Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kitzbühel introduces quota for Russian tourists

Poster: A snowHead
The Austrians have had enough of the Russians. According to a memo leaked to the local press, the ski resort of Kitzbühel has voted to limit the number of Russian visitors to 10% of the total number of guests at any one time. The locals claim Russian tourists lower the tone of the resort by their loud and brash behaviour. The outgoing tourism chief, Renate Danier, has said that the deal was reached by 16 out of 20 of Kitzbühel's four- and five-star hotels and states that only a limited number of Russians are welcome in the Tyrolean resort. ...See:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2007/02/08/dl0803.xml
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/02/08/wski08.xml
http://www.guardian.co.uk/austria/article/0,,2008097,00.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bloody Russians - the Brits aren't even the world's worst tourists any more - we're getting knocked off the top of every league table!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I hesistate to say it but this type of 'cartel' action amongst hotel's and tourist boards is not unheard of.
IFIRC correctly the highest resort in Europe 4/5 seasons ago took action to re-position itself at a superior level in the market by agreeing to control the number of beds available to sections of the coach tour market. Toofy Grin

Price setting by a cartel is illegal, setting quota's on room types/market segment is not wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've never noticed them being any better / worse than anyone else. I mean, how can they be worse than the Dutch or the Swedes (or me)? I've heard they can be a bit demanding of hotel staff and a bit flash with their cash but they're not the ones howling in the streets at 4am. Resorts like Kitz have been asking for it though... a number of years back they were all courting the Russians when their German market started to wobble. Now they've got them and Germany is out of recession, they don't want them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The same thing has happened to a little known ski town in France, only the Scandi's were the target.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The problem is they are not ordinary, decent Russians but crooks and apparatchiks who have come into money without doing an honest day's work.

I have seen them in Egypt and they are loud and pushy and hit the booze hard. Their women dress like tarts. I am told Russians are heavily involved in supplying prostitutes to places like Egypt.

Abramovich and co. do not get questioned about where their money came from by the UK media.
He is tolerated because he puts cash into the UK economy. He has not made the mistake of applying for citizenship like a well-known Egyptian shopkeeper/crook/football club owner.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Latchigo, you forgot conspiracy theorist.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Austrians do not want the Dutch as we are tighter than the Scots. We do not Tip Very Happy
You will often see a Dutchman on slopes at the end of season with his metal detector Very Happy Very Happy
They do not care for the Scandinavians either because they all stay in Apartments bring all there own food or spend as little as they can in the supermakets, get drunk at home and do not go out to bars & restaurants.

I know the type of Russians they are going on about there in St Anton as well. Just step into the St AntonHof on any night. There also flying in on private Helicopters direct to the Hospiz Hotel in St Christoph.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Russians are the new Brits.

Loud, annoying, rude, aggressive and swarming everywhere.

But that is not reason enough to ban them.

Their money (usually Euros or Dollars) is equal to everyone else's.

They have equal right to be there.

The actions of Kitz, if true, are outrageous.

Someone should remind them of another famous Austrian with strong views from the 1930s / 1940s...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Austria is a great country.

Europe's great frontier. They kept out the Ottoman Empire and the Mongols before them.

They are perfectly right to exclude any fekker they do not care for. God Bless Them !
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did notice a massive influx of russians into Meribel this year! They appear to be able tp make the most expensive ski suits appear a bit chavy!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin wrote:
I hesistate to say it but this type of 'cartel' action amongst hotel's and tourist boards is not unheard of.
IFIRC correctly the highest resort in Europe 4/5 seasons ago took action to re-position itself at a superior level in the market by agreeing to control the number of beds available to sections of the coach tour market. Toofy Grin

Price setting by a cartel is illegal, setting quota's on room types/market segment is not wink

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/val-thorens-calls-time-on-dutch/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Intrestingly for a number of years on the trot Wengen suffered 1 week of mysterious break ins each year, purely coincidently this coincided each year with the arrival and departure of a large group of people who came from either Russia or one of the countries formerly in the Soviet Union, normally Wengen is generally crime free save for the rare petty theft
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, Sometimes I impress myself with my memory Laughing
Just couldn't quite remember where I had heard the story wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whitegold wrote:

Someone should remind them of another famous Austrian with strong views from the 1930s / 1940s...

Any establishment in the UK has the right to refuse entry to people who are annoying rude and agressive. Austria is just exercising it's right for the benefit of it's other customers as any other resonable business would do.
ski holidays
An update: Row over alleged Russian quota at Austrian ski resort settled
http://en.rian.ru/world/20070209/60454353.html
snow report
DB wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Any establishment in the UK has the right to refuse entry to people who are annoying rude and agressive. Austria is just exercising it's right for the benefit of it's other customers as any other resonable business would do.

Err, deliberately barring almost an entire race or nation (i.e. Russia) from your establishment because you perceive them to be a bit annoying or downmarket is, let's say, on shaky ground.

Especially when one recalls a famous Austrian who, not so long ago, did some rather unpleasant things to a few people whose attitude and behavior he didn't very much like...
latest report
kerekip wrote:
An update: Row over alleged Russian quota at Austrian ski resort settled
http://en.rian.ru/world/20070209/60454353.html

The Austrians have done an excellent job of backtracking. Top marks.
snow report
I am staying in a hotel in March in Kitz and they advertise that they have a quota on Russians!!

Maybe the Austrians are still pissed over Stalingrad.
ski holidays
There was an article about a month ago in the Herald Tribune about a prominant russian who was arrested in France, I believe, and accused of flying in prostitutes for all the high roller russians who are swarming the resorts. I have noticed this year espescially the huge influx of russians here and they are a bit brash. They should just give them kitzbuhel because it sucks anyway
snow report
Whitegold,

I don't see what the hell Hitler has to do with Russian ski holidays. Have you ever experienced first hand badly behaved Russians in a ski resort?
ski holidays
Hi all, I'm new here so apologies for my first post being so Xenophobic, but a trip to Zell am See at new year incensed me so much that I would actively seek out a resort which was at least made less attractive to folks of the Russian persuasion, and at best banned the bugs. From barging through the lift queues, down the piste, and on two occasions through a ski school group (my girlfriend’s ski instructor was even taking people’s lift passes away), right the way through to nicking all the deserts from the cake trolley on their way into the restaurant then wasting it all (petty I know but you know what it is like when people bug you all week, you start to get annoyed by everything).

People say they are the new English tourists (are we really that bad? Embarassed ), and in the same way I do not represent the En-ger-land, 25 pints of Stella, George Cross wearing brigade, I appreciate that the selection of Russians I have encountered are not a fair representation of their fellow countrymen, the Russians who can afford to travel generally are of the sort I would seek to avoid, in the same way I avoid larger louts by not going to <insert>, it would be great to avoid places overrun by Russian Tourists, Austrian resorts putting a cap on the number of certain guests fantastic idea, at least you would have the option of moving to a different area of the resort if it was getting too ‘Russian’..

/rant
latest report
Welcome to snowHead lenniem, the issue of Russian tourists and their behaviour is one that seems to be on the increase unfortunately. I'm a little uneasy on the ban/quota system suggested by some resorts but it looks like some action is needed to bring them into line.
latest report
Coming into this one a bit late, I raised the same concerns about the attitude of the Ruskies on a thread late last year. Are there any Russian Snowheads who'd like to put their point of view across?
snow conditions
Does being half-Russian but born and raised in Romania and living in London for the last six years count?

I better phone up the hotels in Kitzbuhel.
latest report
Quote:

nicking all the deserts from the cake trolley

What, not leaving so much as a few crumbs of Sahara? Shocking.
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

nicking all the deserts from the cake trolley

What, not leaving so much as a few crumbs of Sahara? Shocking.

Hmmm, thanks for pointing that out (did I mention I was knew?) Laughing

There is only so much proof reading you can do when you are supposed to be working on proper work rather than posting in forums. But if that's the way you want to play...........
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy