Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any bad experiences on T-Bars?

Poster: A snowHead
I'd have stood on the back of her skis!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, I was struck on the head and killed by a T-Bar last March. Luckily I got better. Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if you're close enough, pop her bindings.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or follow her onto a chairlift and pop them once in the air...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sking in my first season at Klosters , just on my way up to do my first long run,T-bar came to a halt, husband fell off backwards catching me around the face with the edge of his ski! One split face later and a long trall through the deep snow back onto the piste, then had to ski my first red run back down.Fortunately after sticking my head in the snow it quickly stopped bleeding, but my husband looked very green and the first years photos make scary viewing!! have disliked them ever since Confused
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ouch! But didn't the manservant have any wadding to patch your face up with?

Sorry, just whenever I see Klosters mentioned, I have this image in my head!!! Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Father -in Laws wifes family have a chalet there , so we only have to find flights, dirt cheep with easy jet and passes, arn't I lucky!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG wrote:
Off to Breckenridge on Weds and don't expect to see many if any of them.

Sorry to disappoint you, but many of the best runs in Breck can only be accessed by a t-bar. It's a pretty easy one as they go, though.

My problem is what to do with the thing when you get to the top of the slope. I've long since given up trying not to hit people with it and now I award myself points for the quality of the impact - 10 points for the head, 5 for the butt, etc. If people are dumb enough to hang around in the unloading area...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never had a bad experiance (that I can remember) on a T-bar - though I was involved in a minor pile-up once. My girlfriend was involved in a 20 person one at Laax (she says it was 20, I wasn't there). Her ski instructor reckons he'd never seen anything like it. One person had gash on her leg from a ski, and my girlfriend "hurt her wrist" as diagnosed by the first aid man. All were skiing the next day, but she's not been on a T-bat since, which was a bit limiting in Flims/Laax.

It seems to me that the majority of remaining T-bars in existence are in German speaking countries - mainly Switzerland and Austria (I've not skied in the French speaking part of Switzerland, yet).

Flims will be replacing one particularly nesty T-bar which, if a person fell off near the top, would probably take out about 50 people, if it was fully loaded - there's virtually no way you could get out of the way on that stretch. I didn't see any problems on the T's all week though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's a T-bar on the Val d'Isere glacier in France. It's OK, it's a gentle one.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One quite frightening incident I had on a T bar was when it had stopped for quite a long time on a steep icy section near to the top of the lift. The T bar in front of me was not occupied but the one in front of it had a boarder on it (no disrespect to boarders in general Smile ) who presumably thought he would get off and walk the few yards to the top. Whatever the reason, in his manoeverings he had seperated the safety leash between him and the board and the now free board started sliding downhill. I could see that it was going to just pass to the right of me, but I thought that if it continued past me gathering speed it could well kill someone Shocked , so I just had time to put the handle of my ski pole down in its path which stopped the board (leaving quite a chunk in the plastic handle which is still there to this day as areminder of the incident).
I would urge any boarders in a similar situation never to undo the leash between yourself and the board.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 24-02-04 22:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tips for T-bars :
- straighten legs frequently and tense thigh muscles - helps a lot with the ache.
- get partner to bail out first at top, twist through 90dgrees and throw/jettison bar well clear of you.

Both these help - worst mistake is to allow partner to take charge of bar ! Last time I did this my coat got caught in the T, and the sleepy lifty let it run for enough time to get dangerous before hitting the stop button.

Going up T's by yourself - hold the bar pulling it slightly across you, T up high under butt, and position yourself more to the side of the drag you shouldn't be eg if on RH of T, use LH side of drag - makes it easier to keep balance / going straight, as rope on T pulls bar parallel to butt
(T will pivot on rope/bar join, which moves away from you, causing end of T where you sit to straighten up ie perpendicular to direction of travel - how you want it).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Note for boarders, I saw in Switzerland this year that boarders must have a leash on their board and use it at all times on the slope and the lifts, not doing so is classed as a criminal offence - Mind you I've never seen this enforced but were your board to hit someone as a result of not using a leash I suspect that the Swiss would not take kindly to you !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I find T-bars easier on my own, getting off them is always a lot harder with two. The person on the opposite side to the direction of exit, needs to be the one who takes charge of the bar - otherwise they'll get knocked over by the other one's arm.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had really bad experiences last year during the "storm of the century" in Colorado. Skiing Breckenridge, we yo-yoed on the T-bar for hours the entire two days of the storm. By the end, we were utterly exhausted from ripping 18-36" of fresh Rocky Mountain powder from top to bottom all day for two days. It was awful!.

That the kind of experiences you mean? snowHead Laughing NehNeh
snow report
You know, ssh, that's a really bad way of making friends?! snowHead
ski holidays
C'mon! You don't feel sorry for poor ol' me? Wink Razz

Praying for snow for this weekend (Copper/Breck). snowHead
ski holidays
Does anyone try and use T-bars like a botton toe?
You need to know what the drop off is like to do it "safely but it's the best way to go up on yer own. I've been doing it this way since I was in Niderau (dodgy slepping Smile ) many many moons ago. In all that time I've only been caught out once (glenshee) and it nearly broke my nose.
snow report
When I'm alone, I do it that way sometimes. Especially if there are steep sections to the track.
snow conditions
ssh wrote:
When I'm alone, I do it that way sometimes. Especially if there are steep sections to the track.

When I'm alone, I'll lie on my arm until it goes to sleep... oh hang on, that's something else. Embarassed
latest report
Laughing snowHead Little Angel Blush
snow report
I have an unwritten rule when skiing with my in-laws...whoever falls off the T-bar buys lunch.
ski holidays
Back in my unmarried days, I made it a point of always taking the T-Bar single line at Mammoth Mountain. Since everybody paired up to keep the line down, I was able to meet more than one very nice girl on the T-bar. I became very skilled at knowing the precise moment when to join the line.

Now that my mis-spent youth is over, I find the things to be the invention of the devil.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy