Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can a Mondo Point 28 be marked as 328mm?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I have just sold my old Saloman ski boots on ebay but the buyer is saying they are not a 28 MP, but are in fact 28.5. Nowehere on the boot does it say the size, but it does have 328mm stamped underneath.

I purchased these boots from new a couple of seasons ago for myself and have worn them on 3 trips to the Alps. I'm a UK size 8 1/2 but bought these boots because I have wide feet and smaller sizes were uncomfortable. I was sure they were a size 9, could I be mistaken?

The old Ebay link is : ebay item 230060961454

Or if that doesnt work the item no is: 230060961454
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shamone, as I understand it, the boot shell on a 28.0 and a 28.5 is the same size. They just vary the size of the liner to get the half size fit.

I'm not sure the sole length has anything to do with the sizing, and that's the 328mm bit.

However I'm sure one of the boot guru's will be along soon to put you right. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shamone, welcome to snowHead

the shell in a 28 and a 28.5 in ski boots is the same, the 328mm is th sole length of the boot and in that model which is externally long that is for a shell 28/28.5 there is most cases is absolutly no difference between the two sizes, somethimes the thickness of the insole, but that is about it

depending on the boot company they will mark the boots up with differing conversions to UK sizes Tecnica for example will make 28/28.5 as 9 -9.5 UK whereas salomon may mark it as 9.5-10uk,

in the store we measure the foot on a mondopoint measure and then look at a shell check to confirrm that the boot is indeed the correct size

best thing to do when you are looking for new boots is get to a fitting shop and get the correct size and shape and have them worked on if they need to be made wider

hope this helps to resolve your question

regards

Colin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shamone, told you wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marc gledhill, I new you'd come good sooner or later wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many thanks for the info
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry to drag this on but I've sent the buyer a link to this post and he still does not accept that the boots are size 9 / 28MP.

To quote his reply 'Why not simply look at a new pair of Salomon boots size 9 and see the sole length for your self. From my investigations you will find it is 315mm not 328mm which makes it a significantly smaller shell than the ones you listed '.

I don't have access to a ski shop locally so was wondering if anyone here has a Men's Salomon size 9/28MP if they could check the biding size stamped on the bottom. I would love to clear the mess up either way so if it says 315mm I'll be glad to refund his money.

Thanks in advance, Shamone
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shamone, Shell lengths as follows, varied makes
26/26,5 - 303/305mm
27/27,5 - 311/317mm
28/28,5 - 323/328mm
29/29,5 - 332/337mm

I also confirm that no manufacturer makes shells in half sizes and that the Salomon shells are indeed the same for 28 and 28,5. If it's any help for your buyer, a very small insignificant part of one of my old job's was doing bug all while I watched somebody else design skiboots on CAD. Happy now SZK? Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 19-12-06 14:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LARGEZOOKEEPER, ? That Marine Biology Degree carries alot of weight! Cool
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, You'd be suprised, sorry if I'm not worthy rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shamone, The data quoted by LARGEZOOKEEPER is correct for most makes. As stated, the Salomon shells do not differ between half mondo point sizes, so the 28 and 28.5 are the exact same shell with different liner.

The Salomon shop manual states the length for the 28/28.5 Performa boot to be 329 mms - and this has been the case for the past few years at least. If you'd like a PDF copy of the Salomon manual that states these details, feel free to let me know.

I myself have a Salomon Gun 27.5 which is a shell size 315, as marked on the boots.

However, your buyer might have a point in that the Salomon sticker on my boots states the following: 27.5 mondo, 43 european shoe size, and 9 UK shoe size. It looks like the mondo size you supplied in your ebay ad is correct, but that the shoe size listed for a Salomon Performa boot size 28.5 would not be a 9 but a 10...

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 17-12-06 12:58; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skibomb, I'd have a word with the guy designing the stickers then! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Possibly snowHead But it IS the way Salomon advertise and sell their ski boots...

I wouldn't really quibble with relating 43 european to 9 UK, but couldn't say for sure how that relates to 315 mm feet.

But I can say with absolute certainty that someone who wears a size 9 shoe will be absolutely swimming in a Perfroma shell size 328 mm....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shells need to be measured internally in mm and also the foot, it's the only way to be sure. Salomon are by far not the worst at this, Lange win the gold for the confusing sticker/shell size debate.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, True. Unfortunately, in this particular case though, I would personally think that selling a Salomon 28/28.5 mondo size as size 9 is an inadvertent mislabelling. A 328 shell size will be way too big for someone that wears a 9 shoe - I know, because I wear a size 10 shoe and my first Performas were a 10/328 size as well, and they were very 'roomy' Very Happy
ski holidays
A UK size 9 will normally be in a 27/27,5 shell from Salomon
ski holidays
Correct. One final noteShamone: I have a pair of Performas 28/28.5 329 mm, and they are labelled as UK shoe size 10 by Salomon.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy