Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wycombe Summit's plans to convert from plastic to snow

Poster: A snowHead
When Wycombe Summit, the major artificial ski slope to the west of London, was bought by the operators of Tamworth Snowdome last year there was speculation that the slope would be enclosed and converted to real snow. Similar ideas have been sketched out for Sheffield Ski Village. The plans for Wycombe are extensive, and could also involve the reinstatement of an original plan to build a fitness centre, but the ski centre lies within quite an attractive area of countryside so there may be planning objections.

More details on this story from Bucks Free Press
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DG - on a similar theme, but having been away recently, I don't know if the following story was reported here about major plans for a snow village near Ipswich, called SNOASIS !

Oops - I've deleted this link as I've just caught up on the thread further down ! Embarassed Embarassed

If this one ever goes ahead, it will be mega. Cool
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is quite an interesting development but my only reservation is that I believe snow skiing should be kept to the mountains. Does the experience of skiing the same 200m of indoor snow each week detract from the magic of skiing the 'real thing'? I have, admittedly, only skied on indoor snow once, way back in 1989 when the dry slope operator I worked for developed a prototype snow hill just outside Birmingham. It could only have been 20m long and it was an utterly strange and surreal experience to ski fresh snow in July! That said, I reckon one might become blase about the repetitive yo-yoing of going up and down the same stretch of snow. I'm probably wrong, and normally am.........
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kevin mcclean, from what i see most people seem to use it to learn freestyle in a more controlled environment.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wycombe Summit is such a pleasant environment that it would seem a pity to cover it with a building, even if this means a snow surface instead of plastic.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
And it gives those of us who can only afford one holiday a year the chance to hone our technique on something other than upturned brooms snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Witches may not agree with you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would have thought Wycombe Summit would be a little steep for a snow slope. Even the beginners bit is by no means flat. Would that mean that they'd have to infill at the bottom.
I have always recommended the slope to my clients who live nearby, but I'm not so sure now - lovely clubhouse. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Are these indoor slopes poor for the Environment? Surely they eat up a lot of energy?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
They're big freezers so they expel hot air, or the heat exchange can go into an adjacent swimming pool.

But yes, they have to be plugged in like any other freezer, so the electricity has to be generated.

On balance, there's an exchange of burned fossil fuels for hot air.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So, on balance they're not great for the environment?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't know the energy burn. Maybe our Milton Keynes regulars could take a look at the electricity meter.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The dials spin so fast on it, they have to keep it liquid cooled!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So is flying to the Alps good for the enviroment then? Or mountains covered in pylons, and people in bright clothing!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It would appear that most of humanity's efforts are environmentally damaging in one way or another. Anyone see that prog the other day which essentially suggested that the aboriginals were responsible for the desertification of Australia? And I thought they were "living in harmony with the earth" types...how wrong can you be?
ski holidays
Neat link there, Alan, since Adelaide's Mount Thebarton was the world's first snowdome!

Not many aboriginals in the photo.
latest report
Quote:

people in bright clothing!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing rolling eyes
snow report
The heat expelled from the cooling systems for the indoor slopes is used to heat the rest of the complex. So in a way you could say the slope is a giant heater for a shopping complex. (Now there’s a business plan I’d like to see)

The indoor slopes vary in their quality and need bashing a couple of times a day. It's bit like late season or summer skiing, nice for a bit then gets slushy - although the indoor slopes are a constant temp' & without sun effect so it's dry slush.

The freestyle training side. Yes they are used by a lot of guys to train but mainly just for rails. The slopes are generally too flat to build a landing hill for ramps so the best ramps are specially built and put up for comps only. I've been along to a few 'Freestyle Nights' and just seen knee shattering landing with none of the good jumpers using them.

JJ. Twisted Evil
snow report
"knee shattering landing"....if so, that's a throwback to the bad old 1970s, which many freestyle skiers wrecked their knees for life. Jumps that inflict this should not be built.

"dry slush". Good phrase!
snow report
I first heard about this at the National Finals of our race series earlier this year - I believe that there are also plans for an ice rink as well (I mentioned in an earlier post about redevelopment when people were talking about Wycombe):
http://snowheads.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1511&highlight=

It would be a great loss to us for the slope to be converted to a snowdome as there are very few slopes with the facilities that Wycombe currently offer that can accomodate us (and many other bigger organisations than us) for big events.

People may argue that you would have snow racing but it is completely unfeasible to run many of the UK events on a snow surface due to the time constraints and the deterioration of the course throughout the day.

I will be very interested to see what does eventually happen to Wycombe.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy