Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

dry slope waxing

Poster: A snowHead
I crayoned on some wax the other day and it was great for about 1 minute then wore off.

is a hot wax worth doing? if so how long does wax last on dendix ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
in the old days I used to use wd40 slipped into my jacket pocket. Mind you, they weren't my skis !!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What you need is some really hard wax, eg. CH4 or similar. Iron it on, and leave it there. It sohuld protect your bases for a good hour or two, depending on how aggressive you are. CH3 is even better, but costs alot more. CH4 can be bought in bulk from snowsports wales for a very good price compared to the likes of S&R snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Toko make a wax specifically for dry slope use. Never used it though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks all not too agressive just enough to keep me going faster than students wink

Spyderman, slightly off topic question but when i do my skis should i file/stone base first and then sides or other way around
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret, Datawax Polar X for dryslope use, supplemented with Zardoz Notwax teflon overlay.

For initial edge setting do the base edge first. After that you shouldn't really be tuning you base edge at all, other than to remove any dings etc, otherwise you'll either over bevel it &/or create a 'high base' by lowering the base edge too much. All tuning should be done on your side edge & don't forget to remove the hanging burr when done.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret wrote:
I crayoned on some wax the other day and it was great for about 1 minute then wore off.

is a hot wax worth doing? if so how long does wax last on dendix ?

You make a very good point.

There is emerging research to indicate that waxing skis is mostly a waste of time.

On snow, the wax scrubs off within just a few hundred meters and the sliding benefits are lost for the rest of the day.

The wax disappears even sooner on plastic.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, thanks i will order some polar x when back from proper skiing. On the tuning question i think i just need to get rid of a few base dings so will take it easy on the base edge. cheers

Spyderman, oops Embarassed mixed you up with spyderjon on teh tuning question.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold, i see you are in positive mood as usual
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret,
Quote:

Spyderman, oops mixed you up with spyderjon on teh tuning question.

No problem, I was just about to say the same thing.

Whitegold,
Quote:

There is emerging research to indicate that waxing skis is mostly a waste of time.

On snow, the wax scrubs off within just a few hundred meters and the sliding benefits are lost for the rest of the day.

The ski base is porous, so absorbs the hot wax. the surplus is scraped off, then the base is brushed to reveal the base structure. the benefits are not lost within the first few hundred metres and should last for a couple of days.

Do you go out of your way to be annoying, or do you have to work at it?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't just take my word for it.

The Economist says 'Ski Wax is Redundant' wink

http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=E1_VPDDDDV
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold, Can't read it as don't subscribe. Be a sport and copy'n'paste it here!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold,
It's from Dec14th 2005. 14 months later, still nobody believes them. Don't see the world cup racers going without wax. Wax is a generic term, most 'waxes' don't contain real wax.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
petemillis wrote:
Whitegold, Can't read it as don't subscribe. Be a sport and copy'n'paste it here!

petemillis you looking to save a few quid again? rolling eyes wink Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, Laughing my mates don't call me Pikey Pete for nothing. BTW, Jon, if anybody asks you for recommendations for someone darn sarf to do some ski servicing, I'd be well made up if you could point them in my direction. I've just got a couple of brand new 9 inch discs for my angle grinder (a stone cutter and a metal grinder) so I'm all set for some base prep and edge tuning. I've just swept up all my wax scraping off the floor so if anybody wants their bases waxed I've got planty here. I can do block paving and tarmac work as well.

Whitegold, the wax that's important is the wax that soaks into the base of the ski. The wax you apply to the ski is supposed to be virtually completely scraped and brushed off the base anyway. The Economist is probably basing their story on some emerging research that by some idiot who thought that skis need to have a liberal coating of wax over the base, and observed that the liberal coating is down to a few microns thick after running down a slope. The worse thing to have on a ski base is a thick coating of wax. It slows the ski down and all sorts of crap gets stuck in it - bits of grit and so on.
latest report
petemillis, Laughing.

I fill a large bin bag per week with wax scrapings which I'd be pleased to send to you for 're-cycling' if you pay the postage.
snow report
petemillis, the paper itself is here:

http://epubl.ltu.se/1402-1757/2006/03/LTU-LIC-0603-SE.pdf

take a very close look at the argument against Mantra 1 (page 9, 10) and notice that he never even considers surface tension, merely waves his hand about molecule size.

and, ironically, page 20 has a series of drop contact angle measurements.

"We have never observed any penetration of water", neither has a blind man.

then take a close look at the argument against Mantra 2

Notice he doesn't point out that any -lubrication- effect of the wax is unaccounted for, and that the slurry itself is actually self-lubricating.

Then look at the humidity conditions of Appendix B- Table 2. All over 59% humidity, i.e. situations where we already know to scrape off the surface excess.

sheesh.

Here's reading for you:

http://www.masterskier.com/article.asp?aid=227
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy