Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HEAD Monster iM72 tuning angles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I think the factory angles of my HEAD Monster iM72s are 0.5 base and 1 edge.
Is there ay easy way to check this without buying some expensive tools? ...just for peace of mind Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I checked mine with the help of Spyderjon from new and they were indeed 0.5 base, 1.0 edge
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ok...I guess all I was worried about is whether the shop did any tuning in the meantime.
I guess they wouldn't have done as there's no need to.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just thought I'd pick up on this again.
I had a recent dicsussion about this on Barking Bears and (after some of their posters rang HEAD HQ ! Very Happy ), they were all told the factory settings in the US are 1/1.
I agree it might not be the same in Europe but I can't see why not?
They couldn't see how any ski would come out of the factory with a 0.5 base bevel suited more to expert slalom racers !
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderjon is VERY thorough, mine are definitely 0.5 / 1.0 Spyderjon did say he's seen them at 1.0 / 1.0 as well before. Mine are actually 2005/06 stock (Orange rather than Blue)

Maybe they do it so that it's easier to re-tune them to your personal preference? You can always add more base angle without grinding the base.
Anyway, they don't feel too grabby out on the slopes, so I wouldn't worry too much. Don't forget, they are considerably less stiff than slalom race skis.
I would try them with the factory angles first and just increase the base angle 0.25 deg at a time if you think they need it. I'm happy to keep mine at 0.5
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GordonFreeman, Head factory specs are 1,1 but I've seen plenty at 0.5,1 so the only way to know for sure is to have them checked properly. Many manufacturers ship skis with angles differing from their published specs. The only makes that I've not seen any variance on are Fischer & Atomic.

BTW it's not just slalom skis that are shipped with a 0.5 base, for example many of the K2 T9 'Luv series' ladies skis are shipped with a 0.5 degree base & these have proved extremely popular & are certainly not considered difficult to ski.

Providing they're not too grabby for you a 0.5 base angle is actually better (in servicing terms) as it gives you more leeway for keeping the base edge in good nick before a grind is required/without worrying about over bevelling. If they're a bit grabby at 0.5 you can go 0.7 before going to 1 - or even just add a bit more base angle at the contact points.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy