Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Brits on tour"

Poster: A snowHead
A recent survey found that the thing British people dislike most when on holiday is....running into other Brits.

Obviously, there's a massive element of snobbery in this - everyone wants to go somewhere that no-one else has heard of and boast about their marvellous new find. However, it must be said that the British on holiday are not always the sort of people you want to be around.

What aspect of the British on skis/in resort really sets your teeth on edge or what's the most unusual incident of ill-behaviour that you've come across (being sick in the gondola won't cut the mustard)?

To start the ball rolling, I live near to La Foux, a resort that none of the major operators go to so the only Brits there are independent travellers who you'd expect to behave a bit better than the 18/30 crowd. In La Foux there was, until a month ago, a massive, derelict monstrosity of an apartment block. This had been unused for about a decade and was thoroughly vandalised with most of the windows being put through. However, a few of these remained intact and in these someone had painted (or gone to the trouble to sellotape up loads of pieces of paper) letters that spelled out "C E L T I C", "E N G L A N D" (I think) and possibly "S C O T L A N D". Anyway, there were 3 or 4 of these and they were the only mark that had been left on the building.

I know that La Foux is a fairly quiet resort but would you have gone to the trouble to clamber 300m up an disused icy road, break into a derelict building and grafitti it? In their defence, at least they realised they had to paint the letters backwards so they'd be the right way round when seen from outside.

bw
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"A recent survey..." may say that, but the actions of the British, and the holiday businesses built to cater for them, suggest the exact opposite.

I think the worst behaviour of Brits is in acquiring land and second homes in Alpine communities for personal use. Only the Swiss have been sensible enough to stop it, and I'm not sure that they've done this comprehensively.

When we visit overseas communities we should consider ourselves guests, not invaders!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I may have said this on the old Ski Club forum but when I used to go to Val D'Isere regularly I often bumped into English (and it's always the English) people who made sure they were heard on the slopes. For example, one glorious day in the mid 90's I was riding the bubble up towards the Pissalais glacier only to be sat opposite a moneyed gentleman literally screaming into his mobile 'phone regarding the state of the Bond market. I appreciate (actually, I don't) that this was vital (life or death, apparently) but for crying out loud, why couldn't he just switch the bloody thing off and apreciate where he's at?

Then you've got places like Meribel and the dreadful Rocky's bar (I think it's called something else now) which is simply a caricature of the English middle class abroad-indiscreet, arrogant and so cock-sure. Pity most of them can't ski!

I think it's a hangover of old Imperial attitudes as these places tend to attract expense account smooth public school types who have been acculturated to believe, unconsciously, in their own superiority. This results in a lack of humility, discretion and, very often, obtuse behaviour abroad. It's just that they do it with a bit more style than soccer yobs.

Meribel is almost like the French version of Gibraltar, isn't it? How nice!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wish tour operators would stop doing "cheap" holidays because it's making them too accessible for hoi polloi. Embarassed

Since I first visited Lake Louise in 2002 I have seen a steady and obvious decline in the "type" or Brit who holidays there. Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ben wright, You wouldnt have got Celtic and England taped up together- It just wouldnt happen.

I tend to avoid the Alpes as a whole because the people there ruin it. Snobby pretentious Brits who think that as they ski once a year, they automatically become Upper Middle Class, and adopt a "better than you" attitude which ruins the fun atmosphere. No wonder the sport is declining with that kind of attitude. Why cant you just live and let live? And remember Alexandra, the people who were there before you, probably look down their noses at you too.

RANT OVER

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 20-08-04 12:09; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On the whole, I have had had little problem being with Brits abroad - after all, I like skiing with SCGB groups. But sometimes I have had fun staying at small hotels where the native tongue is spoken (can only do that for German and French languages). Firstly, with my grim language skills it is a challenge and fun - fortunately, the hoteliers seem to enjoy it, too. Secondly, I feel I see just a bit more about how the host nation folk live - even if it's just having differnt things to eat for breakfast. And of coure, it is often wonderful to be in a bar not used by Brits - for one can then take in the local flavour - in ambience as well as beer.

As an extension of that, perhaps that is why some holiday makers don't want to run into other Brits - not so much snobbery, rather wanting to savour the joy of being with the locals.
latest report
 brian
brian
I had a bit of a mare of a dining experience last year when about 12 blokes Anglais were seated next to us in a restaurant and proceeded to spend the next hour discussing who was their favourite egg-chaser, Johnny Wilkinson or Martin Johnson. rolling eyes In very loud home counties accents rolling eyes

I don't generally have a big problem with it though, if you avoid any bar with more than 2 England egg chasing tops you'll probably be ok.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Categorising rugby fans as being dim arrogant toffs is probably as bad a stereotype as public school people categorising anyone who was educated in local schools as being oiks.

Seems that the general gist of much of these comments is "I like going places where there are no X,Y,Zs cos they're not like me and I prefer my own type of person" Its basic PLUism isn't it? Which makes us all a little bit snobby...

One man's meat is another mans poisson and all that Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hard to believe, but I'm almost certain that "Celtic" and "England" did co-exist in perfect harmony. I didn't get close enough to see if they were drawn in the same hand, now that would have been something.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ben wright, I only say that as I live within 2mins of Parkhead in East end Glasgow and theres no way on earth you'd get them writing anything like that! . It tends to be Rangers fans who support England.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think this view is not confined to Brits, I read recently that Germans dislike meeting other Germans on holiday.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Nadenoodlee,

Do you have shiny Austrian blinds ? Can you spell Tiochfaid ar la ?

Just checking if you're blending in Laughing

I used to stay just off Alexandra Parade in Dennistoun. Strangely, there always seemed to be more Huns despite the proximity to Parkhead.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
flying_squirrel, to be honest, it's the game as much as the supporters I can't stand. Scottish rugby types are just as bad and there's loads of them from my demographic. And that world cup win has only made it worse, with otherwise sane English people now pretending they like (or even understand) it.

English cricket toffs are fine, they have a bit of humility. Wonder if that'll last now they've rediscovered how to play the game ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah, cricket is the game for the discerning sports fan.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian, Thats where I stay! Im in the new flats behind the Infirmary! ( Dennistoun is super posh now- we're sposed to call it East Merchant City)

Not that many Huns now- they shipped all the schemies out to Easterhouse, where incidently theyve built a huge new shoppig centre aptly named "the Fort"
snow report
brian wrote:
I had a bit of a mare of a dining experience last year when about 12 blokes Anglais were seated next to us in a restaurant and proceeded to spend the next hour discussing who was their favourite egg-chaser, Johnny Wilkinson or Martin Johnson. rolling eyes In very loud home counties accents rolling eyes

The volume thing is most annoying. There is nothing more annoying than not being able to hear your friend beside you and instead having to listen to an idiot bellowing away 10 feet from you instead. They are usually English but I think that is to be expected since the population of England outnumbers the other parts of the UK by about 10 to 1. Have heard groups of Scots trying to deafen each other as well though so it isn't always the English.

The thing is I can't think of any occasion where I've been unable to hear anybody because of a group of Dutch, French, Danish or whoever bellowing at each other. I just don't understand why but it seems to be a uniquely British thing.
snow conditions
I don't mind where people are from, as long as they keep the noise down!

No, I don't mean they need to shut up, it's just the main way you know they are english/scottish when on the slopes or in the restaurants/bars is by their shouting at each other, nothing is done at low volume, it's like they are attention seeking, and want everyone to know who they are.

Then again, how many French lager louts do you see? Or Austrians?

I guess this is another of the reasons that I enjoy skiing in the Western US - for the last couple of years, I've hardly met anyone else from the UK/Ireland out there, and it's great!
snow conditions
Drunken Swedes can be a problem, they seemed to be ominpresent in Chamonix a few years ago.
ski holidays
Actually, I quite like genuinely posh people as they've nothing to prove or demonstrate and tend to go about their business on the slopes without ceremony (mainly Switzerland). They also have time for other people and tend to be very well educated and rounded. It's those people who earn £250k pa (city types, hospital consultants in their 30's, lawyers, etc) and parade like idiots in Verbier, Meribel, Val D'Isere and St Anton as though they are Masters of the Universe that gets my goat! Yes, those sorts of skiers with the latest kit and carabiners for the red runs in case it gets tricky! So after a day's worth pratting about on the hill and shouting at each on the lifts so as to get noticed, they then proceed to apres ski where ridiculous 'rugger' behaviour is the norm, all washed down with vast amounts of alcohol and daft games.

Bloody hell, class war on the slopes-that'd be something, wouldn't it?
ski holidays
The Germans and Dutch can be pretty noisy as well.

I think there are a few generalisations being made here though regarding Brits being (seemingly) every snowhead's nemisis on the slopes!

Wear The Fox Hat, do you not find the Americans the worst of the bunch when it comes to unnecessary volume?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Nadenoodlee, at the old tobacco factory ?

We were further along just down from the "Swallow" chippy. Wasn't posh in those days I can tell you Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flying_squirrel, when they are in their native habitat, they aren't as boistrous, and MOST of the skiers are more laid back, apart from some mothers with their kids (and frequently their partners!)
snow conditions
brian, Next to it- the tobacco factory is now a posh office/ gym / restaurant thing called City Park!
latest report
David@traxvax wrote:
Drunken Swedes can be a problem.

I suggest you change your greengrocer, David.
snow conditions
David, You're right but we've got one as the England football manager, having had a turnip a few years ago. I think I'll stick to the local veggies and go with whatever is in season. BTW, apropros our recent discussion check out www.realskier.com.
snow conditions
I think that there is an element of independent traveller snobbery in this thread.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't mind meeting fellow Brits on holiday but if they start getting loudmouthed and abusive, I leave straight away. I've got no time for people like that, and that includes people of any other nationality.

I've met people from various different backgrounds and the majority I've met have been great, but unfortunately you'll always get that loud minority somewhere. Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well said RichardB.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I second that RichardB
ski holidays
Quote:

I wish tour operators would stop doing "cheap" holidays because it's making them too accessible for hoi polloi.

Alexandra, I know you don't mean any harm by that comment but please realise that for a lot of decent people "cheap" holidays is the only way to go.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 20-08-04 15:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Please keep the noise down you two. I'm trying to think.
latest report
RichardB, I'm sure Alexandra was being sarcastic, wasn't she rolling eyes

If not, she's one of the type I don't want to meet! (And she certainly wouldn't want to meet me!)
latest report
flying_squirrel, cricket fans - last week at old trafford there were women stripping in the stands, people fighting amongst themselves - a very entertaining day was had by all!!!

I don't mind chatting and meeting anyone, what i do object to is loud obnoxious, arrogant people, and brits who don't indulge in the local food, drink or language - at least learn to say "hello". My worst experience was Chamonix earlier this year -full of Chav............ Embarassed opps i am a snob Wink May be it's because i'm english that i noticed it so much?????
snow conditions
Dan, my !"$§"ing neighbours at our place in Morillon then, come over sometime and slap them Very Happy
latest report
ise, just hold me back Wink

I just can't believe people are so ignorant of everyone else around them, really does get on my goat. That's why i'll never go back to Chamonix, possibly Argentiere though.........
snow conditions
Dan, my friend goes to Durham Uni and she says that the "stuck up Ya's" who spoke nicely have now become wanabee east end gangster crack dealers, or thats what they sound like. Apparently Chav is the new cool !?!?!
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, Laughing Laughing Laughing Durham Uni does have a reputation of being quite full of toffs, can't imagine them "chaving it up"? At a recent hockey festival one of our teams did chav as a theme for their tour kit.................hilarious!!!!

Did you hear the guys who did chavscum.co.uk were on the radio the other day - i didn't hear it but my gf did. They had to have their voices disguised etc as they have recieved so many threats to their lives.
ski holidays
For loud the Italians take the biscuit, the Dutch get rowdy but almost never violent or abusive the Danish ditto.

We don't have much of a problem here, but occasionally some of the English schools are pretty horrid. I've been know to verbally abuse them for embarrassing the rest of us, but then I do the same to offensive French school children when I spot them in Bath. Actually this is lots of fun - in either country they seem to think no-one will understand what they're saying, and are dreadfully shocked when told off in their own language. Twisted Evil
snow report
Coming back to the original vein of this discussion, I would say that if you want to avoid the British on holiday then it's just a question of picking the right resort! Since I live in Munich I spend most of my (skiing) free time in Austria. From experience I would say the resorts to absolutely steer clear of are Saalbach/Hinterglem and Ischgl. Firstly because they are full of British, Dutch and Swedish pissheads, and secondly because they are not very interesting places to ski! If you want quiet plus almost zero Brits then try one of the many smaller resorts in Vorarlberg in the Montafon, or you could even risk going for a few days in Kleinwalsertal (My wife comes from there so I'm obliged to plug it!. Very nice and good for all levels, including outstanding powder skiing. Whenever Lech gets it, so does the Walsertal).
If you really don't want to see any Brits at all then you could even consider doing some of the German resorts! Garmisch is fun, when it has snow, and for the powder addicts among you, the Dammkar in Mittenwald is second to none...
ski holidays
Hi Mike, and wlecome to snowHeads snowHead

Alexandra wrote:
I wish tour operators would stop doing "cheap" holidays because it's making them too accessible for hoi polloi. Embarassed

Since I first visited Lake Louise in 2002 I have seen a steady and obvious decline in the "type" or Brit who holidays there. Sad

There were many things I was going to reply to your post Alexandra but I really can't be bothered as what you have said is just too ridiculous for words Skullie Skullie
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy