Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Home made rails/ramps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I am thinking about making a homemade rail and ramp for my garden, I have researced what it will cost for the bare ramp, but to make it ski and snowboard friendly I'm going to need some dry ski slope material. I have heard of two materials so far that I could use, Dendix and Snowflex. But I'm sure I've also read something about a new material that John Nike are going to be using.

I emailed Dendix international and the price they gave me was £100 per 2m squared mat + VAT so it's likely to work out at £120ish per 2m sq mat. Unfortunately that is way out of my league and although I'd love to have it I'm not willing to fork out that much.

So basically are there any other materials out there, are they going to be cheaper than £120 a mat? What about second hand stuff? If all the John Nike centres are converting to this new stuff what will they be doing with the old stuff, do you reckon I could get hold of some at a good price from them?

Any ideas?
Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ross, Welcome to snowHeads! You might be able to get some cheap in a pub in Birmingham! Wink Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ross, Welcome to snowHeads.

You may want to check out this thread: CLICK HERE...............bit of a conincidence??? Wink Little Angel
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wink I live right next to Birmingham aswell!!!

That is one hell of a coincidence!

But I am deadly serious about the ramp/rail thing, so if anyone does know how to get hold of some of one of the materials (not the stolen stuff!!!!), please let me know. Would really appreciate it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ross, if you have a local artificial ski slope, you might try contacting them to see if they have any old stuff.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yea old matting from slopes is an easy way to get matting as they usually have it lying around and need to find a way to get rid of it they don't mind you having it.

The real snow (ish) alternative is to go to the market and ask the fish monger if you can have his old ice. It sounds funny (and can smell a bit fishy) but i know of a few slopes that looked into using the same process as they use to make the ice to package fish to make snow for a slope. Granted it cost about 4grand for a couple of square meters and so never took off, but its an alternative if you get it used.

If you do get a rail set up let us see the pictures. Building a rail usually isn't a problem as long as you have access to a welding torch, or the British Gas are working near by.

JJ. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I tried asking a few ski slopes, but most said they can't sell used stuff, one said they would get back to me in a few months as they're replacing theyre main slope with snowflex and don't know what they're doing with the old stuff so there may be some left over.

But I was just wondering, if it doesnt work out, has anyone got any makeshift ideas for a snow surface? I thought maybe something like a thin layer of loft insulation covered in a thin layer of carpet on a ramp (I'm sure I have spare so it would cost nothing), how do you reckon that would feel in comparison to the dryslope stuff? I guess its worth a try. Anyone got any other makeshift ideas that aren't gonna cost a lot?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hi ross - how about nailing a hundred or more wooden scrubbing brushes to a large wooden board - the type you get down on your knees with - oh er missus....the stiffer/shorter the bristle the better....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ross, how about trying a few of the manufacturers of astro turf? The newer "sand dressed" or "water based" pitches we use to play hockey on look similar to permasnow/snowflex etc type of materials.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why not get a piece of old carpet (like a short pile twist or similar, I would think a long shag pile would be too long) and smother it in grease. It might work but would be a bit messy if you fell over, but that could be an incentive not to.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Did you ever come up with anything you could use?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ross is gone man. Thread is more than 10 years old. Maybe he had an accident on his garden feature?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Finest thread necromancy ever...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2 winters back we made a box / spine from four x 40-gallon barrels laid end-to-end in the snow, really easy to ride, and looked pretty sweet too.
I imagine that your pub in Birmingham could help you with that too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy