Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone tried 'nordic walking'?

Poster: A snowHead
It's a new way to hike mountains, apparently invented in Finland, using a pair of modified ski poles. The photo in this article from Saas Fee (where the sport is being promoted) tells all.

There are other new ways to hike the Alps, as explained in this piece from swissinfo.org.

Interestingly the article claims that there are more maintained paths and trails in Switzerland than the USA!

Anyone been walking in the Alps this summer?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good morning David. No, I haven't tried nordic walking and for the money they're asking to have a go, I think I'll modify a pair of bent up Scott poles and do it myself!

I am, by the way, quite an experienced alpine walker and have done the TMB (a beautiful trail) and plenty in Austria. You really do get a different perspective of the mountains which you otherwise wouldn't appreciate whilst moving at 40mph on skis! Also, the distinct lack of ironmongery in the mountains is a welcome relief.

Have you done some summer hiking?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, Kevin, I'm currently gravitating more towards northern Europe, but recall the delights of the Alps in summer - swimming in Austrian and Italian lakes, walking along beautiful paths near St Moritz and so on.

We named our younger daughter Heidi (how quaint is that, but luckily she likes it) so we ought to check out Heidiland sometime, if we can face it!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I started using walking poles in the hills after my knees started giving me gip on an Austrian autumn trip 2 years ago (it's the downhill stuff that wears them out it would seem). They're a great help both up and down I find. Don't see what's so novel about it though Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Gemma Bowes
Sunday August 8, 2004
The Observer

The new fitness craze of Nordic walking has given rise to a host of activity holidays dedicated to the sport.
A cross between high-altitude power walking and cross-country skiing, Nordic skiers stride up mountains using a side-to-side rhythm that burns 20 per cent more calories than normal walking.
But I don't believe all I read in the papers Wink None of the photos show nor other articles mention this 'side-to-side' technique. Exercise at altitude will burn extra calories. Carrying a couple of poles won't make a difference.
Here's a package holiday site which claims its 40% more effective than normal walking. Why ??? Do I smell hype ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Now let me see - burning calories=using energy. So unless this "side to side" technique (the mind boggles) somehow zips you up the mountain in at least 20% less time than "normal walking", it is clearly a much less efficient process. What the heck is 40% more "effective" when it comes to walking? 40% less wear of boot soles, 40% fewer strides per unit distance or 40% more bovine excrement avoided in the fields?
As my local outdoor shop plug plug has been selling walking poles for asses' years I don't see what's new here Twisted Evil
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I believe you can tuck the poles under your arms for extra-fast 'schuss walking' for the downhill stretch.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley and by holding them horizontally whilst climbing stairs you can neatly remove the eyeballs of those climbing behind you snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Now what I'd like to see is this crossed with skier-cross - u would get 4 people with these [special rolling eyes ] sticks and have them bomb down a steep hill trying to knock each other over as they go.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Joking apart, I'm inclined to believe the claims about nordic walking for the following reasons:

1 We became bipeds, from quadripeds, presumably not only because it enabled us to see our prey more easily but because it helped us walk and run more efficiently - with less energy.

2 Therefore, by reverting to a less efficient way of walking, involving arms as well as feet, we're bound to use more energy.

3 Use of poles is bound to take pressure off joints - particularly knee joints - because it assists balance and takes the weight off legs when going downhill (when, as Alan points out, the stress on the knees is greatest).

4 If it doesn't make sense then answer me this - why do we ski with poles?

I've not tried nordic walking, but I'm quite intrigued. I guess one can convert ski poles into 'nordic walking poles' simply by adding rubber bungs to the tips - I seem to recall doing this to use some road skis once, and to ride a skateboard with feet facing forwards like a monoski (a tricky ride).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith

1- Or because we could climb better trees and hold onto thicker vines with opposable thumbs.

3- They also let you change _stride_length_ and carry greater loads with less ankle support.

One of the key shifts from on-pavement running to trail running is to shift stride length and cadence to suit terrain, mostly to shorten it. Well, I wasn't as good as I thought at that, so, after injuring my Achilles tendon, I investigated the walking pole idea. Yes, I could use a longer stride on rougher terrain with them, but the learning curve was somewhat significant, and I couldn't get them to go very well on moderately-sloped terrain like fire roads where I would normally (esp. downhill) run at full speed without significant knee flexion.
The one considerable benefit, I found a few weeks later, was that you could carry a large rucksack without the need for heavy leather ankle-supporting boots. Now, if you can use running shoes instead of Scarpa Alps, that is an immense energy savings, a great inducement in my book.
Oh, I got rid of the rubber bungs and switched to sharp rollerski tips, in combination with shock-absorber grips.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alan Craggs. Laughing snowHead Laughing

Mostly I get cursed out by bikers who feel they're entitled to pass anytime, anywhere, at any speed.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I believe you can tuck the poles under your arms for extra-fast 'schuss walking' for the downhill stretch.

You look pretty silly when turning, though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's a place you can do nordic walking in the UK: Blakeney on the north Norfolk coast, under the guidance of Annie Briggs, "the UK’s first internationally recognised Nordic walking instructor."

The Times has the details, and a photo. Reporter Fiona Sims says:

Quote:
The poles swung and thrusted in the right way, as my upper body did what it was supposed to (I opted for the John Wayne swagger). As I “skied” across the north Norfolk countryside, each strangely therapeutic step gave me a new kind of energy.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thecramps wrote:
This is a rather curious bump.

maybe DavidFr owns the hotel?

Lapsed snowhead Ian Spare is a nordic walking instructor

http://nordicwalking.co.uk/?page=find&search=gl16+7lb&range=5000&opt=place&p=25

https://www.swissmountainleader.com/

erm apropos of nothing at all except I think the French have a Capacity Test if you want to be a Nordic Walking instructor. You have to run down a scree slope between slalom poles as fast as a chamois who has been kicked in the knackers by an ESF instructor.
latest report
Impressive thread resurrection!
snow conditions
there may have been some spam removed Wink
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:
Impressive thread resurrection!

yes but not one of David's 5 first posts, if you are interested.
ski holidays
I smelt the tinned pork produce. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy