Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

We are 1,100 members today! ( ie 17/11/04 )

Poster: A snowHead
[Edit: this is a continuing thread, started when we welcomed snowHead 800. For news of snowHead 1000 scroll down!]

Welcome Chalerarc! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

( for the record 800th member )

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 17-11-04 21:56; edited 4 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It would be interesting to know the recruitment figures for each successive month since February. Maybe one of our computer crazy chipHeads could extract the data in a couple of minutes.

It would take me longer.

Alternatively, how long did the first 100 take, second 100 take, third 100 take etc. etc.?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
361 in February, 178 in March, 50 in April, 26 in May, 35 in June, 44 in July, 57 in August and 52 so far in September aproximately Captain. Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, First Hundred in 6 days, second hundred in 11 days, third in 18 days, 4th in 1 month 5th 1month 2 weeks, 6th 2 months, 7th 3 month 1 week, 700 in 5 months 3 weeks, 800 in 6 months 2 weeks, recently we seem to be gaining 3 to 5 new members per day
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm obviosly Alan and myself think alike Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
as logic dictates David Cool (and would I be right in thinking we both have a soft spot for BTVS ? Wink )
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alan Craggs, can you explain that please ? I've had too much to drink tonight and cannot think what that means Little Angel
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
0 05/02
100 11/02 6days
200 16/02 5days
300 23/02 7days
400 05/03 10days
500 22/03 17days
600 12/05 51days
700 01/08 81days
800 19/09 49days
Little Angel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very interesting. The long-anticipated autumnal acceleration seems to be emerging.

admin, a fun money-raising proposition, depending on your attitude to gambling (positive, I'm sure): open a sweepstake for the date of the 1000th snowHead. Nearest date wins. Bets to be placed by 30th September? Admin retains a sensible cut of the stakes - 30 per cent?

I'll pledge an immediate bet of £10 that we hit that figure on 28 October, should you, admin, wish to turn bookmaker - no obligation!

Can we trust each other not to fix the race? Of course we can!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf, Buffy the Vampire Slayer snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Special gift for the 1000th member? A friend of my wife bought something on a site last week and became the millionth purchaser, thereby winning a holiday to the Caribbean. Allegedly...

Maybe a sticker would be fine for a snowhead though...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alan Craggs, ah thanks for that, yes I suppose she's not bad but I prefer other actresses over her
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith, nice idea but as we have explained before the 1000th "sign up" may not stay that way - hence my "fixing" of the system enabled me to snaffle No 666 but U spoiled my fun Twisted Evil Wink

- and that was just for fun, now if there's money involved........ Little Angel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well...... I could make the counter invisible, say from 950 onwards?
Would that spoil or increase the excitement?

Though i don't think DG was suggesting that the prize go to the 1000 registree themselves. I think the idea is a sweepstake where each participant chooses a day that they think the 1000th member will register.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Still... I can think of a way to guarantee winning, even without the counter Wink
snow conditions
PG, do tell ? After your expose on Snow Awards multiple voting, you're our acknowledged expert on stuff like this. Cool
latest report
admin, yes maybe my point should have been addressed more to michael stocking than DG.

As for "fixing", that would be easy for someone like PG or myself, speaking hypothetically of course, but perhaps we shouldn't encourage such naughtiness by describing how (in case it isn't obvious) snowHead Cool
snow report
Alan Craggs, you are both Moderators so maybe your magic powers could do the trick ???? But D G Orf also seems to be able to analyse past records of membership.
If it's fixable, all bets are OFF. Wink But then most gambling is fixed anyway. Shame - could have been a source of extra income for Admin.
snow conditions
Now we know why governments adopt the simplest most incorruptible method of promoting gambling: the random number generating machine.

The challenge for running this sweepstake is to ensure that new snowHeads continue to register at random, free of influence of any sweepstake competitor.

If the chief objective is to raise a bit of finance for the site, and everyone enters it in that spirit (known in National Lotteryspeak as a 'good cause') we should be free of suspicion and intrigue. But it's true that we can never achieve the perfection of the random number generator, though we'll probably be less open to corruption than a horse race!
ski holidays
Of the 800 members, interestingly 290 have yet to post and only 344 have made 5 or more posts.

Maybe a less "fixable" method would be to make a sweepstake for when there were 500 members that had posted a 5th comment. Mods could not join in of course!!
snow report
kuwait_ian, From my exalted position of Snow Reports Mod alone, my magic powers are about equal to Tommy Cooper's on an off day....
snow conditions
kuwait_ian, my "quick fix" has nothing to do with status here. But I do hear that Tommy Cooper's magical prowess was much underrated. Laughing

(and you can check the membership sign ups on the drop down list as well if you've nothing better to do snowHead snowHead )
snow report
Quote:
if you've nothing better to do

Where did that revelation come from?
snow conditions
Off topic - there's a wonderful statue in a square in Cairo of a geezer in a suit and a fez with an outstretched hand. Probably Kamal Ataturk. Known to all the city's many Expats as 'Tommy Cooper Square'
Not like that.

Am I being thick or what ???? I can understand how you could perhaps 'fix' becoming the 1000th member but not how a guessed date, made well in advance, of when we will hit the mark can be influenced (much).
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, sorry - now it's my turn to be dense (again!) , how is that a revelation?
snow conditions
I'm glad you asked me that one, Alan.
latest report
hibernia wrote:
Welcome Chalerarc! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks for the welcome guys. Very Happy
ski holidays
Back on topic - I doubt if you can run such a sweepstake - gambling is highly regulated and this is a public forum so you cann't hide it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
admin, a fun money-raising proposition, depending on your attitude to gambling (positive, I'm sure): open a sweepstake for the date of the 1000th snowHead. Nearest date wins. Bets to be placed by 30th September? Admin retains a sensible cut of the stakes - 30 per cent?

I'll pledge an immediate bet of £10 that we hit that figure on 28 October, should you, admin, wish to turn bookmaker - no obligation!

Afraid you've lost your bet DG - but not by much! looks like we'll be there before the weekend....
Anything special planned for our 1,000th member? Ideas?
ski holidays
PG wrote:

How about they get a round in for the rest of us?
Laughing
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
PG,
Quote:

Afraid you've lost your bet DG - but not by much! looks like we'll be there before the weekend....

Actually, DG won the bet, as he was the nearest on the basis that there were no other takers. That means that as it was a sweepstake, he gets back his stake, minus the 30% that he pledged to Admin. So, he won the bet, but still lost money - I guess that just about sums up gambling!!!
snow conditions
Only 6 more to go to hit the magic 1000. Hope Admin is ready with the pruning shears to trim any doppleganger snowHeads registering with a second name just for the glory of grabbing the K.
ski holidays
Yes, this is the sort of thing to watch out for.
ski holidays
Quote:

A special avatar perhaps. Dosn't cost anything and would hang around until the lucky member breaks the 500 post level and goes Hors Piste.
snow report
It would be interesting to be able to sort the membership list by date that they last contributed, as I can imagine that at any one period, there are actually very few people that are actually writing in. The 1000 member list doesn't mean so much on a forum, if they are all listening and not contributing. It would also be interesting to see when people last visited, again, I suspect that there are a large number that have stopped visiting.
latest report
Ray Zorro, What ! Do you mean that there could actually be people out there who have lives that don't revolve around Snowheads !! Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
Ray Zorro, In some respects lurking is as important as contributing. Information is being passed on, even if contributors are unaware of the fact. Many people lurk - I've often clicked on the ids of those on line, to discover that those concerned have been members for some time, yet have 0, or very few, posts to their names.

And let's not forget the increasing number of guests who read the forum. The number of actual regular contributors is only one indicator of the importance of a web community.
latest report
A warm welcome to Tim Brown who is officially the 1000th member of SNOWHEADS snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

Break open the champagne, this is a good day!
ski holidays
Welcome Tim - we do hope you will join in the chat. Would be a shame if member 1 K only reads and does not post.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy