Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Brits on tour"

Poster: A snowHead
I assume that Alexandra's post is sarcasm Wink If not,then she/he is obviously confused and is on the wrong forum Skullie

Over the last few years I have spent a lot of time in France following my other passion,fishing.I am afraid to say that this also is cursed by the "Brits abroad".We now have a growing number of venues which are French only.This is simply a polite way of saying Anglaise Interdite.Why? Mostly not because of specific incidents but the locals perception of english behavoir Shocked Like it or not,"we" are tagged by many with the "football hooligan" image!! Our image is not helped by the attitude of some,as mentioned above.Why is it that so many english display this "better than thee" attitude when abroad?Will there come a time when the English Pound(or Euro Anglaise)is not enough to compensate our mountain hosts for the trouble "some" of us cause Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was taking the pee, hence the emoticon however there is an element of truth in it. This year I saw a ghastly Brit take out some serious anger and aggression on a bus driver in Louise for allegedly scratching his snowboard in the lockers. Never mind the fact that the bus drivers won't handle the equipment because of such a chance... but... perhaps he scratched his snowboard because he rammed it so hard onto the bus on TOP of MY skis that he pushed my skis so far back onto the bus that I had to crawl inside the locker to get my skis back... what about my skis??? That's the sort of person I meant. Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alexandra, I'm sorry for getting the wrong idea about your post.

People who complain about something, when its clearly their fault, get on my nerves as well. Mad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cant say the behaviour of others has ever been an issue on a skiing holiday. For some reason we always have such a good time (at no one else's expense) that we are too busy having fun to get annoyed about anything. Last yr at the top of Vizelle in Courchevel, came accross 2 toffs decked out in deerstalkers, plus fours, tweed jackets, the full engish country toffwear. They were loud, brash, attention seeking, posh tossers, BUT..... eccentric characters who gave us something to talk about over dinner, and yet another skiing memory that I will not forget.

Snowheads is beginning to resemble our our local rag (the Darlington & Stockton Times); poeple whinging on, making mountains out of molehills.

Come on folks, take a chill pill, and gety a life!

PS Is this me having a whinge?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, I agree.
A bit more "Live and Let Live" needed maybe.
I see no real difference between a 'posh t0sser' being loud and brash, and someone with a regional accent complaining loudly across a bar, in English, that "they've only got foreign beer".
Its not just in the alps, its everywhere we go (eg the Med in summer.... I find it more embarassing to be associated with the Magaluf type of Brit to be honest!).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
making mountains out of molehills
I suggest this may simply be because we miss the mountains so much at this time of year that we'll do anything to recreate them!
Quote:
PS Is this me having a whinge?
Yes...QED Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think we all need snow.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat, Pity its not been below freezing this month, coz we'd all be skiing out of our bedroom windows
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
flying_squirrel, it's fortunate though that most nations accross Europe share a similar sense of irony... faced with Brit misbehaviour in a shop or bar for example, a shrug and the words "les Anglais!" often produces a smile and improve's the level of service u receive...
well, that's the bloody French for ya rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
... shame that many people seem to less tolerant on this thread! Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think the real point is regardless of Nationality, background or Socio-economic grouping a prat is a prat and you will find them everywhere.

And comon... how many of you can say truly, hand on heart, that when on holiday at least once you haven't maybe had one too many and maybe been a little bit louder than you realised... your on holiday... it happens. Not an excuse and I know we're talking about something a bit different here... but am sure the majority of us have maybe been a little guilty of excessive enjoyment on the après? After all... your on holiday

Think the trick is if your a little bit boisterous.. then at least do it somewhere appropriate... e.g. not in a nice quiet family restaurant... but in a pub where they cater or encourage that sort of thing.

Guess though we kinda have to accept that not everyone will be as considerate as us Snowheads?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oisin Osh Kelly wrote:
I think the real point is regardless of Nationality, background or Socio-economic grouping a prat is a prat and you will find them everywhere.

Well said Oisin.

I've never noticed any rowdy brits in the Alps or in Canada. Does that make _me_ rowdy?? I think I shall go and sit in a quiet corner and ponder on that one.... Little Angel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One person's "rowdy" is another's "having fun". And one person's "decent behaviour" is another's "miserable git" rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maggi, I wonder... I think that like a lot of things in life people are well aware when their behavior has reached a point where it's not acceptable for people around them. The only standard then applied is if it's likely they'll be stopped or sanctioned in some way, so their boundary for "having fun" is whether they can stopped rather than impact on others.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I think that like a lot of things in life people are well aware when their behavior has reached a point where it's not acceptable for people around them

Well, I couldn't disagree more! What about all those people in camper vans rolling eyes
ski holidays
Oisin Osh Kelly wrote:
And comon... how many of you can say truly, hand on heart, that when on holiday at least once you haven't maybe had one too many.

Me!!
snow report
maggi, maybe, I don't know which I find more depressing, if people are too stupid to realize they're having a negative effect on those around them, or if they know and don't care.

Interestingly the local "societe jeunesse" held a bash in our village at the weekend, it's sort of a youth organization and slightly hard to translate meaningfully, it's a pretty loud affair, lots of drinking, noise, broken glass, music till the early hours etc. But, it also has boundaries, they're there the next day clearing up and they hold a reception for the local residents to thank them for their perseverance. This is a admirable attitude I think.
snow report
maggi, One person's "rowdy" is another's "having fun". And one person's "decent behaviour" is another's "miserable git"
I once sat on the last train out of London to Luton on Xmas eve, and while well oiled was sober enough to take in the situation. The train was packed, half with revellers and half with people who looked as if they'd worked late. The atmosphere was a riot, thanks in no small part to the singing from our group, and the best rendirion (spelling) of Delilah I've ever heard from a friend of mine. Bottles were being passed around the carriage, all the revellers joined in the singing, and numerous invitations to carry on the party elsewhere.
However those that were of the 'working late' variety had faces like thunder and absolutely hated the situation.
The moral of this story....there isn't one. Just it's very lucky if you can please everyone in a situation that involves one group enjoying themselves more than another.
snow report
Elizabeth B wrote:
Oisin Osh Kelly wrote:
And comon... how many of you can say truly, hand on heart, that when on holiday at least once you haven't maybe had one too many.

Me!!

Okay then Elizabeth.. thats 1 out of 747 so far snowHead
ski holidays
Me!
...I normally have 4 or 5 too many.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, If x + (4 or 5) = too many.

What's the value of x ???
latest report
I can never have enough NehNeh
snow report
Elizabeth B wrote:
Oisin Osh Kelly wrote:

Me!!

Elizabeth, you are virtuous Little Angel
snow report
flying_squirrel wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, do you not find the Americans the worst of the bunch when it comes to unnecessary volume?

I often do. Recently standing atop an Italian cliff taking in the breathtaking view across the Med, our peace was disturbed by a gaggle of New Yoikers running up the edge (if only they hadn't stopped) and screaming back to the others "Oh wow, man you've got to look at this, this is awesome...blah blah blah." Our enjoyment ruined for about the 4th time in 2 days, we moved swiftly on.

Quiet Americans I like. It is a shame that there are just so few of them.
snow report
Sorry, my comments were about Americans in American resorts.
snow report
Cymru am Byth, id have thought the moral of the story was "everything is much more fun when you're drunk"
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, When you're a shy retiring type like me, a bit of alcohol is required to lessen inhibitions and join in the fun. Unfortunately the right balance needs to be struck so as not to become loud and overly boisterous. (Isn't that where this thread started). In my case I tend to become comatose before becoming overly boisterous. So as long as some kind soul is prepared to point me toward my bed, no damage is done.
Takes me back to another story where an overly 'tired' Jenkins was too 'tired' to stay at the room party and sent back to his room, but then too 'tired' to remember where hotel room was, and was taken in by a group of young ladies, put to bed, and told not to get up for skiing in the morning. The worst part of it is that I still cannot remember who the young ladies were, or even if they were part of our group. (Just read that earlier sentence, I hope deep breaths were taken before reading it.)
ski holidays
If you were a young lady staying in the Viking? hotel above Morzine, about ten years ago, possibly skiing with a group run by Rob Tambini, and took in a drunken Welshman, then thanks belatedly.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't see why I should be quiet and sober when I'm on holiday, as long as I'm not doing any harm to anyone else, I think that it is quite ok to enjoy myself and enjoy lively conversations with my friends. Sometimes I may drink too much, occasionally I will fall over, but generally I will be friendly, if not always diplomatic. I'm on holiday, and I'm going to enjoy myself with my friends as I see fit. I'm not breaking any laws, just letting off steam. If you don't like how I'm behaving then I suggest that you move somewhere else, which is exactly what I would do if the situation were reversed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy