Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A new lease of life for the bucket lift?

Poster: A snowHead
The Canadian resort of Blue Mountain will probably hate me for using the term, but its new open-air gondola looks remarkably like the near-extinct bucket lifts of the Alps (last one I saw was in Alpe d'Huez, and there used to be one at Courchevel 1300 if memory serves me right).

As I understand it, the open-air cabins replace chairs or enclosed gondolas (not sure which) on an existing ski lift for summer use. An interesting idea.

By the way, if it has seats it's not a classic bucket lift!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, There are bucket lifts just like that at Tremblant to get you from the carpark to the main lifts. I know the one at Alpe d'Huez which looks so antiquated in comparison with the rest of the lift system. Flaine still has one which you have to race after and jump up on, but once you get going it seems to be soooo sloooowwwwww. They officially call it the "yoghurt pots" and that's what the ESI ski school tell you to meet for private lessons! Flaine also officially term one of their gondolas "the egg". Someone has a sense of humour I suppose.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Menuires has a / some "yoghurt pot" lift(s)...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suppose it will be cooler than a perspex bubble and easier to take photographs without the 'haze' of 'glass' crazed by ski tips, boards, finger prints, graffiti and whatever. Aren't there still 'yoghurt pots' lifts somewhere in France ? Alpe d'Huez I think ?????

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 23-06-04 9:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A few of the smaller resorts too, such as Val d'Allos in the southern French Alps...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Take a pair of skis (which have built-in shovels, remember) in one, and you've got a bucket-and-spade lift.

That's my joke output for the day.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is still a bucket lift in Courchevel 1850, but I have never seen it in use!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, can you guarantee us there will be no more of what you call "jokes" today? snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat, yes, and I can offer you a Dixons 3-year extended guarantee for a stupid amount of money if you'd like total peace of mind.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
By the way, this is also a bucket lift, apparently.

Not surprisingly, because it looks like a lot of fun, it's "SOLD".
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ideal for those small, back-garden ski jumps.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That's a Cherry Picker. Here's a bucket lift
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How do you know it's not full of cherries?

Also, you'll concede that my (actually not mine, it's been sold to someone else) bucket lift goes a bit higher than the average cherry tree.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ther are yoghurt pots at flaine and at Aple d'Huez in France, and Panorama in Canad also has one, although there it;'s only for getting from the carpark to the base of the slopes and doesn;t serve any slkiing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Also one at The Canyons in Utah. It really does make sense for bike access.
latest report
Chris Reed, David Goldsmith, we learnt to ski in Flaine, it was hilarious trying to run onto the 'yogurt pots' in ski boots, carrying skis. etc. Hurling yourself on was exhausting. Most of our group managed to fall .
snow report
Is this how Ski yoghurts got their name?

What foodstuff should be branded 'Snowboard'? [willful thread diversion]
ski holidays
Cadbury's Chocolate Fingers? (in honour of the pinky that went astray in Aspen...)
I have ridden a bucket lift here:
http://mcecom.intrawest.com/photosMain.aspx (3rd shot across, top row)
- except in the North American ski industry it's now known as a "cabriolet".
And I also remember PG's "telebenne" (correct French name?) in Foux d'Allos (didn't know it was still there).
ski holidays
In Alpe d'Huez they 'lovingly' refer to their's as the 'Lobster Pots' - much quicker (& warmer) to walk up/ski down.
latest report
Martin Bell wrote:
And I also remember PG's "telebenne" (correct French name?) in Foux d'Allos (didn't know it was still there).

Still there last year, though I wish I had a photo, they're beginning to look so prehistoric that even the cash-strapped Allos resort will have to replace them one day soon.
ski holidays
Martin Bell, Yes the one at Tremblant is called a cabriolet too. Sounds so much more snazzy than a bucket lift don't you think?
ski holidays
Sounds better than 'lidless dustbin' lift, too.
snow report
I'm not so sure. It sounds a bit 80s poseurish, to me.
snow conditions
Reminds me of the old joke - "What do you call a Skoda Cabriolet ?"

A skip. ( = dumpster in US )
snow report
Yes, the opne inf FLaine is called the Telebenne too.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy