Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you reckon this skier has got restricted vision?

Poster: A snowHead
Seriously. The last time I saw someone adopt this arm position was during a blackout in a coal mine.

What's he feeling for?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is this a scene from a new star wars film - storm troopers on boards??
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A Tommy Cooper impression?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
(Seriously) you regularly see race skiers, minus poles, training in this position on the slopes.... balance, weight forward, etc....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dan, it's a monoski - how do the boarders feel about monoskis?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ian Hopkinson, it's still a board! i think they're blooming impressive when i've seen them in action. It's funny but i've never seen anyone learning on, i've only seen people hurtling at 100+ mph (creative license Wink ) carving thin lines down the cordory.........really good to watch & the speed/control is impressive.

I've got no problems with any forms of sports...........just idiots! Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
Dan, it's a monoski - how do the boarders feel about monoskis?

No, on monoskis your feet are side by side, as though 2 skis were welded together. I tried one once and I assure you it was a bruising experience. Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Since we've gone (semi) technical, I believe it's a Skwal.

Not sure if they're still in production.

And, PG, you're absolutely right. It's also the arm position adopted by speed skateboarders.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So, they're a sort of honorary snowboard then Very Happy

I'm not sure how you go about learning to monoski or telemark or langlauf for that matter...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball, Ian Hopkinson, I've always just know them as "Alpine Racing Boards" which you use with hard boots (aka ski boots).

These are definately still made.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Skwal was actually a wholly original concept. From memory, it appeared 12-15 years ago but I'd have to check.

I've a friend - a ski and board instructor - who rode one in Les 2 Alpes and reckoned it was a significant technical challenge.

Anyone who can crank one of those things up to speed deserves respect. The sensitivity on the edge must be critical - one little error in balance would have you cartwheeling, I should think.

I hope that compensates for my initial pi**take!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
(Ooops David - looks like we are taking your thread off topic!)

I thought the Alpine Racing boards were snowboards with Alpine ski bindings using the same stance as a snowboarder - i.e. feet across the board, whilst the monoski was more akin to two skis stuck together with the feet facing forward.

I would like to use as evidence the fact that the picture file is called monoski.jpg! This chaps feet are facing forward but are offset - perhaps he has found the third way Wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dan wrote:
snowball, Ian Hopkinson, I've always just know them as "Alpine Racing Boards" which you use with hard boots (aka ski boots).

These are definately still made.

These are race boards, the stance angles tend toward the feet being parallel to the side but don’t quite get there, this is a skwal.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd not heard of a skwal before; I'm no expert but it does look Mathias is about to come to grief in the second picture on that webpage...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
oh, and you don't use ski boots with alpine boards ........

Mrs Ise has an Alpine board, it's soooooo fast if you push it compared to a freeride board.
snow conditions
........all looks pretty similar to me?
ski holidays
....and this is a monoski...

Have you seen these guys trying to use a button lift....it doesn't look easy!
ski holidays
Sod the button lift, how the hell does he put that suit on in the morning and get out the door alive..............is he colour blind (if not jsut blind?) Shocked Shocked

Infact he almost looks like a flying squirrel with that "webbing" under his arms.
snow report
It's definitely a Skiwal, and David's right they really rip. If you want to learn to ride one come to La Rosiere, one of the instructors is the current French champion and the ex-European champion. There are regular Skiwal competions through the season, so they are a fairly regular sight around the slopes.
ski holidays
David@traxvax, do they all wear those ridiculous suits??? NehNeh
latest report
No, but ELHO one-pieces, preferably in vivid neon and mulletts are de rigeour for the Germans.
snow report
Dan, Oi! He looks nothing like me, and I've never been a proud owner of an all-in-one (at 5ft 7 you wouldn't either, even for fancy dress).
I like the look of his monoski though snowHead . Just what I've been after in the Buy/Sell/etc thread!
ski holidays
David@traxvax, Laughing Laughing
latest report
David@traxvax wrote:
No, but ELHO one-pieces, preferably in vivid neon and mulletts are de rigeour for the Germans.

Do Peter Storm do one-pieces?
ski holidays
Flying Squirrel, if you want a mono-ski, we have one, currently sitting on the wall odf our ski-room, only used once a year, usually the end of season race and water jump. So I wouldn't be too sad to see it go but it always gets a big cheer and everyone assures me that mono-skis will be back!
latest report
flying_squirrel, Embarassed sorry i forgot there was someone on this forum with that name! I'll hold you to that..........maybe you could have a shine at your place to wierd and wonderful skiing outfits...........possibly a ceremonial burning every week???
snow report
Dan, a "shine"? Now you're accusing me of being bald! (correctly, as it happens)
I'm personally a big fan of the deliberately naff, probably explains why I want a monoski - to put it on the wall of the bar as sarcastic response to all the other bars in the alps that have skis and snowboards with "smashed by blah blah '98 jumping the so-and-so cliff" written on them. I rather like a monoski with "smashed by blah blah when they beat me up for skiing on a monoski"...

Always worth having a camera with you to snap owners of these hideous outfits - maybe I could have a wall of shame with photos of offenders surrounding the monoski?
ski holidays
David@traxvax, how much do you want for it?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flying squirrel, there are a couple of skiing websites dedicated to Mono-skis and one-pieces/mullets if Mr Goldsmith is lurking maybe he could ferret them out.
snow report
flying_squirrel, it's a pet hobby of mine, snapping horrid outfits on the slopes. My gf & mates find it hilarious.

I think the weekly ski suit massacre or something could be a bit hit!!! Do you bit for ski fashion and sacrifice an all in one ski suit. Do a drinks promo with it as well???? A would love to see that and a shrine ( Wink ) to ski fashion disasters. If you are in need of a start to the collection www.ebay.co.uk and search for ski suits...........foussands of em (- opps sorry that's from the films phrases thread!).
snow report
Quote:
...if Mr Goldsmith is lurking maybe he could ferret them out.

..... from his ski room? Shocked Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Please don't bring ferrets into this.

As for monoskis, there's a photo of me skiing one on the White Lady c.1978 in a particularly vulgar 1970s stripey stretch ski suit (2 piece, I hasten to add)...

...in a magazine I'm not going to name.
ski holidays
Dan, I like it! A heady cocktail or anarchy and good fashion sense, with a touch of profit for me! I could invent (or re-use...) a lurid coloured cocktail just for the occasion.

Need to make sure it doesn't take on "Whicker Man" proportions though - parading some poor soul through the village in an 80's Nevica suit, setting light to him and hurling him off the mountain!
latest report
Since DG's relatively subdued, I'll point out Lateral Pressure; somewhere on there there's a link to tele-monoskis . . ..
snow report
Shocked
snow report
comprex, I checked out the link, immediately clicked on 'Dope', and found the monoskiing mountie. Is that one of the photos, DG? Wink
snow conditions
No, that's my first encounter with the monoskiing mountie.

Do they find horses embarrassing?
ski holidays
PG, David Goldsmith, were is his dog/wolf..................or was that just in the tv - mum did tell me not to believe "everything" i watch!
snow report
Dan, find out for yourself here. The disconnect for me is in the Maritimes, where, of course, they have boats.

skanky, here you go.

Quote:
The Teleboard corrects defects intrinsic in the design of snowboards. Rather than placing the weight of the rider on opposing sides of the waist of the board, making it difficult to arc, the Teleboarder's weight presses on the waist of the board. Rather than locking the heels down and restricting movement, the Teleboard's modern telemark bindings allow the rider's weight to move through a wide range, initiating turns with hard forward thrusts and extending the carves by pulling back along the axis of the board.
snow report
David@traxvax, saw your ladies champion in action when last in La Ros-impressive.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy