Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow in Sauze d'oulx

Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of going to Sauze d'oulx with a big group in March next year. After reading all the posts about this resort it sounds like the weather/snow can be a bit dodgy. Does anyone know if March is a good time to go?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hel, I don't think anyone can tell with any certainty. You could look at the historical snowfall records on the Ski Club website, which will give you an overview. Sauze is part of the Milky Way circuit, which does at least give you some alternative resorts on the same lift pass. If the snow wasn't great in Sauze itself, you could take a look at the connecting resorts perhaps?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hel, you should be OK in early March, we have even skied there in mid-April, but it was very hot, and slushy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hel, I would back up what Helen Beaumont, says but after mid March good conditions cannot be guarenteed.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Early March is probably quite a good time for snow in Sauze. The snow comes quite early (~Nov/Dec) melts away in January during the day bit overnight they can blow quite a lot 'cos it's col.
In February it is tropical and very busy but then there's often quite a bit of snow in March and even April but by April the base just isn't there.

Sauze is always a gamble but if you've got quite a few of you, in an emergency, 3V is 'just' through the Frejus tunnel (not cheap).

It's also a good night out and there are plenty of reasonable places to eat on the mtn (and in village).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi every,

I am also thinking of booking Sauze for Mid March 2007. From the sound of it snow should be alright? I'm a boarder so I dont mid a little bit slush.

My other option was soll in Austria around the same time, which would you go for?

Cheers,
Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome to snowHeads loffers snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am afraid I have never branched out as far as Austria.
We went to Livigno last year at the beginning of March and the snow was fantastic. Wicked snow park too!
Hoping the same for sauze next yesr - fingers crossed.
Wicked snow park too!

Hel x
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IN an emergency there's always Serre Chevalier, which is a bit closer, and no toll. It usually has better snow than Sauze.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
don't know if this is any help but i went to Sauze in early march 1993 and had 3-4 metres fall in our first 3 days and then brilliant sunshine for the next 2 weeks .. that was a magic trip

back then they were pretty slow about getting the pistes prepared & avalanche risk sorted after a big dump and on our last day we were still getting fresh powder as they had only just got round to re-opening some of the more out of the way lifts

was too busy to ski at the middle weekend with all the day trippers coming up from Turin so we went down to the Stadio del Alpi (?) to watch Juventus beat Napoli 4-3 ... the lead changed hand 4 times and David Platt scored the winner ... was a fine day off
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went to Sauze D'oulx in new year 2 years ago. The snow was terrible - my board got ripped to shreds by the rocks in the slopes!! That was quite early season though so i'd hope March would be better. The resort was great though, great nightlife and the chalet was excellent.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow in Sauze is notoriously unreliable. A late deal is the only way I would ever consider going back.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I went to Sauze over Xmas last year. Snow wasn't great but OK for a few days and then made trips and to Serre Chevalier & Claviere. The night-life was absolutely kicking!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As much as I like Sauze, I have to agree with skibandit. It's not a reliable enough if it's your only trip of the season unless you book last minute.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have to agree with others that Sauze as unrielable snow.

I also went two years ago at Christmas and if it wasn't for the dump of snow the day before we arrived then we would have been grass skiing.

26 degrees on New Years day sat in the sunshine was superb but does'nt do much for the snow.

Those following us the week after had no snow and none fell again until Feb that year.

I loved the place though and would go back again but only on a last minute deal.
latest report
Hi all,

I’ve been away this year to Méribel and les meuires, had great snow both times. But my partner is a teacher so we are restricted to term times. I want to surprise her and take her for one last trip but keep it on the cheap as meribel is rediculously expensive. A friend of mine suggested Sauze but I’m concerned about the snow, it would be first week in April. Anyone any any ideas on what to expect here at this time? Are there many alternatives around the resort if the snow isn’t great at Sauze? Apologies if I’m asking questions that have already been answered earlier in but I’ve had a beer or 7. Mick.
snow report
Hi again all,

Just read Last message. Maybe I’ve had more than 7!
I apologise if it came across that I thought Sauze was cheap, i don’t think that In fact the opposite, it’s just that a friend of mine who organises the jan hol for us always manages to find the best deals and he sent me a link to one which was in Sauze at Hotel Baita. Looks cracking! Think I’m gonna go for it but would appreciate some feedback on what the slopes might be like at that time (1st April for a week) cheers🍺🍺👍👍
snow conditions
I have been a couple of times in April - 2005, 2007 and 2009. The last 4 days of 2009 had wet snow falling which meant that the conditions were good fun and there was a tickle of off piste. I did ski back to the village on the first two days but they had to shut the run down Clotes as it was mush.
2005 and 2007 I remember less well - I think it was 2007 that was pretty patchy but we had a couple of centimetres to top up the icy morning conditions on some of the days.
Either way it hasn’t stopped me going back - there is just slightly less skiable area but heading over to Sestriere means you won’t get bored.
And yes it is cheaper than the 3 valleys but you will still have a good time
snow conditions
I was out for a couple of weeks in January and had great snow (as did virtually everywhere). I'll be there for another two weeks next January but this time I'm taking the car. The problem with sestriere and Montgenvre is the wind often closes the links but with a car, even if the snow is a bit dodgy in Sauze, it's a whole different ball game. You could always hire one out there.
ski holidays
Early April is pushing it for any resort without a glacier. Sauze gets the sun, in march last year we were sat in t-shirts on week 2 - but week one we had a foot of fresh and 3 days of powder. Given the early snow, the base should be good to early April, and assuming your' going for 'economy' over certainty, it's certainly worth a punt. In theory you can get to out higher to Sestriere, but the lift co seem to be economising on lifts, so quite a few lifts there are shut during the week, along with the usual suspects (Macrons) in Sauze. Still, when you can get a good coffee for 1.5eur, and prosecco for 3.5, on the slopes, what's not to like!
snow conditions
I’llgetdownsomehow wrote:

Just read Last message. Maybe I’ve had more than 7!
I apologise if it came across that I thought Sauze was cheap..

Sauze IS cheap - i'm there at the moment and it's gloriously cheap! For the first few days we had to keep double-checking bills because we thought they must have missed half the meals but no, just much cheaper (and generally better) than we're used to in France.
ski holidays
Yep 3 euros or less for happy hour beers, not to be sniffed at. Had a great day in Montgenevre today, they had more snow overnight, but beer prices 20 kms up the road are not the same.
snow report
javascript:emoticon('@I’llgetdownsomehow, ') I have stayed in the Hotel Baita, quite some time ago now.

It's a great little place, decent food and nice and quiet. Be aware that you will have a bit of an uphill trek to the lifts so worth checking out ski storage or at least the bus time table (when I was there you had to pay for the buses but like I say that was a long time ago). The village is nice and lively and closer to the hotel than the lifts.

As mentioned elsewhere, the weather could be doing anything, but at least there should be a good snow base this year. If it does end up being overly hot you can get round to Sestriere, which is a bit higher or even Montgenevre. Alternatively you could do what most of the locals seem to do and get up mid morning, do a couple of hours skiing, have a long lunch and then sunbathe all pm. If all else fails, Turin is not so far away for a bit of culture.
snow report
Morning Everyone, I have read through this thread and seen a number of people seem to live/ work there or are there on holiday at the moment.

I am flying out on the 18th March, I have never been 'Spring Skiing' before and was wondering what all you experienced bunch beleive the conditions will be like this year as the 'Beast from the East' and 'W**ker from the West' all seem to be having their own ideas!

Many thanks in advance Laughing
ski holidays
Not sure where it is in relation to your hotel but Eydallin sports gave me excellent and reasonably priced hire skis and is at the bottom of the Clotes piste. They will rent a ski locker -free if you book online with them- avoiding carrying in the morning and perfectly located at the end of the day to leave skis and have a beer or two nearby
latest report
I hired from the bottom of Clotes last year. You really couldn't be closer to the piste and lift. You don't get a locker as such, the owner shows you where to leave your skis and that's yours for the week. Absolutely no problems leaving my ski boots there overnight, or shoes during the day. Sauze is on a fairly steep hill so it was a godsend not having to wear ski boots around town.
The buses were not very well organised to be honest, certainly not as efficient as some of the french resorts, so we ended up walking most days.
I'm in Sestriere atm and the snow is probably the best i've ever had. No ice, no slush, just perfect.
snow report
Jhead91 wrote:
Morning Everyone, I have read through this thread and seen a number of people seem to live/ work there or are there on holiday at the moment.

I am flying out on the 18th March, I have never been 'Spring Skiing' before and was wondering what all you experienced bunch beleive the conditions will be like this year as the 'Beast from the East' and 'W**ker from the West' all seem to be having their own ideas!

Keep an eye on the temperatures jhead91. The snow and temps are perfect at the moment. Sun was out all day today but temp and wind kept the snow lovely. But it could get slushy on the lower slopes as temperatures increase. Its not going to disappear for weeks though. They are removing lorry loads of the stuff.
snow report
Jhead91 wrote:

Im flying out same day to Sestriere lol
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On ski hire I've been destinctly underwhelmed by the quality of the hire kit our group received. Old and well used is putting it lightly. Knackered and on its last legs is another.

Not sure any of the kit hired from Besson had clean edges, though not a major issue as we had a powder week. One of the ladies skis kept picking up foot long clumps of snow on one base suggesting it had been a while since it last saw some wax too.

Another hired via Alpine Resorts who, in addition to charging her more to book hire online than the shop's walk in price ended up with a pair of skis that started delaminating after two days.

About the only place I could recommend would be Faure Sport, tucked in the corner of Piazza Assietta. Hired a pair of powder skis from them for a couple of days and the skis were in very good condition. Even then they were 2015 skis.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy