Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Ski Boots.

Poster: A snowHead
primoz, that is fitting in its most basic form, get that bit wrong and it is pointmess even considering any of the other stuff

over 85% of people pronate excessively therfore should have some support in their boots
most supports in ski boots will not stabilize the foot 100%
lumps and bumps need to be accomodated.... here in lies the problem if you just pick a wider boot to accomodate the bunion then it may well fit in that area but not anywhere else.... whatever level of boot it should fit the body of the foot and protrusions should be accomodated by modification

IMO 90% of the problems we see in boots are down to poor selection and where the selection is correct then it is either a boney protrusion which needs the shell to be adjusted or a liner issue.... if i could shoot the odd liner designer i would have an easier life... soft spongey generic padding in short lasted liners does not help any fitter however good or bad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A slightly random question for those more knowledgeable than me, please.

I just bought a pair of boots for the first time, after previously always renting. I also got a pair of customised footbeds (fairly bog standard stuff). Standing in the boots, I get a fair bit of pain round my arches. I don't have flat feet. Taking the footbed out of the boot, it does have a very pronounced arch (though that may be normal, for all I know).

Anyway, is this to be expected and will things settle down? Or do I need to get it sorted before heading off skiing? If I do, is there an easy solution?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
somers, how were the footbeds made? did they interface the base board of the boot to the footbed, certain boot models have a lot of shape in their base boards and this can interfere with the footbed and make the arch feel too high

they shouldn't cause pain, they may feel a little different at first as you will not have been used to having support but certainly not painful.... also consider how you are clipping the boot up, top clips first then flex a few times to draw the foot back into the heel of the boot then clip the foot clips, not too tight, just enough to hold the foot not crush it
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
primoz, I couldn't tolerate my ski boots before they were fitted and yes they were the right size and shape for my feet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman, I think the basic axiom lock here is

Punters don't need better fitting because they're not good enough
(to use the full features of their gear and justify its cost thereby)

vs.

Punters need better fitting because they're not good enough
(to compensate with athleticism for cr@p fit and still ski at a reasonable level)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for your reply, CEM.

Regarding the base boards, I suspect not, although they feel pretty flat.

Trying them on again today, there's definitely too much pressure on the arch, for whatever reason. It's helpful to have confirmation that there shouldn't be much discomfort (even initially), so I'll head back to the shop.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hoping to buy some boots for next year. When's a good time to buy? Anyone recommend anywhere in South Wales?? Thanks
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
George McConkey Boot Fit - Whistler, B.C. Canada

So I thought I saw a post on here regarding George McConkey boot fittings and just thought I would add some useful information! If anyone happens to be heading to Whistler and needs / is considering getting some boots done - than he is one of the renown bootfitters in Whistler and in my view best! (I've had my boots fitted by him - ultimately gave me the best two ski seasons ever!).

So he ususally begins the ski season around end of Oct/ beginnning of Nov and works right up to May (end of ski season) - booking in advance is highly recommended. I'm talking months!

He works Monday thru to Saturday. He's not in the store on Sunday his one and only day off.

Appointments are available at the following times
9am, 10.30am. 3pm and 4.30pm

Each appointment is approximately 1 and 1/2 hours long - all depending on the amount of work you need on your feet!

He will take a look at your foot and make suggestions on the boots that would work best for you. He may even be able to work on your own boots, depending on the make and whether they are suitable for you. The last past two seasons he has been stocking one brand boot - Fischer. He will tell you if your foot can take it or recommend an alternative brand, which you will have to go and purchase. He will let you know where. Then he re-aligns the whole boot to make it fit you!!

He will also recommend the intuition liner - which comes in 3 models depending of the type of skier you are. They are the best and will outlast your ski life - seriously ask George how long he has been wearing his liners! (he has ski well over 400 days - you do the maths!)

Plus there is customer care service afterwards as well.

Prices will vary depending on the work required but if you would like to make an further info than email the store McCoos at mccoo@telus.net or phone 604 935 2946

Hope this helps!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Could someone please help me and my fiancee. We have been offered some rossignol fun girl skis and Fun girl J4 boots and was wondering if they would be suitable for her to learn on. She is 5.2" and weighs 8 stone.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ricobilsland, as far as i know (i don't have a catalog to hand) they are a junior set up, i would avoid them if they are, even though she is light the boot will not be lasted to any type of foot shape and will not give the support required for an adult body, the only exception to this is some junior race boots which are just scaled down versions of the adult boots
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kapow wrote:
Hoping to buy some boots for next year. When's a good time to buy? Anyone recommend anywhere in South Wales?? Thanks

A good time to buy is now as most shops will have stock of everything as oppose to later in the season when they may try and sell you what they have left!!!

I know a guy at Mike Davies leisure in Swansea who is a friend of mine (Andrew), worth giving him a call and seeing what their range is like this winter.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jimmythefoot wrote:
kapow wrote:

A good time to buy is now as most shops will have stock of everything as oppose to later in the season when they may try and sell you what they have left!!!

I know a guy at Mike Davies leisure in Swansea who is a friend of mine (Andrew), worth giving him a call and seeing what their range is like this winter.

only 6 months after he asked the question.... but better late than never james
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="CEM"][quote="Jimmythefoot"]
kapow wrote:

only 6 months after he asked the question.... but better late than never james

Well you never know big man! J
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Axsman wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, So I shouldn't just pick the cool red ones with the go faster stripe then??? * Laughing Laughing

*female equivalent: "the pretty blue and white ones that match my skis"
(Takes cover.....)

ROFL !!!!!! thats the best way to get ski boots,,,
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I know some people have reccomended Ellis Brigham bootfitter Tom Wilson who was at Braehead. He has moved down to Castleford Xscape now and works there 1 day a week in case anyone was wondering (he is a fulltime driving instructor!) If anyone wants to see Tom give me a PM and I will look on the rota for you. Smile
ski holidays
Im looking at buying my first pair of new boots.

In the snow and rock brochure, looking at their ability guide, i would say im a 5-6 at the minute, but have only ever been in MK, and am going to a real mountain in Jan/Feb time. So need boots asap to get them worn in indoors first.

Im looking at Salomon boots, and the Impact CS 8's in particular. Whilst i should be good enough for these (if that makes sense), and they should be future proof for me for the forseeable, are they comfortable? Of course the boot fitter could just say they dont suit my foot shape and looks at something else entirely (head, nordica etc etc)!!!

I am just wondering what the difference in comfort and ability between the mission and impact ranges are (Mission 8 v Impact Cool?

Also im being told to budget for footbeds, are they essential or are they just something else for the shop to try and sell me?

Thanks in advance....
ski holidays
ItsSnowJoke,
Dont even think about deciding what you want before you go as it is completely down to your feet on what boot fits.
The Mission is a larger volume boot than theimpact, but again it depends on your foot.
Also, don't worry about ability charts too much. A beginner than weighs 20 stone needs a stiffer boot than an intermediate who weighs 10stone - An exaggeration, but hopefully it makes the point.
Footbeds are essential, although custom ones depend on who is making them and can be a waste of money if not made properly. Especially where you are talking about going, it can be pot luck!
Honestly, if you are in Luton, consider your options on where you go.
snow conditions
Thanks for the reply.

Im 13.5st (lean, well i was pre xmas) at 5ft 11".

Im in Luton, so where would you suggest 'locally'?

Basically looking at SnR (Hemel) or EB (MK), or SnR outlet store in St Albans, they have last seasons boots discounted.

I see SnR do "Conformable" beds for £50, how do they compare with the "SuperFeet" ones that are c£40?

Bearing in mind im yet to see a mountain!!!

Want some decent boots that are 'future proof' for my hopeful gain in ability outside of SnoZone MK. rolling eyes

But i keep being told the 'high performance' boots are not comfortable to wear all day/week long. But surely if they have been heat molded and have beds for my feet in them then they will be comfortable regardless of flex rating and other 'performance' factors???

Been using some (very) old hand me down Salomon's, which have a flex rating of 85 iirc. Only problem i get is bruised shins, but they are not molded for my feet at all!
snow report
ItsSnowJoke, the Superfeet are one size, you either fit them or you don't. Personally I find the conformable footbeds better for me, but then your feet could be perfect for Superfeet. For £10 I wouldn't worry about it much either way - a decent bootfitter will help you and sort what you need.

From Luton, you could go and see www.solutions4feet.co.uk which many on here will recommend. I'd also consider Ski Bartlett, a couple of friends went in there and got good boots that work for them inside budget. Having been to both S&R in Hemel and EB in MK, I wouldn't go to either in your position - you don't know what you're looking for, what is actually right and what isn't, and the service we've had on boots at both has been fine for us having read up on it in some detail, but any adjustment/fitting would be getting done somewhere else.

Your definition of high performance boot isn't clear, but just because a boot is high spec and designed for advanced skiiers, doesn't mean it has to be uncomfortable for all day/week. You don't see ski instructors in resorts taking their boots off every hour, performance does not have to equal discomfort. There are some caveats there, but nothing that is going to affect you and your boots.

All this said, if you've found some boots and the only problem you're having is bruised shins, get that dealt with and save yourself a few hundred. After a couple of trips you can invest the money knowing exactly what you're after.
snow conditions
ItsSnowJoke, The above is fair enough, the Conformable depends who makes them and they are made weighted so can actually do less than you think they are doing. At least SF, both trim to fit & custom, are designed with better principles, but it really depends on your feet etc etc. I know Sol 4 Feet and Outdoor traders use SF and Instaprint as they both deem Sidas(Conformable) the worst system on the 3 and those two guys are, in my view, two of the best in the UK.

Either Solutions for Feet in Bicester or Outdoor Traders in Abingdon are your best bet from Luton, but make sure you call first as I bet they are both busy!

It sounds like you have had a few people telling you some interesting things and the ^above post is spot on with respect to 'higher performance' boots in that they don't have to be uncomfortable. Only when you get to race level are the boots so tight that they are uncomfortable to wear all day (that's why racers unclip when they cross the line!)

Bruised shins are normally caused by i'll fitting boots, normally too big. Take them with you to your fitting as if they are OK for now the two above places will be very honest and tell you all your options. It sounds like they are too big and you get thrown around a little.

Let us know how you get on!
latest report
Conform'able and Sidas products rock.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I'm thinking of getting some Conform'able to add to my intuition liners fitted tomorrow before I fly out Friday. Is there anything I need to watch out for in the fitting/run the hell out of the shop if I see the bootfitter doing it?
snow report
to clarify Jimmythefoot's post it is not that i think that the conformable is a bad product, if it is well made and structured correctly for the foot it is being used for then it is as good as any other well made suitable insert

*the key is the well made bit
latest report
Too many options, arrrrgh Very Happy

I know its stupid to do it, but im sure most have looked at boots and thought "i like them", but i know the fitter may say forget it and i have a choice of x,y,z and thats fine, i accept that.

Maybe solutions4feet will be getting a call in the coming week........
latest report
I'm sat here wearing the boots that solutions4feet were kind enough to sell me - it's the first time I have had them on since the fitting and I'm skiing next week, so need to do some time in them before then. The service was brilliant and I'd recommend anyone goes to see CEM. That's despite (in a fantastically uncoordinated moment) managing to break one of my toes at the start of the boot fitting - which I only found out later when my foot warmed up. Even so, I still managed to come away with a very well fitting (if currently very tight!) pair of Atomic ski boots and zipfit liners. Can't wait to go try them out on the snow!!! snowHead
snow conditions
Earwig, I have learned that most boots come in 100 mm last--(width) . Largest I know of is 104mm--I have Atomics M90 in this. Others poss, too but for me these were chosen after an hour of trials by Mandy in Sanglard ,Chamonix, works with Jules there, big name in boots. Couldnt buy them from her becuse my bus was leaving across town but she gave me size and I purchased from Lockwoods , Leamington Spa who concurred with choice. Nice people.

Even so, I have needed about 5 mm of pushing out on right boot as pressure on side of this foot always causes me pain. Left foot is standard and will go a thousand miles without complaining.

So, seek out width. don't take too much extra length. Be prepared to have adjustments made.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Hey man, have you tried the insta-print system yet for custom? Pretty decent as an alternative option.
latest report
Hey....After a bit of advice if this thread is still alive??

I'm 23, and done a total of 12 weeks skiing, plus a little too much time at dry ski slopes and the chill factor. Very Happy I'm going to buy my first pair of skis and boots this weekend and before reading this thread thought it was just a case of matching my skiing ability with something that felt nice and comfortable. How wrong I seemed to be. Sad i would say I'm a very competent skier, confident on 95% of runs and bits of off piste. I'm wanting to explore more off piste and have a dabble at bits of freestyle skiing. Iv been using the rails and small sized jumps for a few weeks of skiing but want to take it up a level. I went into the usual EB and S&R and looked at the impact 10 and also a salmon which had a rubber toe insert to allow for room when landing jumps. Seemed a good idea and impressive design. In short am I to steer clear of these as gimmicks and just start a fresh using the methods described to ensure they are the best fit to my foot.

As daft as it sounds I anticipated about £350 on boots and £520 on skis (atomic blog) and am now worried I will get a cheaper boot that fits well, but may be below my ability level?? Will this matter?? Surely the inserts on a cheap boot will be more uncomfortable than on a more expensive boot?!

Any guidance much appreciated. I also have a quite wide foot, and a preference for buying from S&R as I can get 30% off Razz
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski_Friends, My advice would be to go and see Graham at Rivington Alpine for bootfitting. It can't be too far if you go to Chill Factor and he will find the best boots to fit you taking into account your skiing level. He's very meticulous, so expect to spend a few hours for the fitting.

http://www.rivingtonalpine.co.uk/
latest report
the one that fits is the right one, shell check, shell check, shell check, if there is space in the shell in the correct places then all things being equal the boot should fit fine, if it doesn't then it is probably down to something going on with your biomechanics.....this is the point where you need a really good boot fitter who can assess any issues and find solutions
ski holidays
Jimmythefoot, Happy with our friends in Voiron cheers. xx
snow report
Geepee.....iv been on their website, will bear in mind if i dont pick anything up tomorrow at S&R. its not far from me at all and would never have knew it existed! Cheers.
CEM.....thanks for the reply, thought u were going to say that after reading ur previous posts. Seems ur very well recomended so thanks for the quick reply. I will let u know how i get on tomorrow.

Gotta say this is a great site and thread!!
ski holidays
Hi . I'm thinking whether to buy Salomon impact 10 or black diamond method.
Im intermediate / advanced skier doing mostly slopes but occasionally off-piste. however i want to advance and do more off piste and am looking for a boot i wont have to upgrade next year...

i tried on the salomon impact 10 and it fits very nicely, however sonce i need size 30 the boots are super heavy (the pair i tried on is 6.3 kg - thats quite chunky)

anyone had experience with BD method?
im also very tall so i need good flex. will BD method do the trick? thx
ski holidays
Just got myself some Nordica Speedmachine110's. Beautiful little boot!! Had a few problems with fitting as my feet turned out to be different sizes, left is 27 and right is a 27.5!I tried on quite a few different (size 27) boots, but as my feet are also quite wide most were too tight on the instep, mainly salomons, or too cramped for my toes on my right foot . Couldn't get my feet in the ghosts, skps, impact 10's too tight, so it was some orange technicas or my nordicas. Strangely the impact 8's were a nice fit but I didn't want them knowing there is the 10's. NehNeh. Anyway, I decided to get a 27.5 in the nordicas as they allowed more room for my bigger foot and still felt comfortable and tight on my smaller left. Took 2.5 hrs in all fitting so hoping to give the' a thrashing somewhere now early march. Would be a waste not to try the' out! Ha wink
ski holidays
I originally posted this as a separate topic but have been advised that I should post it on this thread to get the expert advice of CEM, et al.
I'm looking to buy some new boots this year and thought theTecnica Phoenix airshell boot looked interesting, but the bootfitter I went to yesterday said that the air compresses as you ski and therefore your foot ends up moving around a little so you don't get the snug fit you want. He reckons that even though this boot is marketed with high flex versions, it just doesn't stack up as a performance boot. Does anyone out there know if there is any truth in this - that the airshell doesn't actually produce the snug secure fit that it's supposed to??
I'm an advanced intermediate - possibly even getting into the advanced category, keen on improving, average height/weight. I have wide feet and when I bought my previous boots, the guy sold me a pair that I've since found out were a whole size larger than my mondo size (23.0) - probably to make up for the foot width I guess. I was an early intermediate then and it wasn't too much of a problem until I started tackling more challenging terrain when my foot started to move around in the boot. Needless to say, I'm now looking for something that's really going to hold my foot in place - as it should!!
The bootfitter yesterday recommended the Tecnica Dragon 90 which felt OK but he had to go up to a 23.5 because of the width of my feet and when I tried on the shell without the liner (which I did when the fitter wasn't there as he hadn't done this - alarm bells!), I could fit two fingers between my heel and the shell with my toes touching the front of the shell. That made me nervous that this boot was going to end up being too big too. That's why I was thinking maybe something like the airshell would be good as I might be able to get in to a 23.0 but still get a snug fit - if the airshell works of course!
Any views on this would be appreciated - thanks.
snow report
Sorry i didnt reply in the other thread, bren a bit busy lately

Shape is everything! If it fits then fine, but I cannot see your feet

There is no difference between 23 and 23.5 .......depending on how big your fingers are depends on if that size is right, two of my fingers would give a pretty generous fit

Epic ski may be a better forum to get advice on a boot fitter close to you, but make that the first thing you do, find a good fitter and work with them on what is best for your feet

Not sure about your state but there are a load of great guys in Vermont
ski holidays
Thanks CEM, I reckon the best guys probably are in VT. We're in Killington in March so I may have better luck up there.
snow conditions
Hello,
Newbie boot question....

I have had my boots for I guess six years. I just by accident took my sons new ones (we are now equal size) here the other day and boy, they just felst so much better fit. A comfortable soft but steady/supported feeling whilst my own ones though they fit resonably well seems much harder on the foot.
So will the boots detoriate in six years so its normal to replace? I only buy the medium/inexpensive ones as I have not been able to tell the difference and my skiing is normally five to six three days trips pr season.
We normally pay like EUR 200 for boots which is in the lower price range here in Norway. Going to Kitzbuhel the 26th, but may buy new ones before we go to save precious time. If not anyone really think its a good bootfitter and a good buy for the money in Kitzbuhel.

BR
Jan
snow conditions
Diverjan, I see good(improving) work coming out of Surefoot in Oslo, yes they're expensive and Ideally you should be doing this in a resort, however might be worth a look.
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, that opening post on boot fitting , are you going to place it back Little Angel ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy