Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Instruction books and videos

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

For some time now I've been looking out for a book/video about ski instruction. I've seen a one or two in Waterstones but they don't seem to be very good. I'm looking for something that has general information but also goes beyond begginer instruction. Can anyone recommend any current books or videos that they've found useful and also what levels of skiing the book/video is useful for?

Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow Leopard, BASI produce the "Central Theme" on CD Rom, but for me I find watching instructional videos and some books aimed at people wishing to learn are at least as useful - i.e. watch how the instructors on these do it. For example, the Ski Club series goes from complete beginner to advanced powder/off piste/freeride and intro to back country touring in 4 videos. Mark Jones and Warren Smith have produced various videos/cd roms/dvds. These are just a few off the top of my head - you should be able to track them down on the web. The ski club site is a good place to start.... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A great book I read last summer was "The Skier's Edge" by Ron Le Master. It's a very good read, and I'd reccomend it to anyone
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep that's a good one, he has a web site here
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow Leopard, The Warren Smith series are good...although I did fall on my face on a green run trying out one of his exercises!....they also include a handy reminder card to take with you onto the slopes so you know what you're supposed to be practising...very useful.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think that Snow Leopard is looking for stuff on How to Instruct, rather than How to Ski - am I right or am I right? You don't say where you are, but have you considered signing up for Instructor Training at a dry slope?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah....sorry Snow Leopard, you're obviously well above falling on your face on a green run! You might like to take a look at the videos anyway as I found the style of instruction very good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No no homphomp, let me apologise, didn't mean to sound condescending. Anyway, you may be right...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow Leopard, I thought the BASI Central Theme one was a good jumping off point, especially if you're new to ski instruction, or thinking about starting. A dry slope as Alan Craggs, says is a good starting point as well. However, you should bear in mind that once you get some experience you'll bring your own personality and ideas to ski teaching as well, so there's no difinitive video. snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skiing and the Art of Carving by Ellen Post Foster, The Athletic skier by Warren Witherell,
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The All Mountain Skier by R. Mark Elling. Also LeMaster
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm very flattered but I'm not ready for instructing yet!! I'm looking for books/videos for myself to learn from. What I'm looking for in particular is something to "back-up" the practical lessons I've had with some theory so that I can try to *understand* what I'm trying to acheive with my skiing.

The level I'm looking for is something that explains the different types of turning techniques and a beginners guide to off-piste.

Thanks for the responses so far, I'll follow them all up.

Cheers.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
See homphomp, you were right after all ! Embarassed

Snow Leopard, the suggestions above are all good. You might also try Wayne Watson's Off piste book, and Ali Ross's early stuff (if you can find it anywhere). The latter tends to focus on knee angulation rather than the currently fashionable hip variety but is well worth watching if only to get some historical perspective on how some folk were advocating carving long before "carving skis" were a glint in the marketing men's eye.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alan Craggs, In which case I stand by my orignal recommendation...perhaps with the extra advice that when trying the exercise where you finish off the turn by "walking/skating" up the hill - don't stand on your own ski!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Harald Harb - Anyone can be an expert skier 1+2, Lito Tejada-Flores - Breakthrough on the new skis, Eric & Rob Deslauriers - Ski the whole mountain. They have websites. Be warned though, this style is very different to most skischools.
latest report
RobertC, HH advocates stuff that has been discounted by the best skiers and teachers in the world about 20 years ago. His marketing is great though! Snow Leopard, I seriously advise against HH and his buddies.Shocked
ski holidays
Unless you wish to be transported to the phantom zone Blue
latest report
I've done some research into all of the books/videos recommended, by looking at Amazon and the relevant web-sites. The books I thought looked the best were:

1st choice - All Mountain Skier by R. Mark Elling
2nd choice - Breakthrough on the new skis by Lito Tejada-Flores
3rd choice - "The Skier's Edge" by Ron Le Master

I'll probably get the 1st and 2nd choice. Once I've got them and had a chance to look at them I'll do a mini review.
ski holidays
For what it's worth Snow Leopard, I would go for your 3rd choice as 2nd, and take easiski's advice above. Still, chaque chien a son gout as they say Little Angel
snow conditions
Eric Deslauriers is one of the instructors at the EpicSki Academy this year. I met him at it last year - a good guy, and a great skier!

The Ron LeMaster book was reccomended to me by several US instructors/examiners, I found it excellent.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy