Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste In The Arlberg

Poster: A snowHead
Coming soon.

Im writing up some serious information on Off-Piste Routes in and around the Arlberg . More km's than On-Piste Very Happy

The info will be just the well known (in the know) off-piste descents that you pay guides for Sad

Specific route info will be on request.

No routes should be attempted unless you have experience of "non grommers" hiking in un prepared deep snow. have mastererd skiing in all snow condtions. i.e DeepPow,Crud,BreakCrud,Slab,Ice & all kinds of unexpected gradients, ie. ridges,couloirs,open powder fields with no escape Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stop waffleing and hurry up and writre it then. rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Problem I got tennis elbow,yes from the Pc mouse very very painfull . Im doing my best. Probably get the first 30 or so routes up by Monday .
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Problem I got tennis elbow,yes from the Pc mouse very very painfull

ooooh stanton, you do seem like "hard core" wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From work . I know a few tech folk with it . It is extremely painfull. Yes & b4 anyone asks I know every KB shorcut there is & also swapped hands but it does not help as its the finger motion . Only cure is lonf term rest Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

also swapped hands but it does not help as its the finger motion

Surf less of those 'special' sites !! it may also save your eyesight wink Cool
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I only use a trackball these days and rest my arm and it on a big squishy cushion, no pains in the wrist since.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stanton,

Sounds a great idea, look forward to it..... Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:
Problem I got tennis elbow,yes from the Pc mouse very very painfull . Im doing my best. Probably get the first 30 or so routes up by Monday .

Carpal tunnel syndrome?

I had a problem. Got a Kensington pro trackball. Problem solved.

Looking forward to seeing your routes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles,

Carpal tunnel syndrome not yet my pain is more in the forearm,elbow.

http://www.mflohc.mb.ca/fact_sheets_folder/mouse_related_pain.html

Cool thanks for the trackbull link, must admot havent thought about one of those.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Heres a start including St Anton(Kapal,Valluga.Pfanne,Galzig,Rendl),Lech & Warth (Warth is not on Arlberg Lift Pass but descents end nearby Lech)

St Anton

Kapal Level VD (M) (Km appx) Dest

Schöngraben-Schafgliger Ex 1030 3.7 Nasserein
Schöngraben-Wald Mod/Ex 1030 3.7 Nasserein

Valluga (2) Level VD (M) (Km appx) Dest

Valluga Nord Ex 900 4.1 Base Trittalpfbahn Zurs
Valluga West Ex 900 4.8 Base Trittkopfbahn Zurs
Valluga West Brückenschuβ Ex 900 4.7 Base Trittkopfbahn Zurs
Valluga West (S/W variant) Ex 900 4.8 Base Trittkopfbahn Zurs

Pfanneköpfe Level VD (M) (Km appx) Dest

Pfanne-Valfagehr (SW variant) Mod 580 2.8 Rauz
Pfanne-Valfagehr (E variant) Mod 580 2.8 Rauz

Galzig Level VD (M) (Km appx) Dest

Jungbrunntobel Mod/Ex 800 3.2 Moos
Maienwasen Mod 800 3.1 Moos
Nachtigall/Maieenwasen Mod 800 3.2 Moos
Maienplatt Mod 800 3.7 Moos
Maienplatt/Bagga Tobel Ex 800 3.5 Moos
Waldschneise Mod 800 4.6 Moss

Rendl (North Face) Level VD (M) (Km appx) Dest

Wannele-Gstansböden Mod 1150 3.7 Rendlbahn
Schimmelegg Mod 1150 3.8 Rendlbahn
Schimmelegg- Gstansböden Mod 1150 3.7 Rendlbahn

Rendl (Hinter Rendl) Level VD (M) (Km appx) Dest

Hinterer Rendl Mod 1340 4.9 Rendlbahn
Schimmelegg- Hinterer Rendl Ex 1150 4.3 Rendlbahn
Rendlscharte-MitterKar-Malfontal Mod/Ex 1350 9.5 Pettneu am Arlberg

Rendl (Roβfall) Level VD (M) (Km appx) Dest

Roβfal Mod 980 7.2 Rendlbahn

Lech

Rüfikopf Level VD (M) (Km appx) Dest

Schwarze Wand Ex 900 2.4 Lech
Wöster Mod/Ex 750 6.5 Lech
Bockbachta Mod/Ex 1100 11.7 Steeg (Lechtal)
WösterKopf Mod/Ex 1100 10 Base Schloβkopfbahn Lech
Fuchsloch Ex 860 2.4 Wiesele

ZugerHorn Level VD (M) (Km appx) Dest

ZugerHorn Abendweide Mod 220 3.3 Zug
ZugerHorn Abendweide(Svariant)Mod 220 3.3 Zug
Butzengratz-Schneetal Ex 870 10.2 Zug
Fürmesle Mod 640 3.9 Warth

Rotschrofenbahn Level VD (M) (Km appx) Dest

Melkertäli Mod 640 3.9 Warth

Warth

Auenfelderbahn Level VD (M) (Km appx) Dest

Karhorn Mod/Ex 750 4.3 Stubenbach (Lech)
Bürstegg Mod 600 4.8 Stubenbach (Lech)
Arlenberg-Karbühel Mod 660 3.8 Stubenbach (Lech)

Stuben, Zurs & Sonnenkopf to follow later.

Must emphasize these are Off-Piste descents not Ski touring Routes thats a different story Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton, All this is wetting my appetite to go back to St Anton again. Can you let the ignorant (I do pig-ignorant very well) have a key for thing s like "Dest", "Ex 900 2.4" und so veiter?

I do a lot of CAD work - and was getting pain in my wrist, palm, and under my forearm. That trackball (the ball is about the size of a snooker ball) ended the problem.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Me too..

Good stuff, certainly some reading-up material there...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, I'm assuming the key is:
level: Mod=moderate, Ex=expert,
VD (M) = vertical drop in metres
x.y = length of run in km
Dest = final destination of run

so "Butzengratz-Schneetal Ex 870 10.2 Zug" is an Expert run, dropping 870metres, 10.2km long, finishing in Zug.

Cue a whole thread on what "Expert" and "Moderate", or even "Moderate/Expert" actually mean.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles, GrahamN,

Sorry I didnt give the key, The formatting didn't coming out very well when I copy & pasted from Ms Word .

Graham explanation is corrrect.

FYI . There is approx 260km of Groomed Runs Sad which by far the majority of skiers use to get around The Arlberg
There is approx 350km of Off-Piste Very Happy , mostly lift served, with some hiking in places which only a few skiers have all to themselves to play in Very Happy Very Happy

Stop the Brutal Grooming.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 19-08-06 13:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I also forgot to say that some of these runs are not suitable for snowboarders.
ski holidays
stanton,

Good post.

GrahamN, Might have to talk about a trip to St A...Laughing
latest report
stanton, You might also be interested in the book "Off Piste in the Arlberg". I've only ever seen it in the book shop in St Anton. It's well worth picking up.
ski holidays
I,ve seen it amougst many others. You mean "Abseits der Piste" yes its written by a local Thurner Andreas. You can buy it from his website

http://www.outdoor-adventures.at/
snow report
Yep, it's by Andy Thurner, but it's in English and is called "Off Piste around the Arlberg" (I think). Perhaps it's the English translation of Abseits der Piste - it has the same picture on the cover? The English version doesn't seem to be available on his site so perhaps it's now out of print.
snow conditions
I beleive there is an English version,looks like they even translated his name ! I expect most if not all of the routes I have listed are in the book as they are well know amoungst the Arlberg Ski Bums Very Happy
snow report
Andy Thurner's book definitely available from anton eichner's book shop in St Anton, not sure where else, but you can email andy_thurner@hotmail.com or fax +43 (0) 5448 8253-33 to find out. An update with more recent images would be welcome, but its a handy thing to have in your pocket.

Or you can access information about St A on our www.ultimate-ski.com website, not pocket size but easy on the wallet - it's FREE.

http://www.ultimate-ski.com/uk/Ski_Resorts/Austria/St_Anton/index.html

http://www.ultimate-ski.com/uk/Off_Piste/Arlberg_Off_Piste/index.html

If anyone interested helping us extend our content, contributions / feed back welcomed

Also try Strolz website http://www.strolz.at/english/gesamt.htm you can find some equally handy outdoor tips (off piste with pics) not forgetting Herta's cooking tips and the super hypno background toons

Very Happy
snow report
David Holyoak,

I havent got time to go through all the Arlberg Off Piste listed on your website but I noticed quite a few decriptions of decent misleading

i.e

St.Anton to Ischgl
A good hard day tour skiing starting with a 3 hour climb to reach the Raute joch from where there are glorious descents down south and east slopes to reach Otztal and the resort of Ischgl

Otztal ? Silvretta

descents s/routes miss spelt ?

Sonnenkopf - Nassingast ? Nenzingasttal
ski holidays
Hi Stanton, was not expecting you to check etc but thanks for your comments which we're checking.

Andy Thurner apparently has a new book but I do not yet have details beyond the following ...

New Book – Arlberg Skitouringguide:

192 pages, 230!! Pictures, 37 routes with 63 runs clearely marked in the pictures.
Also included are 3-D Maps to every route.
Diveded into St. Anton, Zürs, Lech, Stuben and Sonnenkopf.
All routes are based on ski touring equipement.

Will post again as and when I can find out

Cheers

dh
Very Happy
snow conditions
thanks ...

not otztal, not silvretta, but andy thurner confirms is 'paznauntal' and yes as you rightly point out is nessingthiingyl

Eagle eyes always welcome

Cheers

dh
ski holidays
Just a note on the St Anton -Ischgl Route . This is the Darmstädter Hütte (Closed in winter) which you pass by. In summer you can take the Rendlbahn and hike to it .

http://www.alpenverein-darmstadt.de/Darmstaedter-Huette/index.htm

Heres some more info on the Austrian Mountain Hut System, nearly all are closed during the winter season.

Click on map to zoom up.

http://www.dav-huettensuche.de/index.php?pagedef=home
latest report
Just today booked a course in St. Anton with www.snoworks.co.uk in Jan. Not been there before so looking forward to finding what it's all about.
snow report
Yes, I have that old Andy Thurner book in English. It is often very unclear - just not enough detail.
Many of the French off-piste guides use phrases such as "pass a large rock on the left" - does this mean the rock is on your left or you pass to the left of it?
Obviously they need to be used with maps. However I have lost my 1:25,000 map (or was it maps?) of St Anton. Where can I buy replacement(s) from England?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN wrote:
Just today booked a course in St. Anton with www.snoworks.co.uk in Jan. Not been there before so looking forward to finding what it's all about.

Back for more punishment from Phil and colleagues!
snow report
GrahamN,

What week have you booked?. I've just booked on the 2nd week and will be staying in the Fauner.

Bod
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, absolutely...last year in Gressoney was great. Would like to go back there too, but doubt I have the time.
BOD, aargh... in the Fauna too, but booked for w/b the 13th. Was wondering about the later week, but I've got other commitments then.
ski holidays
snowball, Try www.Stanfords.co.uk
ski holidays
snowball,

Maybe amazon.co.uk ..... (scroll down to see various maps available from "amazon.co.uk" or "amazon.de").

http://www.euroalps.eu/countries/austria/St__Anton/stantonmap/stantonmap.html
ski holidays
Thanks ski and DB,
I tried the Stanfords website and found the map I wanted but when I wanted to pay they said I had to have a type 4 or 5 browser (it seems I didn't). I waited on their phone for 40 minutes but couldn't get to the head of the queue (if they had one). Seems like one has to go in to order.

I couldn't find those 1:25,000 maps on the other site.
latest report
Seems there was a problem with the Stanfords website. They emailed me and I've ordered. Smile
latest report
Anything Off=Piste/Back Country in the Arlberg just post here.

Its not necesary to pay fpr expensive Off-Piste guides Very Happy
latest report
Dear stanton, Well, I and a group of roughly SCGB-gold standard friends will be in St Anton with a guide (Graham Austick) in March for six days, but the two days before (sat/Sun 3 & 4 March) we shall be free skiing, mostly off-piste. We would be extremely happy to join up for a few runs, with your local "know-where", if you are around then. I have skied there twice before, but that is not really enough.
latest report
snowball,

I,ll be in the US

I do not guide.

Graham Austick knows the area inside out. I think he has around 4-5 guides working for him nowadays.
snow conditions
No, I didn't think you guided: what we shall do, pooling experience and a map, won't count as guiding either. Many of the steeper fields I would often play safe and not ski, when Graham would know if it was safe (or not) - so I'm not sure I agree that guides are unnecessary, especially if you are not familiar with the area. I am very wary of simply following a description of a route, even if I have a map.
However it might have been good to meet.
Yes, Graham is good (if expensive) and we have booked him personally for the week.
snow report
Quote:

Many of the steeper fields I would often play safe and not ski

A good policy. If in doubt dont ski it .

Quote:

I am very wary of simply following a description of a route, even if I have a map.

The best way of discovering these routes is to familiarise yourself with the area & hike them in the summer.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy