Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Annual travel insurance

Poster: A snowHead
PamG wrote:

- if I did, assuming I didn't claim for previous trips, how would they know that I had previously been skiing?

They wouldn't know BUT... if you were unfortunate enough to suffer a really really big claim they would investigate and may well ask how much skiing you'd done in the peroid of the policy. I think loads of people take a flyer on this issue.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmmm, not sure if anyones interested or not but (and i have dogtag insurance, oh noes) but dogtag are taking a kicking over on another forum, not sure if I'm allowed to post a link but if not goggle for adrenalin trip and look at the snowboard forum

even though I've got top insurance with them I may look at getting carte niege aswell, pain in the ass but I'd rather not take the risk to be honest
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sharon1953, you got a link for them, or a phone number?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont, they are based in Tunbridge, Kent. 0870 1128100 www.worldwideinsure.com. The "Elite" policy is the better of the two winter sports ones
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sharon1953, thanks.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No good though, seems to be a maximum of 31 days skiing per year,
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont, well to be honest, I asked about 2 weeks, as we might grab a 2nd one, and it worked out the same price to take another seperate policy rather than an annual one, and perhaps not need it. So maybe it would be the same for you. As we wouldn't in our wildest dreams be able to have 31 days skiing in a year (unless our lottery ticket came good) I don't think we will ever have to face the problem to solve!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sharon1953, no,as we will need the annual cover, as we have an apartment we will manage that this winter if we include the PSB in October.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
how do the insurance companies keep track of the number of days you ski/board per year?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops, good qeuestion, I assume you have to give them the dates. Helen Beaumont, well I guess if we had one, we'd certainly try do that many, in fact I might be tempted to do just 31 days in the UK !!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sharon1953, just arranged annual world wide cover (USA etc. included) plus winter sports for 105 quid with the good old Post Office. Off piste with guide, piste closure, non use of lift pass if ill, damage to skis (except wear & tear) blah blah, blah covered, 21 days oi skiing. I asked about how they monitor the 21 days and they laughed and said it was based on trust - I nearly choked !! I think they must have this 21 day type rule to distinguish between recreational 'a few weeks a year' skiing and seasonaires who must have a more expensive insurance. If I can get 21 days a year on the snow under my belt I will be happy !
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops wrote:
how do the insurance companies keep track of the number of days you ski/board per year?
They don't. But, if you make a claim they ask for evidence of when you travelled. So, in the case of someone who goes over their 17 or 31 days all in one trip (like some season workers do thinking they'll blag it if necessary!) then you'll get caught. If you've made multiple trips then it is close to impossible for the insurance co to know. Problem comes if you're subject of a really big claim then you might find that they'll investigate thoroughly and may ask questions about the number of trips / days you've had under that policy. Basically, it's a self-policed thing and they figure that most people are honest about it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller. I think for people who ski a week here and a week there they are not too bothered about, but as you say anyone doing a month or two (or more) at ski resorts will have a bit of a rough ride trying to claim. The limited number of days looks like more of a safeguard against long term travel rather than an actual limit for multiple trips. Incidentally my insurance only covers trips of up to 30 days at a time so it is a bit more difficult to abuse. Also taking your own ski gear on holiday with you sort of suggests you are on a ski holiday and I am sure that in the case of a big claim any investigation team could find out that information quite easily.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well I renewed my Essential Travel insurance. So far they have been great. Hubby fell on a piste yesterday and immediately knew he'd broken his collar bone. He got to the piste medic hut and had to be stretchered off the mountain(315 euros) and ambulanced (140 euros) to the town medical centre. We paid the doctor (205 euros) and a pharmacy bill (71 euros) and a taxi back to our resort (we couldn't have been any further away - 60 euros). On phoning the insurance while in the medical centre the very nice man said they would sort out the piste recovery and ambulance and he verbally told me there shouldn't be a problem with the other expenses, just to make sure we have all reciepts. So at the moment I'm really happy with them, providing everything gets paid in the end.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Insurance is only as good as the service you get when making a claim. I have used GO for one year but on looking at a ratings site they are VERY unlikely to pay out for anything with reasons that verge on the ridiculous. Most companies make it difficult to claim but they seemed the worse.

Personally, I'm only really bothered about the medical cover even though my gear is worth nearly £1500.
ski holidays
I have annual insurance with P.J. Hayman - it covers an unlimited number of days skiing. We've just put in a claim for medical expenses incurred when my husband broke his leg in Courchevel and they paid the full amount within a week, no quibbles. Their emergency service was also very helpful. I'll definitely be renewing with them next year, assuming my premium doesn't go through the roof! snowHead
snow conditions
Just noticed that in the snowcard activity levels, use of snowparks is a level up from off-piste without a guide. Make sure you are covered for what you do, gang.
snow conditions
Sorry if this has already been discussed but a brief look didn't produce anything: daughter has annual travel policy without winter sports cover. She is coming with the rents to Chamonix soon and may ski one or two days. Will the insurance you can buy with your lift ticket (carte neige??) cover her for medical expenses, rescue etc? Not bovvered about loss of skis etc just medical bills, rescue from mountain if the worst happened

Ann
snow report
The Carte Neige is a top up insurance only and is designed to work with private insurance: http://www.natives.co.uk/news/2004/10/16cart.htm. You should get hold of an EHIC card for your daughter - this will entitle you to reduce costs in a state hospital. As an example of costs, my husband recently broke his leg. Our bill was £1300 (reclaimable on our insurance) - that's with an EHIC and there were no repatriation costs involved as I drove him home. I can only shudder at what an air ambulance would cost!

Personally I wouldn't risk a ski holiday without private medical insurance.
latest report
Nephew broke his wrist in Colorado. He needed surgery, and a plate inserted, god knows what the bill will be. First day of their holiday too. Sad
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, is he a border? Hope his recovery goes well.
snow report
achilles, yes, and I don't think any of them really go in for lessons much either. This is his third wrist break (others on a skateboard). rolling eyes
latest report
Hi All,
just thought I'd tag on to this thread ...
I've got annual insurance through my LLoyds bank account.
One of the specific exceptions to cover is toboganning, and there's no upgrade available to cover it.
Bit of a shame really cause it's great fun.
Now I don't really want to change my policy becuse it's pretty good value - the bank package covers AA and insurance for my family for quite a bit less than if I paid for sepate policies.
Is there any way I could get insurance cover v.cheaply on the off-chance I wanted to go tobogganing ?
While toboganning is fun, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if I couldn't do it - but it would nice to have the option.
Any ideas ?
Hamish
latest report
is it best to get s a years worth (i dive as well) or to get a weeks worth of to the hills in april?
snow conditions
1) I have inclusive annual insurance on my Lloyds account too, but when I tried adding OH and kids for the annual, and winter sports for me and the kids (as OH doesn't ski), it came out more expensive than buying a separate annual policy, with winter sports, for the whole family (also the cover wasn't that good = poor VfM). So I got Insureandgo - which was just as well as it covers Libya and Lloyds doesn't. I see petemllis paid only £50 extra on his Lloyds, but I'm sure I was quoted a lot more - it was a while ago.

2) As most people now have a standard annual policy, why does no-one sell a winter sports only insurance for the week(s) you ski?, It seems silly to be double-covered for elements such as travel and luggage - if they did, it would work out cheaper?

3) Carte Neige (the one you buy c€3 per day with lift pass) seems to be a good add-on, but does it also duplicate some elements of your winter sports cover?

4) Re the specifics of off-piste cover: I have read somewhere (here or SCGB ) a thread that suggested you should check details with your insurer, to be clear exactly what is, and what is not covered. So I did that, and they refused to tell me. I quote from their reply "I understand from my colleague that you would like a clearer definition of the terms and conditions of your current policy. Unfortunately, the terms and conditions are written by the Underwriters and as such we are only permitted to apply those terms as they originally appear (i.e.. no simplification can be offered in the event that we inadvertently change the meaning / definition)." Helpful - not.
latest report
SuburbanSkier,

I only paid £50 for winter sports upgrade, up to 17 days a year for me and Mr HL - thats with the annual insurance on the Gold account.,
snow report
An update on my insurance claim which may assist others as it seems to be a common problem causing delays to payouts.

I received a letter back from the insurers (Essential Travel, underwritten by AXA) asking me to sign some forms - except they didn't enlcose the forms rolling eyes . Apparently there's a section on the doctor's form - the orangy brown one - that practically everyone doesn't fill in which needs to be signed. Here is a picture showing where 'X' marks the spot. Because it's in French no-one knows it has to be signed. Doh.

snow conditions
Hamish, You've got the same insurance as me. I made a calim this morning on it for 350 Euros. What an amazing service, all sorted over the phone, no paperwork, no proof asked for as such as small claim and the cheque will be with me in 10 days. It's the easiest claim I've ever made.
I'm dead impressed. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Annual Question
My Annual Travel insurance (including 42 days ski and off piste and covers ski's left outside Restaurant's) comes up for re-newal this month.
Any reccomendations?
(This years was with Fogg.)
ski holidays
Quote:

One of the specific exceptions to cover is toboganning, and there's no upgrade available to cover it.

Possibly because it must be one of the most dangerous activity on the mountain... especially as so many people do it whilst drunk, in the dark. Our annual insurance through P J Hayman costs £260 for two of us, but covers our medical conditions and unlimited skiing and trips of up to 60 days. We found no others which did all that. It includes toboganning, but I stick to skiing and snowboarding; less dangerous.
snow conditions
We're heading off for a family trip to the Canadian Rockies in 10 days time - we'll be touring staying at hotels. On the way we'll be white water rafting, canoeing, hiking, mountain biking (easy), zip lining (the kids, not me), canopy walking, whale watching, and horse riding. So all in all it'll be exhausting but hopefully the trip of a lifetime (so far). Anyone know where would be a good source of insurance cover? Ta.
snow report
noggy, Fogg insure are very good. They have a very clearly worded policy document.
Others on here reccomend Dog Tag.
snow report
boredsurfin, thanks - will give them a go.
snow report
Mine is also coming up for renewal - need annual worldwide, off piste skiing, heliskiing. Last year I used the Ski Club's new policy but they loaded it as I had breast cancer 17 years ago so if anyone in the business has any ideas I would be very grateful.
ski holidays
skilegs, Try Fogg Insure, I have also heard that Dog Tag is quite good.
snow conditions
Iv'e used Dogtag for a few years, never had a problem, i also know of someone who had a pretty major claim for a helicopter rescue in canada on one of their policys...AFAIK it was all sorted pretty quickly and easily
ski holidays
All imho but looked into annual multitrip family worldwide incld USA today:

Direct Premier
- good policy and value for 100
- stable pre-existing med conditions amongst close relatives ok
- reasonably unattended skis allowed according to underwriters on phone (not clear but implied on policy wording)
- no guide needed off piste in Europe or inbounds in US; guide needed out of bounds US
- no avvy levels specifically ruled in or out
- race training incld

Insure & Go Gold
- very good policy and value for 94.5
- reasonably unattended skis allowed according to underwriters on phone (policy wording states unattended only ok if on rack 10am-8pm)
- no guide needed off piste
- race training incurs extra premium eg £23 for 5days

Dogtag Max with Sport
- not attractive policy or price at 134
- close relatives on any treatment at all need to be discussed. No flexibility on this when I spoke to them.
- can't leave skis unattended. No flexibility on this when I spoke to them.
- can only ski within defined ski area or "inbounds" else guide needed; no clear Europe specific info but see here
- race training not ruled in or out

SCGB Executive
- ok policy but expensive 177
- reasonably unattended skis allowed according to underwriters on phone (but not so on policy wording)
- no guide needed off piste
- only avvy level4/5 disallowed
- race training incld

Min med cover 10mil, hol abandonmt 4k, pers accid 20k, pers effects 1.5k. Recreational mountain biking and surfing ok. Qualified diving to 30m incld. Rock climbing always extra.

PJHayman directly (need adventure policies for decent off piste cover) and Snowcard (even only 2/52 skiing for family with off piste) way too expensive. Fogg policy wording stood out as mightily defensive; also diving only to 9m and don't even think about mountain biking unless on a path; current off-piste skiing wording seemed reasonable.

E&OE.

After all that, I've signed up with Direct (again) Laughing esp as renewal discount.

Edited to clarify.
snow conditions
I found two companies that both provide me Annual policy, with a similar level of cover and the premiums are within £5 of each other. These are:- GO Travel + Direct Travel

So Im interested in upto date feedback about either company response to an incident or just their plain customer service.

Thanks
ski holidays
I've used Direct travel before but never made a claim with them so don't know how good they are and that is the real test.
latest report
I claimed for a camera with Direct Travel. Claim was settled very quickly, so quickly in fact that the camera turned up from the hotel where it was lost, on the same day as the cheque. We returned the cheque, but it took them less than two weeks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy