Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Experience of SNCF sleeper service from Austerlitz to BSM?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've used the overnight SnowTrain service several times (Eurostar to Gare du Nord, then the sleeper train to Moutier/BSM). I found it OK but not the most pleasant experience, with slightly too many drunk or excitable holiday-makers for my liking.

Has anyone used the regular sleeper service from Austerlitz to BSM? I think it runs every day, so provides a bit more flexibility about when to travel. How does it compare to the charter SnowTrain used by the British tour operators? Any idea of cost? Would my complete lack of French (which is a source of great shame on my part) be a major hindrance when using this service?

Regards

Rob
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's a hassle getting there from the Gare du Nord - not quite so bad if you arrive in Paris in the evening though. Either metro or taxi to Austerlitz, about 3 miles away (depending on the taxi driver rolling eyes ).

By train, I much prefer avoiding Paris altogether. The way to do this is to go Waterloo-Lille Europe, then for example......
LILLE EUROPE (59) 16h10 arr. LYON PART DIEU (69) 19h05
LYON PART DIEU (69) 19h28 BOURG ST MAURICE (73) 22h37

Ok you change in Lyon, but it's at the TGV station, really easy, and only 20 minutes to wait.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PG, is there an overnight service from Lille-Europe? Travelling overnight means I can get a bit more skiing done without taking too much time out of the office. It's also more convenient to arrive at BSM at brekfast time and then to get up to Arc 1800 using funicular and resort bus, rather than having to pay for a taxi up the mountain if I arrive at BSM at the end of the evening.

Regards

Rob
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't think so - it's a TGV (high speed train) route, the only overnighters than I know of are via Paris.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rob, the service runs every night leaving Gare d' Austerlitz at around 10pm and arives in BSM 6.30am. You'll have to share a couchette but it's comfortable enough, although there aren't any catering services on the train. It's about a 15 -20 minute cab ride from Gare de Nore, costs about 10 euros. If you go to www.raileurope.co.uk you'll find the details. SNCF have a few special offer tickets available for each journey, they were £99.00 return from London last year but you have to comply with the booking conditions to get them. It's worth calling Raileurope to dsicuss, their ticket-agents are very helpful. I've used it afew times and we've had quite a few of our clients travel on it, without any problems.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Taking the metro is also nice and easy.

As David said, there are no catering facilities on the train so remember to take water and a bit of food to keep you going. Also keep your fingers crossed that you don't have to share with an over amourous French couple (and if you do have to take the bunk above them and not under)!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've used this route a few times. It definately has a more 'civilised' atmosphere to it. The couchettes are a little (very little) more comfortable than the GDN service (I think the French hire their oldest servicable train to the Brits). Also, a nice twist is that there's always a bottle of water with each bed, usually a little pack with earplugs/ facewipe etc. too. True there's no catering as such on the train though there are usually a couple of vending machines doing hot and cold drinks - Beware, u are unlikely to find a place to get change for them if u don't have it already.
Another plus is that this service has optional 'first' class couchettes. These sleep four rather than six and are more comfortable. They're not much more expensive and a good option for families.
I believe u can go further and take a cabin for one or two (possibly even with ensuite shower) but I've never looked into this in detail.

The trip from GDN to Austerlitz isn't too arduous - we've done it with smallish kids a couple of times and they like the adventure of it. It's just one metro line, the orange one (no.5 I think) about 7 stops. There is a left luggage facility at Austerlitz (there's none at GDN) so if u plan to have a meal in Paris on the way through, it's worth going there and dropping the bags off in a locker. There's quite a variety of restaurants across the road from Austerlitz.

The really big plus for us last time was the added flexibility re. how long u want to stay in Paris between trains. On the way back,we got in early on Sunday morning, left the bags and walked the kids accross Paris and up the Eifel tower.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree with u brain, it's easy, the trains are far nicer than those used by the charter companies - generally it's far more civilised. The only downside is that you have to get to Gare d'Austerlitz, which with a lot of baggage is a pain on the metro. It is however only 9 stops on line 5 heading towards Place d'Italie. Gare d'Austerlitz is being renovated so it's a lot nicer than it used to be.

I have previously had problems with my Eurostar being delayed and then having to sprint across Paris only just managing to make my connection.

I'd go for booking the train as early as possible to get the best prices. It's often better to call Rail Europe directly as they don't always have the best fares on the internet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah, 9 stops that'll be it - I used to always think it was 5 so I'm getting closer.

I've not had a Eurostar more than a few minutes off the mark in 8 trips: u must have been unlucky Tigger, or maybe U was just lucky Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
u brain, I travel on the Eurostar regularly, and it's frequently late - wasn't too bad this evening, only 15 minutes late! It's definitely more reliable going to Paris.

If it is late, make sure you get the stamp from the Eurostar staff on the gate - means that you can claim your hotel costs back from Eurostar if you miss your connecting train and have to stay in Paris
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Rail Europe won't take bookings more than 60 days before the date of departure. I'd recommend getting the 1st class couchette for the extra space. Unlike Sherlock, though, from personal experience, go for the bottom bunks! At least if your fellow travellers get armorous, you can still get out if you need to! And if you decide to get armorous, you'll be much happier on the bottom bunk, rather than placing your combined trust in the fixings of the top bunk!

I've used the TGV once and on that occassion Eurostar into Paris was delayed, leaving a close 30 mins from arrival at Gare d'Austerlitz to departure.

On balance, I'd say that the journey is the least tiring and most beneficial in terms of the extra skiing you get. The advice to telephone Rail Europe is spot on - they're very helpful.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob, I have used both snowtrain and Gare d'Austerlitz service for some six years.
I go out on the snowtrain for our anaesthetic conference. You're a brave man: I wouldn't venture onto the snowtrain unless I knew all other guys in the couchette, and the couchette was as far from the disco car as possible. Rough-and-ready, but lots of fun if you know the other guys: a sort of mini-party.
SNCF service from Gare d'Austerlitz is fine. Jouney across Paris is no problem. If little luggage take the metro. If lots of luggage take a taxi. Go 1st class: only 4 in a compartment (as opposed to 6), sleeping bag instead of sheet and blanket, bottle of water provided. Very civilised.
Eurostar can get delayed (not common) so take earlier train from Waterloo and enjoy a meal in Paris.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy