Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just booked a summer holiday to Kaprun and was wondering if I happen to find myself skiing on the glacier will I need to pack my salopettes? or would walking trousers do.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Danny, I'd advise waterproof trousers at the very least as the 'snow' basically turns into slush by about 11am. Come midday, every turn you'll make will deliver a 'vortex' of very wet snow that will inevitably end up on your trousers. Salopettes might be a touch warm unless they don't have a lining.

Enjoy the trip and make sure you get an early bus from the town centre as the Kitzsteinhorn lifts are quite a distance from the village.

Ensure you try walking route 723; it's quite steep at the start but opens up beautifully!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Danny, I skied at Kaprun last May, and would agree with Kevin. Walking trousers would be okay, provided you didn't fall, and the sun was out (they'd dry out quickly). If you're brave enough (and good enough!) - try shorts. I took my salopettes, and was grateful for them......I got bored with skiing and experimented with the Dark Side. You definitely need waterproof trousers if you're going to be sat on your bum all day Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Danny, I skied the Kitzsteinhorn glacier in September '02 until about 2 pm on a blue sky day. The snow was soft but by no means "slush" - here and here are two pictures of the area. You can see that it's quite flat Crying or Very sad

I skied in salopettes and felt fine - but then I ski in salopettes here on the dry slope in Summer Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was out on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier in July and the snow was pretty good but did become quite slushy towards midday.
Then a couple of days later we were on the glacier at Val Senales where it was -2c and the area had about 5 cm of fresh overnight snow which was nice and squeaky underfoot....it felt more like January.
You must be prepared for all types of weather and snow conditions if you are on a glacier...so always make sure you have warm and weatherproof clothing with you, even in Summer.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone for your advice and Kevin I will give route 723 a go. Nice pictures Alan, I can't wait now.
Are there any good bars to try out after all it is a holiday Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's a bit quiet in the summer so I'd advise going to Zell am See if you're after some atmosphere in the evening. Make sure you don't miss Zell, however, as it's really worth the visit.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zell is a nice little town, and there are (were) at least 2 internet cafes there so you can report back to snowHeads Razz snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A short but rather depressing article on summer skiing (or it's demise) from French-News.com
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Slight factual error - they've already installed snow cannons on a couple of pistes on the Tignes glacier....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi all just back from Kaprun. The glacier was fun if a little limiting but at least I managed to get one up on Alex (Presland). Austria what a lovely country and great people, I might have to book a last minute deal in January Very Happy .
Kevin you weren't joking when you said route 723 was a bit steep at the start and I agree it was worth it though.
Only 3 months and a few days until La Tania.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Danny, could you post us a "snow report"?

Never been to the Kaprun glacier, would like to know more as I supposed to be making a flying visit there during October half-term for a training weekend.....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PG. I went last Monday and they had had a little snow (not sure how much) on Sunday (12th) two lifts where open and the snow was good in the morning. I spoke to a Dutch lad who was there on the same day but in the afternoon and it was still ok. There was some more snow on Thursday, the web cams in my hotel showed snow down to 2000m but Friday was warm so I'm not sure how well it lasted.
I'm sorry if that's not very specific but that was my first ever snow report Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's great, look forward to many more!

Better to stick reports like that either in the 'Resorts' or the 'Snow Reports' section though, they do get a little lost among all the threads in 'The Piste'... Smile

Were you race training, or just there for fun? Supposed to be going with the GB Children/Juniors for a training camp in October, but it seems a long way to go when Tignes is nearby.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, Danny and I did have a little text message exchange...

Dan: Ah the white stuff and they had snow yesterday. See you Saturday.

Alex: Mutter, mutter... BASTARD! A bad day on the slopes... etc. I'm in the office! Sad

(see my signature for an explanation of the "bad day on the slopes" bit!)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy