Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Now there's a novel plan ........

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
......................to get Oldies to take up skiing.
According to this article from the wonderfully named Wodonga Border Mail Falls Creek is promoting a special 'Learn To Ski' week for the over 50s.

Something else for Saga to look into, perhaps, as it spreads it's ever widening net of activities for the elderly.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oy, kuwait_ian, watch who you're calling elderly! Three of our skiing group are 70, with a sprinkling of over 60's too. Quite a few learnt in their 40s and 50's.

Incidently, a few years ago, a friend of mine rang Tamworth Snodome to book snowboarding lessons for a birthday treat for a member of her family. After giving his name, she asked if there were "age related" reductions. "How old is your son?", asked the receptionist. "He's my husband, and the lessons are for his 65th birthday!"

And no, they didn't Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I met an American on the way to Munich and Austria for his first ski holiday about 20 years ago. From memory his age was 63. My cousin began at 50, and she's really enjoying the sliding.

If the sport is taught with a supportive and sensitive approach on unthreatening terrain it's open to many moderately fit people to take up in their 50s and beyond. I think this is a great initiative.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 21-08-04 14:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
maggi, I'm 55 and don't consider myself elderly. Bad choice of word - I agree. Sorry. Wink
And right now, one of our more experienced members is viewing the forum. Nice to have Ott Gangl back in snowHeads.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the oldest beginner I have ever tought (so far) was 82 and his wife was 78. By the end of a week (1 hour private lessons per day and 1 hour practise) they could both snowplough and one could veer slightly left, while the other could veer slightly right. They didn't quite manage turning, but realised a life's ambition - brilliant. Very Happy

The oldest person I have ever tought who became quite a decent skier (race camps, blacks etc.) started when she was 64. She may have been exceptional though having been a doctor when women weren't allowed careers, and having spent some time in the army! She also drove a Porche 911!!

There's no age limit in my view to starting to ski. 50's are quite normal, but thanks for the idea about Saga - I'll write to them immediately, I hadn't thought of it. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Easiski, make sure you use their full name; Sex And Games for the Aged.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
maggi wrote:
Oy, kuwait_ian, watch who you're calling elderly! ....

Too right! Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wont they put their hips out? NehNeh

Im allowed to be cheeky - I have 2 weeks of flippant youth left!
Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

thanks for the idea about Saga - I'll write to them immediately, I hadn't thought of it.
easiski, once you're on their mailing list dynamite won't shift you off it. Hope you get some business out of it. They're more persistent than Time/Life Amsterdam at sending unwanted brochures. Crying or Very sad

Older ski racers = Over 30......... Not my words but those of Snowsports GB according to this article posted on a well known Ski Club Laughing Laughing

And a good article including health and fitness advice on this topic from skimag.com

And wrinkly power gets good discounts by forming a bunch called the Over The Hill Gang
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So whats wrong with oldies skiing? I'm still in my 'roaring forties' but I met a woman aged 68 a few years ago who took up skiing at 64 after her husband died. Okay she had to wear knee protection but was always one of the first out and last back to the chalet (and quite a lot later than most of the rest of us). She certainly got my respect ~ good on her I say.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In the DHO we have a member who is over 80 and still joins in with the annual downhill mass start race which is run on the Ladies Downhill race course above Grindelwald (ok he comes in last unless there are fallers but he still gives it a good go )
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy