Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Playgrass"

brian
brian
My local dry slope, Hilllend nr Edinburgh, now has a nursery slope covered in "playgrass" rather than the old dendix hexagons of my youth.

Anyone tried skiing on this stuff ? Is it any more crash friendly ?

I'm thinking of taking the wee ones (3 & 5) .
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brian, is it the same material as the big air jump @ hillend? if it is, then it is certainly a lot more crash friendly. in fact, softer than snow in many respects! as for skiing on it, well they have 'snowflex' at sheffield and if it's similar (and it sounds a little) then it's ok, but quite hard to get edges to dig in.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
According to http://ski.midlothian.gov.uk the jump slope is snowflex. I've not skied on that either.

Playgrass is described here http://www.impactleisure.com/playgrass.html

At least it should avoid the dreaded Hillend thumb !
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It looks good from the Health & Safety perspective but has anyone any idea how it compares to Dendix for wearing bases and edges of skis ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome to snowHeads mesk1 snowHead . Can't say if it's better than Dendix as an excuse for ski replacement I'm afraid.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Alan, it was just a thought as there appears to be more surface area and therefore possibly more heat generated.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmm, I suspect that the answer is not simply friction/heat generation, although that must play an important role. For example, I ski several times a week on Dendix (and it's frequently Drizabone!) but my skis are not yet railed, although they do blunt quickly. One of our customers managed to trash a pair of skis in an hour (for about 3 weeks in a row!) by creating a deep ravine near one edge on each ski. Thank goodness we managed to cure him of that Shocked (he's now bought his own!) I haven't tried any of these "new" surfaces yet but would be interested to give them a go.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brian, more info on snowflex - it seems to be the ideal material for jumps etc as it doesn't need a piste basher to keep rebuiliding it. And it has some impact resistance built in.

I drew a blank when trying to find anything comparing the various different materials available now as regards their impact on the skis. Scope for some research, snowheads ?

Dendix is the original material, extremely hard wearing but famous for staving thumbs (or even more fingers if you don't use mitts). And has not been used for fun parks at Sheffield and Halifax (where a Dendix slope was replaced). Looks like it's on the way out for new installations at least.

And some info on Perma-Snow* which claims to generate less heat.
Quote:
Racers should not have problems with the skis getting over heated. The low friction of the loops (rather than sharp bristles) generates less heat and spreads what there is over a less concentrated area of material, allowing more efficient heat dissipation. It has been tested in hot weather.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy