Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mark Warner?

Poster: A snowHead
Firstly, apologies if this isn't the right forum for this post - should there be an 'operators' section?

Anyway, I'm off to St Anton with Mark Warner in a couple of weeks. It's the first time I've been with them, and I've been led to believe (mainly by the brochure, come to think of it) that the MW experience is somewhat different to that offered by any of the other tour operators.

Anyone any ideas what I should expect? Is it a 'unique experience'? Will it change the way I think about ski holidays for ever?!

All opinions appreciated!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd be interested to hear any experiences of MW, too.

Have used them for a summer holiday once, and that was once too often. Epitomised all that can be awful about package operators IMO. Have nothing basically against package ops - Sunsail are a superb example, for instance.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Certainly the food and accommodation at Mark Warner's place in St Anton (the Rosanna from memory) was superior to any other chalet I've stayed in. It's very well located too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Food and accomodation as MW La Daille (Val d'Isere) was also good. Can't really comment about the rest of their ski services as we were on an SCGB boot camp, sorry, Off Piste Progression Week - out skiing with guides/instructors all daylight hours and usually too knackered to stay up for the bar.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did your off-piste progress Pete?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, especially the appreciation of how much treking is involved trying to find powder. I still find I tense up on soft stuff though and as a result don't do it very well. Hoped to sort that out in Canada this year but sadly there was no fresh snow while we were there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stayed at a Mark Warner place in Tignes last December. To be honest, the chalethotel was only ok (although well placed for lifts etc.) Bedrooms were tiny and ensuite shower reminded me of one from school! However, the big plus was the staff who were all superb. We thought they were extremely well trained, polite, cheerful and friendly. Given the amount of time we spent in our shoebox of a room, it didn't matter that much and the bar and skiing more than made up for it. I would go with them again. Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pete, sounds like a good excuse to book a last minute holiday to me!! Definitely worth trying fat skis as well - pocket rockets etc - to give your confidence a boost. After that it's just practice I guess.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Perhaps next year I'll have more flexibility.

It is down to practice - I've little fear of ice having skied on so much of it. Confused
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stayed with Mark Warner at Courmayeur last week. No complaints about the staff or the service. Food and drink (lots!) were great. Hotel was good altho' rooms a bit small and our shower was only in one of those half-baths with no curtain!
I'm told that the ski-hosting was great, although I couldn't take advantage of it as the reps seemed only to want to take those of a higher standard - very much contrary to what was advertised before hand.
Any specific questions, feel free to email me altho' I think I've registered my home email address so might be a delay.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’ve had 3 skiing holidays with Mark Warner: twice at Chalethotel Christina in la Plagne and last Easter at Dahu in Courchevel 1850. I’m currently in the process of trying to organise another MW holiday for next week with my 9-year old son.
Each time, I’ve skied with the hosts. Contrary to Tony’s experience, I was all ready to book ski school on my first MW trip after having only one-week’s prior experience and the head host at la Plagne (a guy called Matt, who is a star) persuaded me to give the hosting a go. Needless to say, I loved it and my skiing improved hugely due to the number of kilometres covered.
I have to say that I prefer the catering at Club Med; strangely, I think that MW try a bit too hard with the food when all I want is a nice big bowl of stew & dumplings after a day’s skiing.
I have heard other guests whining about various little problems, but I’ve never encountered anything that I couldn’t get sorted by having a word in the right ear.
I’m sure the quality of the bedrooms varies enormously. Christina’s bedrooms are very utilitarian, whilst those in Couchevel were great. The brochure is fairly honest in its rating of the rooms and if that side of the holiday is important to you (it’s not for me) you may want to avoid those resorts with bedrooms rated with less than 3 fir-trees.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I normally ski with friends (self drive, self cater) but just before Christmas this year managed to fit in an extra week. I went to Mark Warner's Chalet Hotel Dahu in Courchevel and had a really good time.

Single room with no supplement, food and wine absolutely fine and the staff absolutely tremendous - they really tried to make sure everyone had a relaxing and enjoyable time.

Six days' ski hosting (only five expected) and (because the snow was a bit limiting) a day in Val d'Isere and one in La Plagne offered at no surcharge, with ski hosting provided by the MW hosts from those resorts. More than was necessary!

I certainly expect I'll travel with MW again some time in the future.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers all for the responses. MW sound profesional rather than unique (although perhaps that is unique for package operators Wink ). I'll be sure to report back here if there's anything of particular note. Again, thanks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just got a late deal in Tignes for me and the boy next week. I'm expecting good things after the previous MW holidays we've had. snowHead

I'll update you all when I return. Or, if I have a spare moment, I'll do it from there during the week.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I ski with Mark Warner regularly. Generally I've found them to be very good, their staff are very professional, and if you're on your own then the ski hosting is brilliant for making friends. They are a bit more expensive, but I find it worthwhile. I generally stay in The Moris in Val d'Isere, which is adults only, but I'm going to the Rosanna in St Anton in 2 weeks time, so I shall see how that compares (it's adults only as well). I've stayed in their family hotels a couple of times, and it seems to me that they are great at looking after your children, however I have found that the families that can afford to take the whole family, do tend to be a little on the posh side. All in all I would highly recommend them, it's just a shame that they don't go to North America. I intend to carry on using them, until I'm in a position that I can afford to go with Scott Dunn!
snow conditions
What sort of programme do they do with the ski hosting?
ski holidays
Ian, there are three groups, leisurely, intermediate, and the advanced group. It varies depending on the conditions, and the aptitude of the other skiers in the hotel the same week as you. I tend to go out with the intermediates, and have known it to vary from the level of motorway cruising on blues with the occasional red, right up to doing all the blacks in the resort over the course of a week. Quite often there isn't much difference between the intermediates and the advanced in terms of their skiing ability, however the advanced group do tend to ski at a quicker rate than the intermediates. The groups are about eight people, and they show you around the mountain, strictly on-piste. They also book tables at a restaurant for lunch, where you meet up with the other groups. Generally they're very good if you are on your own, or part of an asymetric couple who doesn't fancy "loveskiing" with your partner all day. The ski hosts can also help you with things such as hiring guides, organising lessons and similar.
latest report
Cheers Kramer,
I like the sound of "leisurely"! We've reached the point where we can get down most things at some pace but are a bit nervous about working out our own routes around 'unseen', so ski hosting sounds good. Quite like the social aspect of a ski school class but at the moment I think we need to get some miles to improve our ski=ing.
latest report
If you like the idea of leisurely skiing, let me introduce you to my latest brainwave, the late booked, late season, skiing holiday in Italy. Can't get up too early, cos the piste is like concrete, can't ski too late cos it's slush, so start late, have a late (and extremely long) lunch, in support of the Italian "slow food" movement, have a long "power nap" in the afternoon/early evening, followed by another delicious dinner.
Go away, put a stone on in a week, do hardly any skiing (but lie to people back home), and come back fantastically rested. I find this approach best if combined with a more serious skiing holiday in January.
snow conditions
MW are great. I have been to Christina in La plagne twice, and Cygnaski in Val DIsere once. The BIG problem is the other guest. A bigger collection of self righteous, pompous, whining, whinging, up their own ar** tossers, you could not wish to come accross. "Oh Jemima's creche has no structured play".

At dinner try telling the rest of the table that you are a refuse disposal technician, just for the reaction
latest report
Or tell them you had to get a job in McDonalds because it's hard to get decent employment once you come back out after a stint...
snow report
Nothing really to add to this discussion, just a big thank you to Frosty the Snowmans and Masopa for making me laugh on a dingy Tuesday morning. I do so enjoy this forum.
snow report
Frosty, it's much better in the Moris chalet hotel in Val d'Isere, mainly because it's such a dump. Every time that I've been I've always met some great people. I agree about the other Mark Warner hotels though. Going to try the Rosanna in a couple of weeks (which is also adults only).
snow report
Frosty, I agree with you re some of the people. We had a good time at the Christina in La Plagne but too many kids (we don't have any!!). Ski hosting was great as we are different standards with three different level groups. Unfortunately it was the ski trip where my partner decided skiing "wasn't for him" i.e. loathed every xxxxx minute of it. I am very tempted to try the Moris possibly on my own next year, there was a discussion about it on the dark side, but any further tips would be helpful. Sounds great fun, but maybe a bit on the wild side. Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
Blimey, Sallyanne, you two still together? Confused
latest report
I know, unbelieveable isn't it, but no-one's perfect. He did give it his best shot though, and we do both enjoy our sailing holidays. I will just have to find new skiing buddies, am thinking through some ideas for next year which should be good, there are a surprising amount of lone women skiiers around who don't want to go alone, let alone men. Anyway, some more info re the Moris please!!!
snow report
Sallyanne, it was me who was posting about the Moris on the other side. What else would you like to know?
ski holidays
Well I got back yesterday after another great MW week. I went to Tignes with my nine-year old son. We skied together so no hosting as he's too young. But he joined in the fun with all the other kids in the evening leaving me free to party-on with the adults in the bar.

I agree with Frosty about some of the guests (Tabitha's boots were cold this morning!) but like-minded people tend to gravitate together and then it's great fun taking the pi$$ out of the obnoxious tw@ts that complain about everything.

I've never had a problem on any of the 4 MW skiing holidays I've been on that couldn't be sorted after a word in the appropriate ear. They really do go out of their way to make sure you have a good time.

Oh yes, and the skiing was fantastic too!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickB, Glad you had a good time. The social format at meal times is very good as you are forced to sit with people you do not know. This makes for great fun and encourages mixing. In fairness we have met some top people, some of whom we still keep in touch with.

One excellent night we were surrounded by a group of medic type people from the NW. All they did was whinge about how unsafe the creche was. This was on the 5th night. Eventually one of our group blew up saying how it was unbelievably selfish to ski all day whilst leaving your children in an environment that you considered unsafe!. I swear i saw the tumbleweed blowing accross the table to the sound of a lonely, tolling bell. Excellent operator though, as you say very receptive to criticism.
ski holidays
Interesting reading all these comments as I've always thought the Mark Warner holidays were extremely expensive and ONLY frequented by Hooray Henrys - not that I've actually researched this, just from heresay.

As for comments about the Moris bar in Val, I'd love to add to it but whenever I've been in there I've always come out too drunk to remember! Maybe that's a recommendation...
ski holidays
You want to try being the chalet host trying to deal with people like that and maintain a sense of humour. My son had a lot at half-term who when they had run out of ideas, complained about the height of the dining chairs!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy