Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hello everyone, I'm new to this game.....

Poster: A snowHead
Alan Craggs wrote:
Sorry Terry Wells, I think you've mis-posted - shouldn't that be in the "Joke" thread? Razz

What? You have a better grip on reality down there in Mordor? Obviously you don't. Razz
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ha - well since this is a kevin thread a bit of old sixties radicalism won't go amiss. I thought the US economy was based on the cynical and ruthless exploitation of its vast underclass, plus the misuse of imperialistic power in the aquisition of cheap oil supplies, the god given right to pollute the planet without responsibility, domination of foreign trade to the detriment of third world peasants etc etc. But hey, who gives a toss if they can carry on as they do?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alan; one days the expropriators shall be expropraited (Bukharin).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The sixties were fun; but obviously replete with twaddle. Alan's obviously Purple Heart-inspired ravings might be rather more accurately applied to the EU, and the former Soviet Union, and the new Russia. Not to mention China. As for the pollution from Mount Doom...probably best to nuke it. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Distinct danger of getting into politics on the piste here so I'm going to moderate myself and leave it there ! Little Angel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alan Craggs, I wouldn't mind, but I got lost about 6 postings ago ! Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
But is Alan wrong, Terry? Because if he is, then are we really saying that US policy is not exploitative but altrusitic?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kuwait_ian, Er yup. The way things are going, I think perhaps admin should open up a Politics section Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As Kevin is new to the game we can make allowances Laughing But I must apologise for my own diversions.

However, if this thread continues with a political theme it will be moved to the Apres zone where it belongs (if not into the Phantom Zone Wink )
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Isn't this great fun-I love it! Anyhow, since we're talking about the US I am wondering how many of you have actually skied in the States and, if so, do you rate it? I have been to some of the 'biggies' there and have to say the skiing in Europe is preferable for a variety of reasons, chiefly because European resorts tend be less amorphorous and less homogenised (except the mega Tarentaise destinations) and the range of skiing is far more diverse. What do you think?

Sorry Alan for getting on my politics horse!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Now for anyone who wants to know about US Geo-politics then they've just released a song that explains everything about the real issues in the forthcoming election
www.jibjab.com
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kevin mcclean, I've skiied in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming. I like it because the snow conditions are better, the lift queues are non-existent, the people on the slopes are friendly, and with the current exchange rates, some things are very cheap.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I started it Kevin (well, technically I suppose Terry did but never mind). Only skied Whistler and Fernie over that side of the water myself. Fernie excellent but I hear they have plans to ruin it. A friend teaches at Beaver Creek, other friends who have been to visit rate it highly but I have a feeling this is quite a subjective area. A l'eau c'est l'heure.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alan Craggs wrote:
...Fernie excellent...

Warm and rather slushy a lot of the time I was there - in January - season before last. Even so, some very nice runs. Clever layout of trails gets maximum benefit from small no of lifts. Charming Place, friendly locals, resort staff .... and RCMPs!
ski holidays
Nick Zotov, didn't see any of the latter, unless you count the Ghostrider Laughing That weather sounds pretty atypical, but with warming really getting into its stride now (cf Greenland) who knows what will happen?
latest report
I've not been to Fernie but heard it's one of THE destinations in world skiing. I have, however, been to the States and have given Steamboat, Breckenridge and Vail a go. All very nice with good skiing but what they do lack is the drama of the Alps. On the piste side of things, one run is pretty much like another and it's only when you go on the Black (and double black) diamond trails that you begin to get some diversity. That said, standards of service are somewhat superior and piste grooming is immaculate but the ski areas are quite small, with few lifts and surprisingly short vertical, which I found a little unsatifactory. Breckenridge is blinkin' high and cold so if you go, make sure you ditch your Campri salopettes for something that's windproof!
snow conditions
Chris Downey wrote:
Quote:

the full-time services of a guide shared between no more than 8 people,

good travel from region airport,

chalet/hotel accommodation that compared very favourably with any chalet I've been to (how many chalets give you 3 choices of starter and main courses?).

All this adds to the costs so, as with anything else, you pays your money and takes your choice.

duncan, I rest my case. I stayed in the Toviere last december, paid £360 for the week got the same great food (3 starters/mains/puds or cheese) wine, small/tatty rooms/bar. I too benifitted from ski hosting, plus i could have chosen to ski with a Ski Club rep. Therefore i can't understand your theory.

So I will say again. The ski club's holidays are overpriced as you can get pretty much the same thing on an MW holiday. Also for most part of the week there were only 5 or 6 in the ski group in the morning and 2 every afternoon!

Did your MW hosts take you off piste? Did you ski with them everyday?
ski holidays
kevin mcclean, No! However I don't think there's very much difference now between the major alpine nations and our top guys. The exams are all very difficult and very expensive! Crying or Very sad

I don't like to slag the French (I live here after all so I must like them), but they are inclined to think they are the best. This is largely due to the very small numbers of French instructors/tourists ski-ing anywhere else. Twisted Evil
snow report
kevin mcclean, glad to see you are still livening things up-where you been since MO day on SCGB-been away for a couple of weeks on hols so obviously missed your arrival.
snow report
I once went to St Anton with a well known company, the chalet was good but the main reason for going was the guiding. On the first morning about 40 people turned up from all their chalets. Our guide announced we're splitting into 2 groups, fast and very fast. I'm sure people thought he was joking but he wasn't we were dropping people all day, so by the end of the day about half were left. Three days in we were down to a group of 4 who could all keep up, he pronounced himself satisfied, and we stayed like that for the rest of the week. We went everywhere, as far as he was concerned there was no difference between on and off-piste. I'm certain if his bosses had known they would have binned him immediately. It was, however, one of the best ski holidays I've ever had.
latest report
Great for yourself maybe, but what about the other 36 out of the 40 or 90% of the people who turned up on the first day ?
ski holidays
Exactly my point, I couldn't believe that eithr the resort manager or the chalet hosts let him get away with it.
latest report
I've seen it happen before, I once was in Wengen when a new SCGB rep arrived who had never been there before, instead of taking their free day to find out a bit about the area they went to see a friend in Murren, they had a note from the previous rep suggesting a trip for their first day but did not know the way to go ! I just had to laugh, I had decided to join them for the day and knowing the area better than the rep spent some of the day leading the group whilst the rep followed me Laughing Another time a different rep suggested we went and did a route in a blizzard which I said was a bad idea, it was, the only person other than the rep not to fall was myself, fortunately there were no injuries as there was about 0.5M of fresh powder under ski
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy