Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Useful signs on ski roads and pistes

Poster: A snowHead
I'm not sure how big a collection we can build, but here's a starter.

In the interests of keeping death off the road and piste, has anyone got any others?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Now here's a constant danger all skiers & boarders should be aware of!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I haven't a photo, but I found very sexist signs in Soldeu. The blue runs were marked with a mother and child; the red runs marked with a fella.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Presumably the black runs were marked with a widow or reaper (hopefully both to avoid sexual stereotyping)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wish I could think of something witty - but I'm not as quick as you expert skiers. Perhaps as my technique improves in one department, it will in others!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
here's one

If you're not allowed to ski presumably you achieve the 40 kph in some sort of free fall Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OT - And one for the Iraqi Border Crossings

And one that would be useful on the steeper pistes and/or at US Checkpoints. Oh and that Captain Safety site has tons of funny stuff and more outrageous signs not all of which would last long on here.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

And one that would be useful on the steeper pistes and/or at US Checkpoints.

Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unfortunately I don't have a photo but the helpful little signs placed at about ankle height (i.e you don't see them if you're not looking down, and since the approach is through trees this is unlikely) in parts of Fernie have "Cliff" written on them. Never did hear him though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Useless ski road signs:

1) On the back roads of Maine (USA), it's fairly common to pass yellow caution signs saying, "Thickly Settled - 1 mile ahead". However, when you drive the mile, there are only two or three houses anywhere to be seen.

2) I've seen a fair number of moose driving to and from skiing in Maine, but not one was ever in the vicinity of a "Moose Crossing" yellow caution sign. OTOH, one definitely does not want to hit one of these creatures, so I guess erring on the side of caution is reasonable.

3) Signs warning, "Trucks Entering Roadway" are fairly common here in the eastern part of the USA. Under the lettering on one of these signs, some waif drew a picture of a big rig diving nose first into a crater-like hole in the middle of the road.

Tom / PM
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And from Flanders & Swann on the 'low flying aircraft' sign you get near airports.

"Not a lot you can do about it - - - - except take your hat off"

Anybody been in Courchevel when that little 'uphill' runway is in use. How scary or otherwise is that for skiers ?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I've seen a fair number of moose driving to and from skiing in Maine

Shocked

Quote:

but not one was ever in the vicinity of a "Moose Crossing" yellow caution sign

Because they were driving, instead?
Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Was this found at the top of the intermediate plateau perhaps?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As for black runs, one of the hazards you encounter on Australian ski roads is schussing kangaroos. (the ones that have given up hopping).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There's one halfway up a T-bar at Davos (no picture, unfortunately) that says that non-experts should get off there. It's probably the only drag lift in the world where you're encouraged to get off halfway up.

As I was with a stranger and didn't notice any English wording on the sign (which may well be there), I thought it said you shouldn't get off (the drag crossed a path so it was very inviting for people to do so). The bloke I was with hopped off onto the path (nearly making me fall as I had no idea he might do it), and leaving me to tut and roll my eyes, in the best English tradition. When I got to the top I had was up to then, my most difficult descent.

Made it though. snowHead
snow report
And does this warn of a mogul field, or horizontal female skiers?
snow conditions
Mark Hunter, Laughing Laughing
More likely a tired lady boarder lying down in the middle of the piste.
snow conditions
Mark Hunter, I think it's a warning of two Austrian puddings ahead - Germknodels.
snow report
It is comforting to see that there is skiing on The Other Side Mark Hunter, especially for those of us getting a bit long in the tooth. Wink
ski holidays
Sign me up to these
ski holidays
once remember seeing a sign in vail saying:

WRONG WAY

...and, strangely, it was right. not sure how it knew though...
snow conditions
tough crowd, was it facing down the piste Puzzled
latest report
skanky wrote:
Quote:

I've seen a fair number of moose driving to and from skiing in Maine
Shocked

Even more shocking, they never carry insurance, and you should see the vehicles that they drive. Wink

(That will teach me to post in the middle of the night when half asleep).

Embarassed

Tom / PM
snow report
Physicsman, Very Happy I'm also interested in how they ski?
snow conditions
1) In the lift lines, they don't have the courtesy thing quite down yet;

2) My patroller buddies tell me that they are h-ll to load in a sled; and,

3) You ought to see what they do to the salad bar at lunch time.

Mr. Green

Tom / PM
ski holidays
(grumble ... #$%#@ double posting...)

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 26-07-04 17:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Sorry, are we talking about Moose or Snowboarder?
snow report
skanky, the world knows moose don't ski. They ride around on ATVs and Skidoos instead. I do not advise you to have a problem with that.

It may just be possible that WTFH and PM are really on about snowboarder caribou. They've displayed similar gateway behaviour.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Physicsman, Very Happy

Wear The Fox Hat, Very Happy

comprex, Very Happy to the first one. The other pictures seem to have diappeared Puzzled
snow report
Moose

caribou
ski holidays
Very Happy
latest report
And a few others (apologies if someone already posted them - I didn't make it through all the links):
http://www.natives.co.uk/features/jokes/snowmobile.htm
http://www.natives.co.uk/news/0700/25trans.htm
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy