Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone been to Lapland?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are considering our next trip skiing and since I have always wanted to see the Northern Lights, Lapland seems ideal..... plus, my mother in law is going to accompany us this time, she has never been on a winter holiday and as my father in law died last yr, we have asked her to come with us. (Free babysitting had nothing to do with our decision - honest!!!!!!! LOL)

Cheers guys!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never been but did research it a couple of years ago. Tempting though it may be (for the kids) to go at Christmas, you are much better going later in the season where the days are longer and you have more chance of seeing the Northern Lights.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Indeed, timing would be important. I've skied in Lapland in late May, which I thought was a bit too late. Maybe look at mid April to early May.
I don't know the seasonality of the Northern Lights - I didn't see them - but the landscapes are spellbinding anyway.
If you go to northern Sweden you can take in the Norwegian fjords as well. There's the Ice Hotel near Kiruna, and a couple of ski resorts north of there, including Riksgransen. A few miles further along the railway is Narvik in Norway, which is a fairly plain port, but has a dramatic ski hill.
I've not skied in northern Finland.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We are definately not going at Xmas this yr (my mum has terminal cancer and may be her last Xmas........ thats why I havent been on the boards much recently, too busy driving up and down that dastardly M1) but will be going 6th March, same sort of time of yr we normally go. I have thought long and hard, the Crazy Reindeer apartments seem ideal for what we need including half board at the hotel...... so looks like I will be going somewhere new this time! March, day time is 12 hrs and I think, the Northern Lights are good at this time of yr (I will be furious if I DONT see them!!!!). Ski piste seems fairly limited, but we have to think about our lad, who will be 5 by then and it will be his second yr...... the ski school reports are excellent for beginneers and children, plus the bonus of mother in law to babysit if we want a few hrs on slopes and he is tired. I also like the idea of a transfer time of 20 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fx snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fruity, once you've done that you could check out the Krazy Kanguruh apartments in St Anton!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fruity, if you do decide to make the trip, I'd very strongly recommend a brief stay at the Ice Hotel if you can fit it in. It's awesome. They organise trips out to see the Northern Lights well away from ambient light. The hotel is incredible, the hospitality superb and if you like vodka, the Absolute Bar is awesome. You can also enjoy treks with the Sami people (indigenous Laplanders) and learn about their culture in a very natural, uncommercial way. At the time of year you're looking at, they will also have the ice version of the Globe Theatre constructed and in full swing.

There's not much in the way of skiing in the immediate area, but if you're in that part of the world, it's well worth considering. If the urge to ski becomes too great, you can hire a husky to pull you along on the skis they rent out for just such a purpose!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Fruity, nice to see you again Very Happy but I'm very sorry to hear about your mum Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Fruity. Good that you're back! Say hello to your Mum from me. If you want to meet up for a quick drink anytime you're up here, just PM me - but I warn you - I know absolutely nothing about Lapland snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Fruity, see my post under late season in scandiland (under the resorts section) for some gen on Riksgransen, it doesn't open until February though, when the sun comes up again!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Maggi, its been a rough few months and mum has been very ill during the past 6 months .... the last lot of chemo didnt work. She is back on chemo again, but down to 7 stone, counts still rising (found that out today Sad ) still, she never gives up hope and may get a bit more remission if this treatment does its stuff (will know more at Xmas time)..

We have booked Lapland though for the 6th March!!!!!!! Mum insists life goes on... Wink she is still herself (you remember her sense of humour from the old days!) but is just so weak.

Will promise to ring for a bevvy next time I am up (first wkend in Oct - my infamous birthday!) if I get chance!!!

Thanks Steve, must take a look at that info. WE are going to Levi
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fruity, Levi is an amazing place, the skiing is fine and there is masses to do off the slopes, it can be incredibly cold, we saw -37c in the village on our second visit although the week before it was +6c! March is a great time to go, the weather should be great, snow depths will be fine and the days are longer.

The only drawback are those damn T bars!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy