Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Ski Boots.

Poster: A snowHead
You could say that. Very much decent and very much recommended, by many of the forum regulars.

See http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=116621

It will be costlier, it will take longer, bur you will be getting the right boots for your feet, from a man who is an expert in both ski boots and in feet.

Well worth it.

https://www.solutions4feet.com/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds great, much appreciated!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go to Decathalon, you can use the boots and if you don't like them you have a year to take them back, yes, even after you have used them! Try getting that guarantee off a boot fitter.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That does sound like a good deal but a reputable boot fitter will have selected the correct boots for your feet in the first place and will happily do any fine tune that's required as the liners bed in.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nevis1003 wrote:
Go to Decathalon, you can use the boots and if you don't like them you have a year to take them back, yes, even after you have used them! Try getting that guarantee off a boot fitter.

can you ask decathlon for holidays refund as well? Proper fitting boots make your holidays much more enjoyable. I have no joy of taking boots that were cheaper and getting a refund on it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
wow, some more duff advice.

What's the point in buying something in the acceptance that it's very possibly the wrong thing just because you can take it back? Why not buy the right thing in the knowledge that you won't have to?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The 'usual suspects' now have a boot buyback scheme ( some say scam ) going on. Basically, buy a footbed, add a small insurance charge and if after all attempts of their staff to overcome discomfort, then you can ask them for the 'buyback offer' which is a high percentage of the boot price i believe.
I see quite a few customers take it up...Please nobody ask me for further details as i was completely not interested...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Tim Heeney, sorry but that post is so utterly vague and lacking in substance that if you can't provide any more details people are going to assume you just made it up.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boot fitters only fit boots they have in their shop to sell, lots of people have boots from boot fitters that don't fit, the point about Decathalon is that they take them back, boot fitters don't.
I don't understand this dangly bits about boot fitters why do you need somebody else to work out if your boots fit or not?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nevis1003 wrote:
Boot fitters only fit boots they have in their shop to sell, lots of people have boots from boot fitters that don't fit, the point about Decathalon is that they take them back, boot fitters don't.
I don't understand this dangly bits about boot fitters why do you need somebody else to work out if your boots fit or not?

Because on your own you simply don't know what a boot that fits feels like. You might be lucky, but it then is down to luck. I may, as an experiment, go into to Decathlon and try and fit myself. I know what size I should be etc. No idea about boot anatomy to fit my foot shape though. Then who is going to make the footbeds, or do you just go for cut to fit? Same re the heating of the inner and sometimes even shell.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nevis1003 wrote:
Boot fitters only fit boots they have in their shop to sell

Hence why it's important to go to a boot fitter who stocks lots of boots. This is where I bought mine, the photo shows about half the rack. And they do each style in lots of sizes...

Quote:
lots of people have boots from boot fitters that don't fit

Then they went to a bad boot fitter didn't they.

Lots of people have been ill after going to a restaurant. It doesn't mean that you can always get better food by cooking it yourself, using ingredients that the supermarket lets you take back if you change your mind.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Obviously they went to a bad boot fitter, well done Sherlock. It's a pity they don't have a sign telling you which are good and which are bad, hence it's a good idea to buy your boots from somebody who will take them back. In actual fact you often never know if boots fit you in the shop, the test is on the slopes. Hence boot fitters give no guarantees, and won't change your boots after you use them, unless you buy them in Decathalon.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@nevis1003, if nothing else, Decathlon doesn't have a particularly good or wide range, at least not the ones in Cluses (Mountain Store) or Annemasse...

Boot fitting is an active process, almost invariably involving some forms of adjustment. There is no substitute if you require a higher than average level of performance and have normal feet.

While logically, if naively, you might expect "Boot fitters only fit boots they have in their shop" - 1. a good, reputable fitter wil turn you away if they don't have boots that will be a good starting position and as anyone who has any experience knows, 2. shops will often be able to source other models/sizes from other shops in the area if required.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nevis1003 wrote:
Obviously they went to a bad boot fitter, well done Sherlock. It's a pity they don't have a sign telling you which are good and which are bad, hence it's a good idea to buy your boots from somebody who will take them back. In actual fact you often never know if boots fit you in the shop, the test is on the slopes. Hence boot fitters give no guarantees, and won't change your boots after you use them, unless you buy them in Decathalon.

So when they come on the forum, we send them to a good boot fitter, based on recommendations from other skiers with good fitted boots.

Not Decathlon, to get a pair of boots that won't be fitted very well but hey you can take them back when you discover this after a week skiing in the wrong boots (can't get your money back on that can you?)

So why not get on board with the forum and offer some good advice (like suggesting a quality bootfitter) rather than trying to justify a stupid idiotic idea.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The price of boots in decathlon is about £60 to £200. Even the branded stuff looks like Special mark up. There is no comparison with a properly fitted pair of boots from a proper pro. By all means buy there if you are confident at self fitting and don't want or need any sort of flex.
snow conditions
dp wrote:
nevis1003 wrote:

So when they come on the forum, we send them to a good boot fitter, based on recommendations from other skiers with good fitted boots.

Not Decathlon, to get a pair of boots that won't be fitted very well but hey you can take them back when you discover this after a week skiing in the wrong boots (can't get your money back on that can you?)

So why not get on board with the forum and offer some good advice (like suggesting a quality bootfitter) rather than trying to justify a stupid idiotic idea.

Are you the forum? Who is we? Plenty people get boots badly fitted by boot fitters and have to make repeat visits etc. It's the same with climbing boots, the test is on the hill. If boot fitters are so great why won't they change boots that turn out not to fit? You seem to have trouble addressing that point, as do the boot fitters....
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
The price of boots in decathlon is about £60 to £200. Even the branded stuff looks like Special mark up. There is no comparison with a properly fitted pair of boots from a proper pro. By all means buy there if you are confident at self fitting and don't want or need any sort of flex.

More rubbish, Decathalon sell ski boots up to £400.
snow report
nevis1003 wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

More rubbish, Decathalon sell ski boots up to £400.

Currently topping out @ £170 but I think they had Atomic Hawxes last year which would have been £300+
latest report
If you know how boots should fit, and they fit without adjustment/moulding, then, erm, fill your boots and buy OTS
snow conditions
@nevis1003, if a good fitter has done his job well, there’s no need to return the boots.

Fitting is not always a single shot exercise.

@dobby, if you are lucky enough to have feet that fit a ski boot last without any fitting, absolutely go for it.

In my experience, most people don’t.

But most holiday skiers are in oversized boots anyway and wouldn’t know a well fitting boot if it dropped on their toes.
snow conditions
nevis1003 wrote:

Are you the forum? Who is we? Plenty people get boots badly fitted by boot fitters and have to make repeat visits etc. It's the same with climbing boots, the test is on the hill. If boot fitters are so great why won't they change boots that turn out not to fit? You seem to have trouble addressing that point, as do the boot fitters....

"Are you the forum?" eh? Of course he is...this is the forum.we are all the forum! "who is we?" Snowheads...it's pretty obvious.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 30-09-17 9:49; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
nevis1003 wrote:
If boot fitters are so great why won't they change boots that turn out not to fit? You seem to have trouble addressing that point, as do the boot fitters....

They will. What makes you think they wouldn't? Puzzled

It's just not something they generally have to do, as mostly all is required are some adjustments once the skier has had time to try the boots and bed them in a bit.

Of course, if you don't have the expert help of a boot fitter who can listen to the niggles and diagnose the issue, I guess your only option might be to return the boots. Many people have slightly odd shaped feet that require some tweaks to the boots. If you're one of those people you could get into an endless cycle of returning boots and trying different ones.
latest report
I had a look on the Decathlon site. They have some Wed'ze Wid 700 Men's ski boots for £109.99 which are designed for advanced skiers wanting warm boots. " Wid 700 boots are very polyvalent. Their fit volume is very generous and makes no concession on upkeep. The flex at 90 lets you vary the rhythm". I'd appreciate an English translation.
snow report
@muddewater, oversized, cheap boots, too soft for anyone but a rank beginner.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@muddewater, oversized, cheap boots, too soft for anyone but a rank beginner.

Obviously talking from experience
snow report
Can't see many 'advanced' skiers using a 90 flex boot, or anything with a 'generous fit volume'. Sound like soft and loose beginner boots with the 'advanced' label just markering to flatter buyers, or worse confuse them into thinking these boots will help them develop.
snow report
@nevis1003, indeed I am, skied for 45 years and counting ... snowHead
snow conditions
I doubt you'd be in business for long as a boot fitter if you didn't make sure your customers are happy. That's not really true for outlets like Decathlon, who will sell you what you select.

Whatever, vote with your feet.

It would seem to me that a logical approach would be to find a resort-based non-trendy shop with an obvious workshop, and with people in it who not only sell the gear but are able to work on the boots should that prove necessary once you've ridden them for a few days.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Tubaski, wasn’t that what I said? wink
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Tubaski, wasn’t that what I said? wink

Yes, I was agreeing with you! As well as taking the opportunity to have a pop at misleading marketing drivel. snowHead
ski holidays
He he ...

Decathlon is great for many things, but has its limitations.
latest report
Any reputable boot fitter south west ? London works as well, I thought going to Snow and Rocks chersey.
ski holidays
@Gustavobs, If you can't get up to Solutions4Feet in Bicester, Profeet in Putney are probably the best of the London options. Ski Bartlett in Hillingdon is also an option worth considering.
snow report
@Gustavobs, some of the Slush and Rubble folks are good, a friend’s son works on and off in London and is trained and experienced. But not all are...
snow conditions
after reading the comments on here it seems that anything that is mass market like decathlon, snow and rock, ellis brigham all get slagged off, not everyone can afford to get a proper boot fitting or got the time to travel to do it, some of us due to location or other reasons are limited to mail order or the local snow and rock, its obvious that a proper boot fitting is the best thing to do, and i hope the shops and bootfitters that are highly recommended on this forum give a generous discount to the snowheads that recommend them. its the same with a cycling forum i"m on, everyone knows its best to get your bike fixed at a local shop, but halfords who get slagged off all the time are some peoples only option, i wonder how much of it is just brand snobbery.
snow report
compostcorner wrote:
after reading the comments on here it seems that anything that is mass market like decathlon, snow and rock, ellis brigham all get slagged off, not everyone can afford to get a proper boot fitting or got the time to travel to do it, some of us due to location or other reasons are limited to mail order or the local snow and rock, its obvious that a proper boot fitting is the best thing to do, and i hope the shops and bootfitters that are highly recommended on this forum give a generous discount to the snowheads that recommend them. its the same with a cycling forum i"m on, everyone knows its best to get your bike fixed at a local shop, but halfords who get slagged off all the time are some peoples only option, i wonder how much of it is just brand snobbery.

I don't think that's fair or correct. @under a new name just said something nice about some of Snow & Rock's staff for starters. I know that Solutions for Feet don't offer a discount to snowheads, and I personally haven't had any discount from them (just great boots). I'ver not personally used Profeet, but they are widely recomended by many people on here, in fact I've even seen @CEM suggest them to people who can't get to him. My wife and I both bought our first boots from Bartletts, hers in particular were last season's and actually quite cheap (little more than the decathlon ones referenced above), and mine weren't very expensive. So a reputable shop doesn't necessarily mean a big spend.
Of course it's possible to get well fitted boots in the big chains, but it's very dependent on which branch and which individual member of staff you see, and what they happen to have in stock (which might not be much in a small store not near a slope)

Ski boots are about the only thing I would not order mail-order.
latest report
@compostcorner, following @Tubaski’s comments, if you are a 1-2 week a year skier, your boots will last around 20 years.

Amortising that, the marginal cost (if there actually is one) of well fitted boots vs discount house is trivial if not meaningless.

The advantages are enormous.

In the overall context of ski economics...etc.
ski holidays
compostcorner wrote:

Kinda depends how much effort you're prepared to go to. I live in Liverpool and I still get everything done by Solutions4Feet in Bicester (nr Oxford). It's about £60 return on the train and a day's travelling. But you only get 1 pair of feet and 1 pair of legs and bad footwear - including ski boots - can cause long term injuries. If you want to risk the possibility of long term damage to your one and only set of limbs, to save a days travelling and £60... well then crack on but I don't think that's sensible.

As UANN said - depending on your skiing frequency, every holiday skier should get 10 years out of a pair. So the cost of even the boots themselves is just fractional compared to what you spend on the skiing.

There's no brand snobbery for me. I know people who've had good experiences from chain stores, but on the whole, their staff take a day or twos training on the superfeet machine before being let loose on customers, and many if not most of their staff are of a retail persuasion generally. The difference with places like Profeet and S4F is that their staff are actual sports footwear professionals. That is their bread and butter trade and it's what they know most about. No visit I have ever had to S4F has just involved getting boots fitted. I get advice, ideas, look at new products, etc etc - from somebody who understands my problems. That's what you're paying for. The boots themselves cost about the same but there's a price tag for the knowledge and experience that comes with them.

Colin doesn't do a discount but I don't ask for one. I use his services because I think they are among the best in the UK, and I pay the price because I think it's worth it, and I recommend him to other people because I think he is the best. I don't need any financial incentive to tell other people to get the best for their feet. And frankly seeing his business grow is in my personal interests anyway... if he wasn't turning a profit, he'd be gone and I couldn't use his services!
snow conditions
I live in the Alps all winter, mostly in Morzine and the number of Brits, who come out with boots which give them sore feet, usually from alleged boot fitters, is staggering, I would say 30% would be a good estimate. None of the boot fitters change the boots if this happens. I am sure any boot fitters who do change badly fitted boots can post their guarantee on here to reassure you I am wrong. Or those recommending the boot fitters can post the guarantees. I have noticed that the advice on snow heads sometimes seems to be almost commercially driven and I wonder just how much is independant.
Some of the snobbish nonsense above about flex is laughable, reminds me of some boot fitters....
Personally, I don't wear ski boots much, I usually wear touring boots, as many who live/work in resorts do. If I do buy ski boots, it's Decathlon for me...the French kids ski race clubs generally all wear them...but what do they know, and none of them will have been near a boot fitter...
ski holidays
@nevis1003, I don't see any kids from French race clubs in Decathlon boots.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy