Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste Maps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This site claims to have the largest worldwide online collection of piste maps
No need to log in.
They're not brilliant if you try printing them but for a quick view of a resort that's new to you it could be useful. The resorts' profiles alongside the thumbnail maps might also help until our own Phase 2 Resorts database information is available. Beware - a couple I checked were not up-to-date (no Vannoise Express for example) but the map dates are clearly shown. We already have some resorts in snowBase which are not listed in SkiMaps and we link to the official resort web sites (where possible) which are more likely to be updated.

From a resort profile in SkiMaps.com ......
Quote:
La Plagne came top in a computer assessment of 3000 ski resorts world-wide. It has 10 different bases, six purpose - built, four traditional, offering the ubiquitous 'something for everyone'. The resort has pioneered the installation of high capacity chairs and has more of the newst 'six-pac' six seater high-speed detachable chairs (capacity 3000 skiers per hour each) than any other resort on earth!
Anyone agree / disagree with the 1st sentence ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hom many computers do you know that ski ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The one in the Netherlands looks interesting!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnboy, well spotted. Wonder what the historical snow record's like ?

And the Scottish maps aren't too good. I'm beginning to think this site is a bit past it's sell-by date. Looks like a good idea at the time which ran out of steam. Italy for example has more maps missing than provided. Sorry people.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kuwait_ian, can't be great as the only picture they have is snowless. But then considering that they have two entries for Flims/Laax/Falera and one without a map, I think you might be right.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This website started years ago. I remember finding it 10+ years ago and then it was pretty good. It packed up for a few years and then started up again. It used to rely on people sending in scanned in piste maps. Mind you with good tourist office websites it's a bit redundant now.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We had about 12" of snow in that dutch "resort" this winter... it lasted about 5 days. Surprising to see they've not got any Belgian resorts up - and I KNOW they exist as I've just bought a house next to one! Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kuwait_ian, greetings, and I wish you a jolly weekend. Here there are truly Amazing Events: I can see blue sky and the sun is shining. Haven't seen blue sky round here for weeks. All to do with the Pesky Polar Front Jet Stream.

Your piste map site, skimaps.com, is a bit like my desk. Hopelessly behind schedule but full of good intentions. The page leads with "Updates in progress for the 2004-2005 ski season...", but further on down admits "Latest Map: Sep 17, 1999." Indeed, there is no Vanois Express, and it still shows the Long Drag out of Plagne Centre (La Foncle).

I agree that good on-line piste maps would be useful. Many are of too low resolution to be of any real help. Would we be compromising Copyright to scan in Piste maps and publish them here?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim, TKS - but my w/end is Friday. I'd love to see a cloud...... 47C in the shade today.

I think we would be in breach of copyright and it would be a huge task. But U's wonderful snowBase has links to hundreds of official resort web sites and you can easily view piste maps in there. Trouble is loads of them are just tiny low-res scanned images of foldout maps and even with the aid of a microscope you can't see much online. If you just want numbers of runs, kms, nos of lifts etc, the SCGB resorts info or tour operators' web sites are pretty good. Or goski.com is pretty comprehensive. (Took an age to open the home page). Loads of wordy resort descriptions with skier reviews and comments. But no piste maps.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim wrote:

I agree that good on-line piste maps would be useful. Many are of too low resolution to be of any real help. Would we be compromising Copyright to scan in Piste maps and publish them here?

I'm not totally clear why it would be useful, anyone with a search engine can find the URL of the resort who'll typically have a piste map if you really need to see one at all.

I recall the piste map site being started and it pre-dates a lot of the ski stations having websites and it's fairly obvious (to me anyway) the one of the reasons it's stalled is there no need for it. I can type, for example, “Les Arcs piste map” into google, hit “I’m feeling lucky” and up pops a piste map. Copying data that exists elsewhere seems a fairly pointless activity, I’d have thought the pitfalls were fairly obvious.

Snow Forecast has a lot of piste maps on their web pages for what it's worth. for my money their links to peoples photos are worth 100 times the piste map.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy