Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mountain driving

Poster: A snowHead
This article in today's Guardian
http://travel.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,7445,1280597,00.html

.... sums up the perils of trips to the mountains - the metamorphosis of numerous drivers into crazed lunatics who overtake on blind bends. Locals are equally at fault. I've seen so many close calls.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Latest word is that the bus was run off the road by a lunatic overtaking....it's the scariest part of any package being on a bus hurtling up and down the mountain roads. I'm much happier in a car where we have a bit of control - not over the other mad men though!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The saddest thing is the psychology. A driver instinctively tries to avoid damage to the vehicle by diverting course when the logical thing is to keep a true line. However, let's hope the driver who caused this manslaughter (if that's what it proves to be) gets the legal treatment he/she deserves.

In this country dangerous driving is still dealt with leniently. In Denmark last week, as a cyclist, I noted the highest standards of driving I have ever seen. We were on all sorts of roads and saw no speeding, no rage, no dangerous overtaking. Just simple courtesy. A driver even stopped to allow me to cross the road when I was nowhere near an official crossing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah but David the question is, was the driving of the Danes influenced by stricter laws or was it just that they are better / more relaxed drivers ? Recently whilst doing 60mph on a 60 limit road I was overtaken by someone on a blind corner with double white lines down the middle of the road, that driver caused myself to break and an oncoming lorry to break in order to avoid what could have been a very serious accident, the only reason I could see for the idiot to overtake me was impatience
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its hard to imagine what goes through people's heads. Even if people aren't used to driving on windy roads - surely common sense prevails.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
During the season I avoid the main route up to our village, 23kms of hairpin bends and use the old road through the mountain hamlets. It's steeper and narrower but it's used almost exclusively by the locals, leaving the visitors to race up and down the main road. One English tour company had two vans written off in the space of a few weeks, but I think that's more about letting young and inexperienced drivers lose in an environment that they have not been trained to deal with or have experienced before.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, well whatever Viking blood the Danes once had, it certainly isn't evident in their driving behaviour in 2004. I hardly saw any police, no speed cameras either.

Maybe the nation has been sedated, but that wouldn't explain the very nice athletic girls I saw playing beach volleyball.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, maybe they get all their excitment watching the athletic girls on the beach and therefore do not need the rush of driving like lunatics ? Razz
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just got back from the alpes today and would confirm all of the previous speakers comments (except the beach volleyball - although my husband agrees, he has been enjoying watching along with the rest of the male customers in any Italian cafe that happens to have a t.v. on...appreciation of the tactical skill / athleticism apparently!). We had a few scarey near misses from oncoming vehicles on our side of the road.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lorraine Agass, I don't think the beach volley ball girls are that good to look at + the rallys tend to be very short..............the girls that come on at half time, now they are a totally different kettle of fish (sic) Wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We were up training/shooting in Diablerets in Switzerland over the summer. One day the weather was so bad a couple of us decided to head down whilst a the other 2 stayed up and sessioned a rail. We ended up getting a lift down the hill with another photographer (A Swiss guy) he drove like a rally driver down to the village in a Seara Cossworth wearing his ski boots. The most worrying thing is that despite driving like a typical local overtaking where ever he could, we didn't feel in danger. He gave us a lift down the mountain the next day to pick up Alex from the hospital, and no change in his driving despite now wearing shoes.

JJ. Twisted Evil
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FreeRide Monkey, it's the same almost the world over, the locals all drive like maniacs because they know the roads, it doesn't make it any safer though
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
D G Orf, I'm not suggesting it was safe in way or form! I'm just saying that worryingly in the car His driving didn't feel unsafe.

JJ Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf, it's certainly bad in Iran. The mountain roads are deadly because of bad driving, clapped out cars (based on the old Hillman Hunter - remember them folks ?) and bald tyres. The first snows of the winter see loads of cars and minibuses over the side and into ravines. Then the better-off dig out their studded tyres. I had a Nissan Patrol which was a bit safer but overtaking required the use of project planning software it took so long to build up speed. Weirdest winter driving phenonenon was in a long, unlined, road tunnel where half way through the windows suddenly all steamed up - on the outside.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David@traxvax, Agree, I use the old road here all the time. It's very narrow and with abig drop but always quicker. However lots of the locals do drive way too fast and there are just as many accidents on the old road as the new, posh, wide one. Confused
ski holidays
You should all come to Jersey then,speed limit 40mph and in the built up parishers its 20mph but we still get the speed idiots !!
snow report
Chris Brookes,

Considering there appear to be more cars than people these days, it's amazing that anyone has enough road to get up to 40mph.

I'm a bean in exile, and whenever I go back to visit family I usually find it quicker to walk than drive.
snow conditions
How true a statement Acacia... lol
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy