Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who collects all the lost items…

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
that fall from skilifts and other places? I was wondering what happens to everything lost on the lifts etc. A ski guide I met last year was off-piste and someone lost both skis in a deep ravine after falling, they tried digging and probing to find them but gave up ~ he was thinking about using a metal detector to find them as they were expensive skis. Is it a case of losers, finders, keepers, or do they have patrols to clear up the mountains and if so what happens to it?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went up the mountains above our place as the snow was melting this year and saw a reasonable collection of odd gloves and poles but nothing that would make a set. The most worrying find was the front third of a ski boot. Gawd knows how that came off - the plastic was sheared through.

There was some stuff that looked like it had been there a few seasons - some broken slalom gates with old logos on them so in our area tidying up in the summer isn't a priority.

Not sure of the local legal situation but in the UK the principle of abandonment would apply - although this probably wouldn't kick in until the person who'd lost the gear had had a reasonable time to collect it after the snow had thawed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

The most worrying find was the front third of a ski boot. Gawd knows how that came off - the plastic was sheared through.

Not that unusual with old ski boots, the plastics tend to suffer with fatigue, but usually the heel and toe areas go first making it impossible to lock the skis in the bindings safely, sometimes however those are replaced and then the boot shell can go
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
One of our guests had a back entry boot that shattered as they skiied along - a good few years old it was (ten or more I'm guessing) and apparently the plastic just wasn't able to cope with the hot-cold change, particularly with the modern use of boot warmers over night. Luckily they were not hurt, although had they been a more competent skier or moving at speed it could have been a different story...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I lent an old pair of second hand skis and boots to a friend who was up skiing at Glenshee with me a couple of years ago. First time he had skiied for a few years and we'd got most of the way over to Glas Maol when he complained he was having dificulty get the skis to turn. When I looked at his boots one was completely cracked across the toe. Headed straight back, but by the time we got back one boot had completely disentegrated and the other was starting to go. Both still clipped into the bindings OK, just didn't attach to the foot very well Very Happy

Most embarassing.

Cheers
Dave
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Former ski racer, and more recently ski filmaker and cameraman, Stuart 'Fitzi' Fitzsimmons has a famous story of drying a pair of ski boots on a radiator at Hillend ski slope near Edinburgh.

They melted.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can't remember her name but Paul McCartneys new wife said on the Parkinson show that her false leg fell off complete with boot and ski. I can't remember if and how she got it back though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin Vince wrote:
that fall from skilifts and other places?

I do, when I go up to help out with resort cleanups in the late spring.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If anyone's finds a brand new Sun & Mountain lip salve when running Chanrossa, the black run above C1650 towards C1850, it's MINE.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Once saw a fence made up of old ski poles with wire strung between - I assume the farmer just collected them each year and recycled?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy