Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cooling the planet: the scientists spell it out

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Scientists in Stockholm are proposing new targets and technologies to suck CO2 out of the atmosphere, return the carbon to the earth, and get global warming under control.

The figures and challenges suggest substantial changes to our 'lifestyles'.

This report from the EuroScience Open Forum 2004 by BBC Online.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
As long as that pesky gulfstream switches off, I'm right with them snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From the article:
Quote:
Scientists speaking here at EuroScience Open Forum 2004 said governments should be exploring the potential of Negative Emissions Technologies (NETs) which could actively remove CO2 from the atmosphere

Didn't we use to call Negative Emissions Technologies "trees"?

There's another series of articles on BBC online recently, banging on about how marginal agriculture is in many areas of the UK now. Maybe one of our contributions to reducing CO2 could be re-forestation.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 1-09-04 15:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Better get it sorted out quickly then because some of the models I've seen are far worse than those quoted here.
If Greenland melts then it's goodbye gulf stream without the southbound colder deep currents, so it's 'global cooling' for us.
The worse scenario though is if the carbon dioxide global warming kills off part of the brazilian rainforest, so that becomes a contributor to emissions instead of Negative Emission Technology. And it doesn't end there. At this point the ocean warms enough to release Methane currently stored at depth due to the temperature and pressure. This then increases warming, heats the ocean some more, more methane released. Mehtane is more of a greenhouse gas than CO2.
No skiing if this takes place. Not much of anything really. The earth will balance it always does. Probably come back to normal then, cos we won't be polluting, we won't be here.
Have a nice day there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did anyone notice the other article about the village sinking into the sea and wonder what the effects on the trans-Alaska pipeline, say, might be?

Let's do our part: more wood-core skis per capita!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The most dramatic and genuine thing the government could do immediately is to halt further airport expansion.

But we should also push for international agreement on this, so the UK is not put to competitive disadvantage. But it's a nonsense for aircraft pollution to be 'isolated' from the disciplines of the Kyoto protocol on reducing CO2 emissions.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very true, unfortunately it is a fact that governments all over the world have to look after their national interests before their enviromental interests, to fail to do so means they get removed from office, unfortunately in countries such as the USA buisiness interests far exceed any enviromental concerns, amazingly the US has admitted that the long term enviromental issues are likely to be far more hamful to themselves than any terrorist activity, but dealing with terror is much easier to do with guns than looking after the planet Crying or Very sad

Until the peoples of the world come together to demand action no action will be carried out.

comments such as

It's too damaging to our economy
Our people don't care
Our scientists do not agree that there is any problem
What can we do about it
It's not our responsibility

have all been used to deny responsibility or to justify no action.

It's already too late for thousands of people throughout the world, for many others time is limited but until their own people start dying (and sometimes not even then) governments will not carry out any significant action
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can't imagine that the destiny of the Maldive Islands (possibly the nation with the lowest life expectancy in terms of remaining above sea level - no land higher than 2m-3m, as far as I know) will concern the major powers.

Interestingly the Maldive Islands are an Islamic state (as far as I'm aware).

Sorry I've not done a fact check on the above, but I'll try to confirm later.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith wrote:

Interestingly the Maldive Islands are an Islamic state (as far as I'm aware).
Correct - and they are going to need God on their side. But unlike some Islamic states, non Muslims can get a drink. Pragmatic - since all they've got going for them is tourism and some fishing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith, maybe we should make the politicians who refuse to accept that there are any problems go and live on the Maldives for a while, perhaps it would change their attitude but I doubt it Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The devastating hurricane season of 2004 is being linked to a significantly warmer Atlantic ocean. Whether that's linked to a warmer atmosphere is debatable, but it's raising additional concern about wild weather this year.

Yesterday's Observer newspaper ran this story.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok now with referance to this, does a warmer Atlantic mean more moist air over the Alps (and thus more snow) this winter or less ?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Regarding the Scottish ski areas, it would be interesting to know if sea temperatures off the west coast are higher than normal, as the Atlantic tends to be the source of the Highlands snow cover.

The south-westerlies and westerlies have tended to dump too much rain, and not enough snow, in recent winters.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
The devastating hurricane season of 2004 is being linked to a significantly warmer Atlantic ocean. Whether that's linked to a warmer atmosphere is debatable, but it's raising additional concern about wild weather this year.

Yesterday's Observer newspaper ran this story.

It's not likely to be a warmer atmosphere at least not this year. It seems like many areas of the planets are significantly cooler this year at least that what this analysis seems to be suggesting.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lager, Interesting so if Europe does cool this winter and land always cools faster than the sea, we could indeed have a bumper snow year, I guess we will just have to wait and see what the next coiuple of months brings
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy