Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

been to alagna?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I have recently come across a resort in Italy called Alagna. It's pretty small and underdeveloped at the foot of monte Rosa but seems to have quite a name for itself as a great off piste resort.

http://www.alagna.it/

Has anyone been there? Any info about the resort would be appreciated.

Diarmuid
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I skiied there we were limited to the glacier as it was early season and it wasn't safe enough to venture off piste so don't go in early January unless they've had good snow fall. Its very cold at that time of year too.

The resort itself is very quiet and not your typical ski resort - more of a village with a few hotels. I personally disliked it as it wasn't very welcoming and it was very quiet but if you're are going purely for the skiing then it should be fine. As I understand it there are links to other resorts on the off-piste trail but I can't remember the names (not much help sorry!) but I'm sure others can help you out with that one.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Diarmuid, as hayley suggests, go there when lots and lots of snow has accumulated and the weather turns better. Maybe late March or April.

Also, think about staying in the next (linked) valley of Gressoney which is more accessible. Gressoney Trinite has the best placed accommodation.

Or you can stay in one of the high mountain refuges in the spring. They looked really special to me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hayley t Were you there in Jan 2002 by any chance? I heard that winter was terrible until Feb. I am in a position to go at short notice for weekends so I can wait until the conditions are good.

David What is la Trinite like?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Diarmuid, it's a small satellite village of the main resort - Gressoney St Jean, which is a few miles down the valley and has more restaurants etc.

But for skiing access, Trinite is definitely the one. If you want to stay in St Jean and don't have transport there's a bus up and down the valley. It's not very frequent, but we found it reliable.

Trinite has a few hotels and shops. Not a lot there, but all within a few yards of the chairlift.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, Is there anywhere you haven't been to ? Puzzled
(I'm only jealous)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Diarmuid, no I went a few years ago now so it may have become a bit more geared up to tourists since, but it doesn't look like much has changed from the pictures. Accumulation of snow was poor as it was early Jan, which limited the skiing. Access to the mountain also took ages. David G. is best placed to make recommendations on other resorts in the area I imagine!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
masmith, I have to disappoint you. I've been to about 80-90 ski resorts, with repeat visits to too many of them. Some colleagues have been to hundreds of different resorts.

The Monterosa ski area we're discussing here - Champoluc, Gressoney and Alagna - is so exceptional that I could hardly avoid going there! La Grave is its equivalent in France, and Mad River Glen the US 'version'.

We need more of these unspoilt challenging places.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I went to Gressoney in January 2002 when there was very little snow, so we bussed to Cervinia/La Thuile where conditions were better. Gressoney La Trinite has easy access to the slopes. The hotel we stayed in was fine, with good food and a bar but the resort was not "jumping", far from it. We did not see that as a minus but you might. Easy access from Turin, motorway a lot of the way then up the valley to the end of the road.You can access La Thuile, Cervinia and Courmayeur relatively easily in good weather if you have transport and fell the need to move around
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gressoney La Trinite is the best base for the Monte Rosa. Good for access, zero nightlife. You can still access Alagna from Gressoney and also acess Champoluc in the next valley to the west. If you're into off piste skiing and the snow/weather is cooperative, this is one of the best places to go anywhere. It's a huge complex with no people off piste. The local guides are great. Check in with Carlo Cugnetto at the Hotel Dufour in Gressoney La Trinite. With a short heli ride from the top of the lifts in Gressoney you can do a looong one day trip over the Monte Rosa to Zermatt and back.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Went to Champoluc last year late season. Didn't get quite as far as Alagna but I think the area's are similar. There should be a new lift (was build and cable run but not commissioned last year) to properly joing Alagna in with the Gressoney valley (without having to mnake itineraries).

Champoluc/Gressoney have no on-piste challenges but loads of off piste. In other resorts they's have a red run and alongside it a black. At Champoluc they just don't show the black one. I suspect Alagna is similar. So, check your insurance for off piste and its then excellent.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy