Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Peisey-Vallandry or Arc 1800, January 2005?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning on visiting Arc 1800 for a week in early January, but my sister has suggested Peisey- Vallandry instead, being more of a traditional village.

Any thoughts regarding skiing convenience, ski schools, ski hire etc..? The pictures of Plan Peisey and Vallandry I have seen look much like Arc 1800. The lower more traditional villages don't seem to have the same convenience (open-air gondola to the lifts?) so it's a toss up between traditional or modern/convenience.

Also, any recommendations for self-catering or chalet accomodations.

Diolch.......
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hywel, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead

It's a bit quiet on here at weekends. PG and Flying Squirrel are the experts on Les Arcs and the surroundings. Sure they will be able to help out soon.

Meantime, our snowBase database (just above the topic title) has links to both P-V and Les A official websites if you want to do more research while you wait. Cool
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well there's a lot of investment going into the Peisey part of the domain at the moment, with the Vanoise Express link to La Plagne. A fair bit into the lift infrastructure too.

But I'll wait for Flying Squirrel to respond, as FS is on the spot.... it's certainly more traditional (anything would be more traditional than Arc 1800 though!)

FS also runs an accommodation agency in Peisey....

If you're interested in staying in Bourg itself, I let a couple of apartments within easy reach of the funicular (8 mins to Arc 1600). Ideal for visiting surrounding resorts (Ste Foy, La Rosière, Tignes/Val, La Plagne....) see sig (hols) for link to website and accommodation details....

(Il n'y a pas de quoi!)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Personally I'd go for 1800 as there's more to do in the evenings and it's easier to get over into the 2000 bowl, but then again I have friends who come out in 1800 and then walk back to Peisey!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arc 1800, Peisey-Vallandry, you're going in the right direction, just keep going across the Vanois Express and you're in La Plagne territory.
If you want traditonal village and skiing convenience then Montchavin's your place. It's also got super restaurants.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you haven't already found it, this is the Peisey website.
http://www.peisey-vallandry.com/index_hiver.asp

As far as I know there's only the ESF in Peisey, more choice at 1800.

As Tigger says it perhaps not the best location for getting to 2000... and early Jan, depending on conditions, that's where you might want to be.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree re Montchavin. Went there at Easter very concerned that we would be away from the action proper of LP. This was perfect. More non-ski than ski village to me, if that makes sense but excellent links up the mountain and quick.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've always stayed in Belle Plagne but of the lower traditional Plagne villages Montchavin is probably the best in terms of appearance, location, lifts and more. As long as it has snow - which brings us back on thread. As PG has pointed out you might want to be higher than Peisey especially in early seaon. Flying Squirrel should be the man with local knowledge, when he pops in.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG, Ski New Generation had a small operation in Vallandry for the first time last season, they are expanding this season. They are a really good ski school with an excellent reputation in Courchevel & Meribel. They are also setting up in Val next season. Their website is http://www.skinewgen.com/

I definitely wouldn't have anything to do with ESF anywhere is Les Arcs. Though many of their instructors are good (and friends of mine), the ESF director in Les Arcs isn't what one would call forward thinking.

The other alternative is Arc Adventures http://www.arc-aventures.com/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tigger, a friend of mine, James Blanc, runs Arc Aventures, also VP of the Les Arcs race club. Arc Aventure is a pretty good outfit. I know a couple of the top ESF people here, Roland Frey for example - he's got his priorities right, but the ESF is a bit of a dinosaur, needs shaking up occasionally. I'd heard New Generation were coming, didn't realise they were already here (don't recall seeing them on the slopes). Bit of competition is good for Les Arcs.

(Watch out for the name Frey on the Europa/World Cup circuits over the next year or two, Thomas qualified for his first World Cup GS last season just after his 20th birthday....)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG,I had a private lesson with Claude from Arc Aventures this year. He was excellent, a mature instructor who spoke great English and puffed away on his Gitanes on the chair lifts! My sister also went off piste with him one day and had a wild time.
Also three of my little ones had a week's lessons (1 beginner and 2 silver) and again Arc Aventures was great with the children enjoying and improving immensly.
I will definitely return to them if we do end up in Arc 1800 in January.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hywel, P-V definately has more of a traditional feel to it than Arcs 1800, and most of the recent and new development is being done 'in the alpine traditional style'. I would argue that it has a more friendly villagey atmosphere as well (but I live there so could be biased!).

Apologies if I'm telling you stuff you already know - there are 4 villages in P-V; Plan Peisey & Vallandry are on the slopes, Plan Peisey being where the Vanoise Express is; Nancroix & Peisey are a bit further down the hill, but within v.easy reach of the slopes, Peisey has a lift up to Plan Peisey but you can't ski down.
Nightlife-wise, there's plenty to do in Plan Peisey & Vallandry (my bar (Flying Squirrel) and Bar Chiva in Plan Peisey, Mont Blanc and Jimmy's in Vallandry), but we do find ourseilves making trips up to 1800 every now and then for late,late nights.

RE: Proximity to Arcs2000, it depends on your point of view - whilst in New Year 2000 tends to have the best snow, it can be quite exposed and grim on a bad weather day. P-V has loads of tree skiing, which sometimes can be a better bet at that time of year. plus the proximity to Vanoise Express, but I'm sure you know that! Rarely do any queuing for lifts on the P-V side, especially outside February.

P-V also cheaper in general than other resorts in the area - have a look at my website and drop me an email if you want to know more about the accommodation.

Hope that helps.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flying_squirrel, Thanks for the info (and all other contributors). I'll look into the accomodation available. I've also looked at the NewGen website, which looks quite interesting. The general opinion seems to be that ESF aren't 1st choice (especially with kids being taught).
Anyway, I've got the flights to Geneva and the car sorted, so we'll definitely end up within a few km of BSM.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hywel, If you have a car, I'd definitely recommend BSM itself as a possibility. Our 98 sq. m. three (double) bed apart is 450 euros/week during Jan, less 10% for snowHeads.

Garage parking, quiet residential block, private ski room, a minute's drive to the funicular (free) car park, then a quick trip up to Arc 1600.

BSM is a fair bit cheaper than Les Arcs, and access to the slopes at Arc 1600 via the funicular is quicker than from some of the buildings at 1800!

PM me if interested.....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
...and BSM with a car gives you a better option for spending a day in La Ros, Tignes etc than if you're 20minutes up the hill.
snow conditions
Its P-V for me - 2 holidays booked there next year already. Villagey feel, in reality you can be in Arc 200 in only30 mins from Plan Peisey.

In January Arc 2000 can be B... cold, P-V has access to tree sheltered skiing and across to the La Plagne side for some soft piste skiing and safe of piste.

DIY entertainment down in the old villages but flying squirrel runs a hot bar in Plan Peisey I plan to check out next year.
latest report
When are you coming out Martin Nicholas?
(nice plug, by the way, thats worth a free beer at least!)
latest report
flying_squirrel, did you have a girl working in your bar last year who answered to "Voyeur"?

Also, I think your presence may be required on Natives... Wink
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, yep, Voyeur was a squirrellette last year.

I did see the post from 'alexhl' on Natives, and thought it unfair of me to comment - I got the feeling she was after other people's views! (I would rather she found out if it was not her cup of tea and we left it at that than pretend its what she's after and not enjoy herself... so I've sent her links to various websites that have info on Peisey-Vallandry etc)
snow report
flying_squirrel I will be out with 16+ lads on Jan22nd for a 5 day weekend, staying with Kathy and Mark in Chalet Himalaya at Le Villaret, and then with the family over Easter at their other chalet. Slight concerns about snow as late as March 27th as a hardened January skier, I prefer my snow squeaky to melted!
snow conditions
Martin - was there in April and the snow conditions were fantastic. Had a lucky snowfall early in the week - fab mid week conditions. Found that best time was between 11 and 2 when everyone else was lunching! Empty slopes, fantastic conditions - hope you get the same next year..
ski holidays
Hi
I visited Vallandry over christmas and new year and had a great time, between the two villages though it depends on what sort of holiday you want. Arc 1800 is busy, lots of concrete with no real French village appeal but it has the bars, shops restaurants – great access to the Les Arcs side of the mountain including the park etc. Vallandry is much smaller, nightlife is very, very limited almost non-existant. The only way to get to the other side (1600, 1800, 2000 and 1950) at that time of year is to walk through the woods which takes about an hour in the dark!
Basically, if you want access to the other villages and Bourg St Maurice and you want nightlife then go to one of the Les Arcs villages or if you want really superb access to the Paradiski link (La Plagne) and great skiable access to the Les Arcs area in the daytime then head for Vallandry but be prepared to do nothing in the evenings!
Check out my friend Lisa's website for self catering in Arc1950 www.arc1950lodge.co.uk there's lots of information on there about the area. Cheers Sian

Hywel wrote:
I'm planning on visiting Arc 1800 for a week in early January, but my sister has suggested Peisey- Vallandry instead, being more of a traditional village.

Any thoughts regarding skiing convenience, ski schools, ski hire etc..? The pictures of Plan Peisey and Vallandry I have seen look much like Arc 1800. The lower more traditional villages don't seem to have the same convenience (open-air gondola to the lifts?) so it's a toss up between traditional or modern/convenience.

Also, any recommendations for self-catering or chalet accomodations.

Diolch.......
snow report
sian, not sure I agree with you about the night-life in P-V being non existent! Wink
What bars did you (or not) try out?
latest report
Hi, the bar at the top of the village with karaoke etc was the liveliest but none of them were really rockin'. I found the resort really excellent for eating out in restaurants (La Refuge was great) and having a beer with good conversation. We weren't looking for full on party town so found it perfect. I you are looking for a resort where you can go clubbing or stay out drinking until late every night I think Vallandry is too limited.
latest report
Yeah - its definately not a clubber's resort.
Like you say, its good for friendly boozing and jolly p1ss-ups, but if you want thumping bass-lines, look elsewhere - all the bars in P-V have to close at 2am and there is no chance of any of us getting a late license!

You didn't come over to Plan Peisey and see me though, eh? (actually, my bar is very much "pub not club", and every time I pump the music too much I get complaints.... rolling eyes )

ps - the bar you mention is Bar Mont Blanc.
ski holidays
Yes, it is a great village, really excellent access for La Plagne - I am too lazy to go clubbing after boarding all day so no problem for me!! We may have visited your bar, my memory for names isn't very good as you noticed!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy