Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs to install a new avalanche beacon practise area

Poster: A snowHead
Les Arcs is planning to install for 2006/07 a new zone for practising avalanche beacon searches. Located at the top of the TransArc gondola it will have 10 beacons buried under the snow, and an automatic system where you set the number of beacons you are trying to locate within a 20 minute period. There's no charge for using it. In addition to the automatic facility there will be twice weekly sessions with Les Arcs Pisteurs who will talk in more detail about avalanche dangers (Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, at 2.30pm). These will take place at a new reception building for the Pisteurs, also at the top of the Transarc.

More info (currently in French) on the Les Arcs website here and here.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, my Franglaise isn't to good, do you need your own tranciever too?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, What a great idea. Beats transceivers in the park - as long as it doesn't get too popular.
marc gledhill, Bien sur. Je pense wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marc gledhill, I grovel.

As I read it, you do. The facility lets you choose the number of victims to search for, and you can practice probing, too. But you provide your own probes and transceivers, I think.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles, snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just watched Ray Mears using avalanche transceivers - excellent program. Do insurance companies not demand people use these devices when they go off-piste ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles wrote:
rob@rar, What a great idea. Beats transceivers in the park

But hardly a substitute, because we live nearer the park. All practice is good practice.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles wrote:
rob@rar, What a great idea. Beats transceivers in the park - as long as it doesn't get too popular.

Yes, I'm very pleased. I knew it was going to be installed because PG interviewed the chief pisteur at Les Arcs last season, but I wasn't sure when it was going to be ready. Anyone have any experience of these facilities in other resorts, especially how busy they get?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
marc gledhill wrote:
rob@rar, my Franglaise isn't to good, do you need your own tranciever too?

Yes, but I think if you attend one of the afternoon sessions with the pisteurs I'd guess you could borrow one to get some feel for how they work.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The pisteurs have been running the training sessions for a few seasons now. They also do them over in Vallandry sometimes. If you go on a Tuesday or Thursday, they will teach you how to use the gear and lend you equipment if you do not have any, but it is best to take your own if you have it in case to many poeple come on good weather days. I would recommend going for a bad weather day, more like the real thing. If you go outside the teaching time you need to bring your own gear. But if they are not busy they will still give you some good tips. Most of the Pisteurs are willing to try and explain as best they can in English but it is a good way to practise French. I am really pleased to hear they are going to make it more official now, not just if you know about it. The site is really easy to find just near the top of the new lift above Arc 2000 and the end of the Transarc. Used it for a couple of seasons with friends a few times before we went off piste skiing, wanted to be sure they new how to use the gear, you never can be to careful.

I would really recommend this to anyone going off piste or for something fun and educational for your kids. I have heard they will be doing a similar thing in Tignes/Val d'Isere and 3 Valleys. Does anyone know if this is true.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
Anyone have any experience of these facilities in other resorts, especially how busy they get?

Whistler has an area near the Rendezvous on Blackcomb. Never busy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowcrazy wrote:
The pisteurs have been running the training sessions for a few seasons now. They also do them over in Vallandry sometimes. If you go on a Tuesday or Thursday, they will teach you how to use the gear and lend you equipment if you do not have any, but it is best to take your own if you have it in case to many poeple come on good weather days. I would recommend going for a bad weather day, more like the real thing. If you go outside the teaching time you need to bring your own gear. But if they are not busy they will still give you some good tips. Most of the Pisteurs are willing to try and explain as best they can in English but it is a good way to practise French. I am really pleased to hear they are going to make it more official now, not just if you know about it. The site is really easy to find just near the top of the new lift above Arc 2000 and the end of the Transarc. Used it for a couple of seasons with friends a few times before we went off piste skiing, wanted to be sure they new how to use the gear, you never can be to careful.

I would really recommend this to anyone going off piste or for something fun and educational for your kids. I have heard they will be doing a similar thing in Tignes/Val d'Isere and 3 Valleys. Does anyone know if this is true.

Thanks for the feedback - sounds good. Courchevel has a similar setup already, near the bottom of the Suisses piste, and doesn't Tignes have something along these lines as part of the SPOT zone?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here is an article about beacon basins which may be of interest. Feel free to leave additional comments/questions at PisteHors.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I realise this is an old thread but does anyone know if these sessions still run and if so when?

Cheers

Chris
snow conditions
http://en.lesarcs.com/activities/winter-sport-activities/snowpark/snowpark/avalanche-parc.html

We just went in with her own transceivers. We were able to locate "bodies" OK but struggled to trigger the noise indicating we'd probed correctly.
snow conditions
Great, thanks for the link and info.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy