Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking on skiing here at the end of January for a week. Can anyone share any advice/tips on the resort. Such as hotel recommendations, ski schools, favorite piste's. Etc, etc.
Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads, ROB.

It's a while since I've been there, but I'd say stick fairly close to the main town centre. Brochures tend to call places like Nazerein St Anton - but you are a long way from the centre there. Hotels? How deep is your pocket? snowHead You can find out here.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't know if Mark Warner are still running the Rosanna as a chalet hotel, but it's very central and the food was great when I stayed there some years ago.
The best snow is often on the north-facing Albona, above Stuben.
Some of the best and sunniest mid-ability skiing is on the Rendl, which is a separate lift system and often less crowded (important at weekends).
Some of the loveliest off-piste is over the back of the Rendl, just a quick hike above one of the chairlifts to get over the ridge.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I don't know if Mark Warner are still running the Rosanna as a chalet hotel

They are, David. I got the 04/05 brochure this week.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Which has better nightlife, Whistler BC or St. Anton Austria? Has anyone been to both?

Thanks
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If Whistler is better than St Anton it would be pretty spectacular and I've never heard mentioned in those terms.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I suspect that David@traxvax is right, but I've never been to Whistler. At the Notting Hill Carnival there were thousands of whistles, but that's because it's a relatively easy instrument to play. I've never heard a whistle in St Anton (not even a wolf whistle) but I've heard some good music there!

The place is basically a magnet for people who want to have a fantastic time, not under the beady eye of a major North American corporation. However, people have very good things to say about Whistler. Its planned expansion is enormous so I guess it has great things going for it, including 'diverse evening activities' (or whatever the corporate description is).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, Thanks for the input.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have skied St Anton for 25 years at various times of the season.

I would DIY the accomodation you can get a good B&B €25-40 a night. Nowadays last 15 years I always stay in the centre because of an arrangement I have where I can leave my one set of gear there between the seasons however,
The further out you stay IMHO you get better quality B&B,s. I have stayed nearly all over the valley once you get used to the travel its not a problem. BTW. It has greatly improved in recent years with busses and new footpaths. I have even stayed Landeck for the week and taken the 15minute train & skied St Anton. Landeck is cheap,good bars & has way less rowdy drunk idiots.

Whistler does not come anywhere close on the ricter scale to St Anton for Apres/Nightlife and IMNO St Anton isnt even the best place in Austria for Apres/Nightlife its just been hyped up

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 22-11-19 12:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith, What beady eye of a major North American corporation' are you referring to? Whistler is an exellent place for skiing and apres-ski. By your own admission you have not been there. If you want to brag up St Anton, fair enough, but not by denegrating another resort with an incorrect comparison. I've never felt ripped off in Whistler, decent prices on the mountain and off. Austria used to be a cheapish place to ski, but no longer.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The organisation David is referring to is Intrawest, who have bought a significant share in Televerbier and are developing Arc1950. I'm with David on this, I prefer resort ownership to remain with the community so that everyone in the community gains some benefit rather than a business, who will sell resorts if and when they need with no regard for their employees or the community at large. However, this is off topic. Rob you should see if you can hook up with DB he lives in Austria and is a St Anton regular, I know he's going there again this season.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cymru am Byth, yes, I acknowledge that Whistler is a huge draw and - no - I've not skied there. It's just a general point which applies to ski resorts coming under the wing of powerful or multinational development or management corporations.

It's better that business and profit is retained locally by local landowners, rather than being exported, isn't it? Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking anyone who skis Whistler - have a great winter.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David@traxvax, I am well aware who Intrawest are, and I'll stick my neck out and say that I think they do a good job in developing ski resorts. My point is that they do just that and don't 'police' the place. I'm not aware of what community existed in Whistler before its development, but I'm absolutely certain that they could not have developed the resort to its current state. (I remember reading about some trappers or miners who had to eat their horses to survive the winter there, but I don't think they hung aroung).
There are differing types of resort about, and by necessity development and ownership of these resorts differs. As customers we can pick and choose which of these we prefer and pay our money accordingly. My reply was in response to an accusation that was not based on fact but a preference!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The pistes off Gampen and Kappel are normally in good condition. A nice warm up run would be from the top of the Schindler down to Stuben via the Ulmer Hutte. However, I always seem to peel off-piste before completing it snowHead

I've always found the food better down in St Christoph and Stuben. Best for loos in St Christoph(can't remember the name) - slide access and automatic loo seat cleaners. The Underground has mediocre food but great live music in the evenings.

stanton, Any suggestions for accomodation for long weekends? I normally have to call chalet companies 1 or 2 days prior to departure, which is a bit risky!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Goldsmith, My reply to David@traxvax, was penned before I viewed your last comment, so if I've prolonged the exchange too far my apologies.
My point about choice is confirmed when I say that I'll be skiing accross the mointain from him this year in La Thuile. I have been to St Anton and would like to return, but I'm put off by the prices charged to stay there now.
snow report
Kit Wong

I never would use a Chalet company, I hate the whole concept.

As long as you not going over New Year you should have no problems finding a B&B at the weekends. You can just turn up without a booking. Outside the tourist office all the free Rooms are listed with a free telephone but now that is the same system linked to the Official Website. www.stantonamarlberg.com

Underground Food. YEs its mediocre, it used to be much better but the owner keeps the prices attractive by disguising smaller portions on smaller (ie plates look full). As for the music , there 5-7 years overdue for a clearout of the musicians in that place. THere used to be new musicains every seasons.

Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy