Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Not long now

Poster: A snowHead
It may soon be time to put away your bikinis and stop frolicking in the summer sun - yes that means you too David Goldsmith. The mornings are becoming that bit nippier (is that a word?) and it's starting to get dark before your bedtime but fear not the winter is drawing that bit closer every day. If this doesn't seem at all familar to you it's probably because you're living in New Zealand. For those of us not living in New Zealand or Suffolk for that matter, it may only take a few weeks before there's snow to be skied by you.

I don't want to appear obsessed with this skiing lark there is clearly more to life than skiing (or boarding) but lets face it, not much more.
Just to get the stoke (it's one of those American buzz effect words not Stoke on Trent) going I was thinking of running a thread on glacier conditions in Austria and was thinking we could extend it to other countries where they eat a lot of cheese/chocolate.

Do any of our other expats (who have run away from England on tax/criminal/CSA/sexual grounds - please delete as applicable) feel like giving us a report of the glacier conditions near to them?

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts.php
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB, that's all very well, but what are the prospects for

wok racing, this autumn?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My interest free period on my credit card came to an end yesterday, whic was a bit of a shame (yes, it;s related, bear with me). I finally had to pay for this year's trip to Fernie (see elsewhere on snowheads for details), whic has left me rather less affluent than before : I did so like the idea of having several thousand pounds in my bank account, rather than just several pounds (and around my waist too Sad).

However, that means good news too, as it was a 6 month interest free period, and the means we're more than half way through the year, and according to my caculations, today (Wed 25 Aug) it's 19 weeks and 3 days till our trip to Val Despair.

Has the snow started falling yet? I want good cover this time, after least years Flaine trip Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB, it's close now, you can about taste it in the air as you say. Looking over at the hills I can see fresh snow after some of the storms. If the current weather pattern keeps up it should be a good autumn on the glaciers. I've not been out for a few weeks personally, the local glacier is shut till October 9th but I ought to go use my summer season pass for Tignes. I'll be over at Saas Fee in a couple of weeks which I reckon will be excellent.

The snow-forecast "open in summer" is literally correct, "open right now" would be more use though, in fact we could probably do that here ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David G,

As you are well aware Wok Racing is the biggest thing to hit the slopes since mono-skiing so the prospects are very good indeed. Unfortunately Wok racing wasn't incorporated into the current Olymplc games in Athens but that won't stop Wok racers training on the glaciers this Autumn for the world championships.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Excellent, DB
No doubt you'll be going for maximum speed, in which these preparation tips might be of help.
Personally I'm tuning up the outside of the wok rather than the inside, but you're welcome to follow these tips.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ise wrote:
The snow-forecast "open in summer" is literally correct, "open right now" would be more use though, in fact we could probably do that here ?

Yes as soon as people find out for sure places are running (quite often at this time of year snow and lift operating reports haven't been updated since spring) then by all means throw up the info here. Amount of snow, new snow fallen and lifts operating is all good info. Details of cheap flights/accommodation may also help those who need to get some on the cheap.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
149 days for me...........
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It snowed on the Hintertux glacier on 21.8.4, and I'll be there soon....65 days and counting!
snow conditions
 The cricketer
The cricketer
La Tania is 17 weeks 4 days 22 hours 57 mins
Les Arc is 28 weeks 1 day 22 hours 57 mins

I could give you the seconds but they keep changing Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The local radio station in Geneva forecast snow down to 2000m tomorrow! Caused quite a stir at work this morning. Of course, the locals say early snow means less snow during the season Crying or Very sad

But I ain't a local Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ise wrote:
DB.....................I've not been out for a few weeks personally, the local glacier is shut till October 9th but I ought to go use my summer season pass for Tignes.

Back in 'civilisation' (pc, web access etc), haven't a clue what the conditions are like on the glacier, but it started to rain on the autoroute after Grenoble and it's pretty chilly in BSM right now....

The idea is to spend 4/5 days at Tignes from the coming weekend, assuming it's worth it.... let me know if you decide on a trip....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Georg Hackl.

Yes I know what you are thinking, Georg Hackl Luge Gold medalist (and quite a few other Silvers and Bronze medals), the first person to win a medal in five consecutive winter Olympics, so what?

But what you probably don't know (because I haven't told you yet) is that Georg is the current Wok world record holder with a peak speed of 79,12 km/h. (Stefan Raab is the all time peak speed record holder with 80,02 km/h back in 2003).

Wok racing like any other sport requires talent, fitness, dedication and a change of underpants after the race. The world is your oyster, the Wok is your tool, the snow is coming ........
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, what are the rules governing the use of non-stick woks?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PG, I'm doing a trip to the UK where I expect condittions to be poor Very Happy I'm in France over the weekend but I've got some work with the flats to do. After that we're moving in Germany, downsizing the house to a flat so I'll be there sorting that out. My deadline is to have it all done for October 9th when Les Diab' re-opens ....
snow report
David@traxvax wrote:
DB, what are the rules governing the use of non-stick woks?

Under FOCK rules (Federation of Chineese Kitchen equipment for racing) only the inside of the WOK can be non-stick. This is actually an advantage for after race cleaning whenever the riders touch cloth and then break/follow through.
ski holidays
ise, Well I'm not sure you're missing too much... after posting I checked out the French forum which showed the glacier looking like this ... and this ... a little over a week ago, August 17th!! Much discussion there about the viability of the glacier late July/early August.

Still there's some mention of fresh snow over the last few days, and it's chucking it down right now, and pretty cold (well cold for me anyway after leaving the south yesterday afternoon and 30°C).

This photo from August 18th, also on the Skipass forum.
snow conditions
Glaciers can vary enormously in late summer / early autumn. I've skied the Stubai at the end of August on thick fresh snow which fell as low as 1800m, and the Tignes glacier in September which was knackered and hard.

As always, it's down to forecasts and a bit of luck.
snow conditions
PG, blimey...... easiski was saying it was ok at LDA though.

took me a while to even work where the 2nd pic was taken there.
snow report
Doesn't your bum get a bit warm when wok racing? Also, in which order does one add vegetables and spices?
snow conditions
My only glacier is inside my bar's drinks fridge - a defrost long overdue. Welcome back PG, you've been missed.
snow report
Kramer wrote:
Doesn't your bum get a bit warm when wok racing? Also, in which order does one add vegetables and spices?

It ain't arf hot .....

ski holidays
Snow info for Austrian glaciers

http://www.bergfex.com/tirol/schneewerte/

Tiscover link

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 28-08-04 18:13; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
I am apalled at the state of Tignes in PG's pic. We were getting a bit grey, but not as bad as that! It snowed Thurs, but we're closing today until the Mondial during the last week of October/first weekend of November (all Saints).
Therefore if any of you dedicated skiers are looking for a pre-season 9 days I recommend it. You can't always ski below the glacier, but last year 2,600 was possible all week, and it snowed so much that I skied down to my house on Sat Nov 1st.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Help - - - Mod needed. Can someone fix whatever has changed the width of this page (maybe DB's inordinately long URL). TKS in advance
ski holidays
kuwait_ian wrote:
Help - - - Mod needed. Can someone fix whatever has changed the width of this page (maybe DB's inordinately long URL). TKS in advance

Sorted
snow report
Hang on....I haven't had my fill of windsurfing/sailing yet!
ski holidays
Yes it's that time again. The world wok racing championships are taking part in Winterberg. Last year speeds of up to 90 km/h were recorded. This year speeds of up to 150 kmh (ca 95 mph) are to be expected on the new course.

http://tvtotal.prosieben.de/tvtotal/media/images/specials/wok_wm_2005.jpg

The team line ups are as follows ...

TV total
Stefan Raab, Max Mutzke, Dominik Krämer, Herbert "Herb" Jösch

Nissan Racing Team
Elton, Simon Gosejohann, Axel Schmidt, "Wildcard"-Gewinner

Fisherman's Friend Profi-Team
Georg Hackl, Christoph Langen, Silke Kraushaar, "Wildcard"-Gewinner

Red Nose Day
Mirja Boes, Lars und Ande von Mundstuhl, Matthias Opdenhövel

ProSieben
Joey Kelly, Stefan Gödde, Charlotte Engelhardt, Lukas Hilbert