Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Here's your great-grandparents...

Poster: A snowHead
...who would like to introduce you to head-height ski poles.

Jealous?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David . . . GET A LIFE . . . now! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK, Masque.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like those poles would be better suited to the Cam....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spot on, PG. Also, if one looks at the evolution of the ski pole, it's become a more and more lightweight (in both senses) device. We now have bladers not using them at all.

Is the ski pole heading for extinction?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As always, us boarders are way ahead of the game whilst you dinosaurs on sticks are still trying to work out what to do with your hands . . . sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque, you have been seen using poles. You may recall they're a aid to getting upright again.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Only 'cos I had one working leg and a dislocated shoulder, what's your excuse?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This thread is about ski poles through the ages, not contemporary crutches.

Hypochondriacs are welcome to converse elsewhere.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith wrote:
This thread is about ski poles through the ages, not contemporary crutches.

Hypochondriacs are welcome to converse elsewhere.

Let's see . . . I think that's a perfect metaphore for a modern carbonfibre ski pole.

And regretably my injuries are all too real and demonstratable Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

as long as resorts have flats or even rises, we need 'em to punt along. But for downhill, skiing techniques now hardly need them at all. The 'firm pole plant to initiate the turn' has rather gone out of favour.

What is the point of the single long pole used in telemarking ? Is it just carrying on the tradition or is it functional - like a tightrope walker's balancing pole ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From the few bits of old movie I've seen, the single pole was used for pushing but also steering by applying a kind of fulcrum behind the skis. I wonder if there's a bit of old movie on the web.

I'll also have to dig out the decade when single poling gave way to double poling. Telemarking is, I believe, a separate issue and may actually have come about as a result of using two poles so the skier had a more equal balance and was able to perform comfortable linked turns.

But I wouldn't claim to be an authority on this.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith wrote:

You can ski any piste without moguls without poles but there is a lot more to skiiing than piste bashing.

Your photo must date from around 1900, by 1910 my Great-Grandmother looked like this:

Skieuse circa 1910, massif central, France
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
I'll also have to dig out the decade when single poling gave way to double poling. Telemarking is, I believe, a separate issue and may actually have come about as a result of using two poles so the skier had a more equal balance and was able to perform comfortable linked turns.

The original alpine downhill skiers, using free heel bindings, followed the Norwegian Telemark practice of using a long single pole (called a lurk). One of the original Austrian pioneers of alpine downhill skiing in the late 19th Century was Mathias Zdarsky of Lilienfeld who introduced stembogen (stem) turns, and photographs of him show him using the single pole both to make turns and as a form of outrigger to provide stability and braking. See this site

It was another Austrian, Colonel Bilgeri, who popularised the use of two shorter poles. This so upset Zdarsky that he challenged Bilgeri to a duel! (which fortunately never occurred).

Most modern Telemarkers use 2 poles just like other skiers; the use of a lurk (which I have tried) is a bit of retro style and a fun exercise Toofy Grin

Note to Masque - I usually find that boarders on the flat are quite grateful that I carry poles when I offer them one to grab hold of to give them a tow (as I quite often do) Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair Pink, a lovely contribution. Thanks!

davidof, it all fits into place now. Your great-grandma strikes me, from the photo, as a committed back-country skier.
ski holidays
.........did Venice have some particularly deep snow fall on the canals that year Puzzled
snow report
No, but it's got lots of gondolas. Unfortunately they only travel horizontally.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy