Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Board for novice

Poster: A snowHead
Looking on e-bay, there's shed loads of cheap boards on offer, Puzzled which is exactly what I'm after. Any help on what size n shape would suit a 1 week boarder, not bothered about getting air (too old), just enjoy some basic riding.
I'm 38, 5'11"
Ta
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you have boots? They'd be my first piece of kit to get. Then worry about a board. Try on as many pairs as possible to get the best fit. Bear in mind what sort of bindings you may want to use as well - if you are going for the "step in" option then you'll have to buy specific boots for the type you want. Most boots tend to work well with Flows and all boots will work with the hundreds of types of straps out there.

As for type of board, don't get a beginners board as you'll "grow out" of it too quickly. Don't go for something to stiff either as you may find it difficult to progress. As to type of board, that's a huge question................there is so much out there.............I wouldn't go for one of the cheap boards on e-bay (the £30 - £40 new heli board or something from what I remember). I'd say avoid ebay and spend a bit more money, go to an indoor dome or dry slope and try a few boards and see what works for you. E-bay is good if you know what you want, but not if you don't.

What size feet are you? you may need a wide board if over a UK 10, but you can buy risers etc to combat this problem.

This calculator is good for working out the size of board you will need http://www.snowboardlengthcalculator.com/index.php As you can see it's also matters about your weight as well due to the flex you'll put into a board. Up to your chin is usually a decent rule of thumb.

In simple terms you want to look for a freeride board (not freestyle) - basically something that goes everywhere. If buying from a shop look to spend upto £200 for an beginners-intermediate board. http://www.blue-tomato.at/shop/frameset.asp?LanguageID=2 is good place to see what is on offer from a big retailer.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What weight are you Sarge?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dan wrote:
Do you have boots? They'd be my first piece of kit to get. Then worry about a board. Try on as many pairs as possible to get the best fit. Bear in mind what sort of bindings you may want to use as well - if you are going for the "step in" option then you'll have to buy specific boots for the type you want. Most boots tend to work well with Flows and all boots will work with the hundreds of types of straps out there.

I agree. First purchase I made was boots, mainly because my feet are size 12 and it's difficult to find a decent pair of 12s in hire shops. However even if I had more normal sized feet it would still have been the first thing I'd have bought. Boots first then build everything around them. Most board/binding combos will work well, but you'll be in trouble with an ill-fitting pair of boots.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info. I'll trawl around a few shops and see what feels best. Also find out what's the difference between the various binding types.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sarge, why not come up to Milton Keynes this saturday evening and meet a load of snowheads, try a few boards - i've got a spare you could borrow as well.............

as for the bindings issues - steps in's, FLOWs & Straps are your basic options. I'll try and dig out an article i found for Ian Hopkinson last year on the (ssshhhh) SCGB forum that showed the difference. Just be wary of anyone singing the praises of one type and slating any other as most people are making a judgement on hearsay. I've tried steps ins, straps and flows. I've got go but i'll dig out the article and post later.

but definately get boots first and don't get boots off ebay!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dan,
Great offer, but stuck on an oil rig. As for buying stuff, I wouldn't buy boots off e-bay. I may get a board though - last winter, there was enough snow in N Wales to have a go, but I'd only do that with a cheap 2nd hand board
I used step ins a couple of years ago, then last season (and at snowdome) had the strap ins. I prefer the step ins for ease of use, especially when having to plod along a "road" because I cannot keep enough speed up yet.
A link to info on binding types would be handy.
Any idea if you can swap and change boards at the SD to see what suits ?
Cheers
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sarge, I believe you can try a range of boards from the shop outside, ring up and ask. Still searching for the link - Ian, any idea of what it was? You may also be able to try bindings as well - you'll need a few hours to do this justice though!

I can see another Flows convert coming my way Wink have a look at www.FLOW.com for in my view is my prefered type of binding. Ok they used to have some problems, but i haven't had any.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dan, I'll go have a rummage around SCGB - I wanted to look at it again myself...I couldn't remember whether we talked about it here or there Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Found it!, its on the "Turning to the Darkside" thread started 3rd Feb.

All of this is copyright Dan Hacking, but for your viewing convenience I've edited a few posts into one and replaced some of the picture links, which were broken:
First of all this article gives a nice summary of (1)straps, (2) Flow bindings and (3)Step – ins. The plate bindings at the bottom of this page are for ski boots that you wear on an alpine board.
For step in bindings you need to get matching boots, which is not the case for straps or Flows. The main step-in types are:
1. BURTON SI that basically clip into a small cavity in the side of the boot.
2. SWITCH which the boots have bars across the side which clip in.
3.CLICKER the boots have a clip under the boot at the toe and the heel ends of the boot, very much like bicycle shoes. Put the boot in then flick down the bar in the picture.

Flows are an exclusive product of Flow International. The general idea with Flows is that they are extremely comfortable due having one large strap spreading the force over a wider area rather than having 2 straps over the front. A lot of people find that they end up cutting the blood supply off to their toes to get the straps as tight as needed.

The best benefit is also that they are very quick to get on - you get in through the back. You first set up the binding by setting the large strap in the right position for your boot you then never have to adjust (hopefully) it again, then when you go to put them on all you do is unclick the back, and the highback comes down, you then slide the boot in and clip the highback back up again..............no need to sit at the top of the lift doing straps up every time.

They can be classed as step-ins i guess, but the step ins shown above can get clogged with snow/ice which needs clearing before the system will engage/bind fully.
Dan finishes by saying
Quote:

I've never tried FLOWs but I have just bought them and in the living room they are very comfy, basically like slippers!

How did the Flows work out then, Dan?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers Mr H!

That first article makes more sense than the waffle i've written above.

Flows - can't sing their praises enough! Really comfy and very responsive. From what I've heard they had some problems a few years ago with bit and pieces going wrong but i've had no problems at all. Ok they are a bit heavy but it's tiny in comparison to a me. I'm not into doing jumps and spins etc so there may be a weakness there??? but in powder and freeriding they work really well, no more cold bum ratcheting up the straps. They are also quick to put on but that's not really any reason for buying them as it saves you 5-20 seconds which is meaningless.

And my toes have a nice blood supply now - although to combat this problem a lot of strap manufacturers are going more into a boot cap strap - errrr in simple terms, rather than the strap going over your toes, it goes over the front of the boot so it pull your boot down and into the binding.

ps the comment about my copyright - ignore it, there's no proof i wrote that rubbish Wink rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I noticed our instructor at Castleford was pulling his straps over the end of his boots rather than across the top - sounds like a DIY version of what you talk about.

I got a bit sick of doing my straps up; I wasn't having much luck with the rope tow and found it quicker to take the board off, walk up the nursery slope then put the board back on then to let the tow have it's wicked way with me rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ian Hopkinson, when is your next lesson? If you ask for some FLOW bindings or Step Ins they may be able to provide them - much less back breaking!

And persist with the tow, you'll get there in the end. Although the walking up and down must be very good for a cardio work out.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dan, not quite sure yet, having decided that ar$se protection wouldn't be required for the first lesson I still have a coccyx which twinges every so often! Hopefully we'll give it another go over the summer.

Am I right in thinking that boot fitting for a snowboard is a rather more 'flexible' experience than for ski boots? I.e. you don't get to see all the different pretty boots and then the bloke in the shop says "Right, these are the only ones that'll fit you!"
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ian Hopkinson, No it's the same with snowboard boots as for ski boots, but generally the "fitters" aren't as experienced/trained as ski boot fitters. It's up to you to try on as many as possible.

Get the wrong boots and you may not try again and you'll have a great loss in control (you don't want your heels moving around much, especially lifting out when using your toe turns. A lot of people i know have been put off trying boarding again due to the pain from ill fitting boots and rubbing of shins. The primary cause is rental boots and you can't really blame them as they have to fit more than one pair of feet so they are not going to fit anyone well, especially after a few wears.

I've got quite narrow long feet and there were only 2 boots that fitted well out of the 30 on display. I went for a heat moudable (using my body heat) inner (removable) liner so after about 15 minutes my feet fit perfectly.

I think snowboard boots are cheaper than ski boots generally. You'll find a good pair around the £140 mark.
latest report
Ian, Dan
Thanks for the info. Great stuff.
snow report
The "abc-of-snowboarding.com" was very useful, with all kinds of info I wasn't aware of. One point though, what is Sidecut Puzzled The thickness ?
ski holidays
Hi Sarge, sidecut radius refers to the radius of the hypothetical circle that you would get if you extended the arc like shape that forms the side of a snowboard into a full circle (of course, its not quite as simple as that as the sidecut radius usually varies along the length of the board). In simple terms, the smaller the number, the smaller the turning circle of the board when set on edge (carving).

For most people the sidecut radius will not be a big factor in choosing a board as it will generally be in proportion to other more important features: riding style (freeride/freestyle), stiffness and length. Its of most interest to carvers (see this Bomberonline article for more info).

FWIW I wrote an article about choosing a board a while ago which may also be of interest.
snow report
playdreamer, great article! says it all basically!
snow conditions
Yes, a great article.
I think I'll go for soft or hybrid boots, step in or flows and a relatively stiff freeride board. At last I'm reducing the option list.
I like the idea of big air, the park and pipes, but being a bit of an old knacker, I think I'll be sticking to some gentle carving.

Constantly amazed by the fantastic help offered on Snowheads. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy