Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry Slope Ski Prep

Poster: A snowHead
I recently took delivery of a pair of ex-rentals to use on dry slopes. They came serviced and ready for the snow, so I'm assuming that they will need some appropriate attention before they're suitable for their intended use.

Any recommendations? Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mark Hunter,

You've got them then Mark. I still haven't used mine yet so I'm also interested in the same info.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mark, assuming they're waxed and the edges are sharpened then, they're ready to go. You have to watch how they perform on a dry slope, I'm assuming Dendix. You could find that the edges will burn out, you see a distinct line about 1/2 inch wide where the edge has heated. There are some ways to alleviate this, spraying with a silicone based wax polish aka Mr Sheen or one of the black colour-back silicone motor polishes will help, but these tend to wear off very quickly - 1 run is typical. Using a cold wax can help, but You'll have to sharpen the edges frequently. My own advice would be to never use your own skis on Dendix or similar surfaces.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks David The skis were purchased (£75) for the sole purpose of dry slope skiing, so if I only get a year out of them it's no big deal. On an on-going basis then, I take it that regular waxing is necessary. Sorry if this appears a little obvious, but I've no experience in this area at all and it's a bit of a learning curve.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It'll help you get used to servicing your skis that's for sure. Regular waxing and checking the base, see my earlier comment re the edges. It helps if the slope has a sprinkler system but I don't think too many have nowadays.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you want to use them on dry slope, the way i find works best is first zardox the skis. then under foot on each ski apply swix ch3 powder (or toko cold powder) Iron this in. then scape, and re iron in. then scrape then more zardox. then wax in. then melt swix ch4 (or ch6 if you a bit lighter) and iron in. scrape and iron as many times as you can be bothered to do. then brush the flakey bits of wax off, but leaving it up scrape This is what i do on my training skis and it last for quite a few runs down chatham. a good way to look after them is not do a huge arc at the bottom of the slope to get over to the lift
finish at the bottom then slide over. spaying with mr sheen etc is not worth it and is quite an effort to apply. the ch4 and 3 are about the hardest waxs and runs a lot quicker. the wax the skis will be pre waxed will be really really soft so will lot last for long and the skis will feel sticky. another thing to try is applying a special 'dry' mat wax called evola to your skis before you apply the ch4 and 3.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi ringaminga, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
it all depends on what slope your likely to be skiing at. JNA slopes matting is slightly differnet to what is at other slopes around the country as it is missing a compound in the plastic and this seems to make it slightly stickier. but there new matting the perma snow stuff is a reverse of this and isnt as wearing on the ski. where u likely to be skiing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hello to everyone. ive just been a lurker before, but plastic skiing is my thing so thought would help
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ringaminga, have you used any of the graphite waxes like LFG4? Please tell more about evola.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think he's misread the labels, it's Vola not Evola. I'm not aware there's much too special about them, I use Vola primarily because they're local to me and it's in all the stores. Not having any need for a dry mat wax I'd know nothing about that product line though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the website for evola is www.mb-europe.com and is calle artificial spole wax. not quite sure of the stuff in it. When i worked at slush and rubble we used to sell it and was quite popular, but got my last batch from bartletts. i iron it in, then scrape, and brush it. it a really shiny finish and runs really good. for more endurance i mix with ch4. Dont use graphite waxs, but sometime i cork graphite powder into the base with some wax and also for racing if it not wet, i brush the powder onto the base to give a bit more go out of the gate. Another thing people are tending to but on the bottom of their skis at the moment is wire pulling lubricant which comes in a multitude of a differnet colours and smearing of the base really speeds up the skiing for a run or two. An idea to try if the slope hasnt already done so it to get a door mat then take it to the slope with you and cover in a sloppy parafine wax that is avaliable in buckets and tubes from data. www.datawax.com
then just run your skis over it everytime you go from the top.
I do recomend zardoxing your skis with wax, it cuts down on base burn. also doing you edges at 90^0 seems to stop them from getting blunt as quick.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ringaminga wrote:
the website for evola is www.mb-europe.com and is calle artificial spole wax. not quite sure of the stuff in it.

Nope, that's definitely not Evola it's Vola the website is here..
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
it the main website for it
if you look at thye bottom there a link for evola at the bottom
it the main company for it and it has it on the packaging for the wax
every whwere i buy it is evola like it is on the website
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sorry it vola wax, looking at the packaging, but in the slush and rubble book it was evola and the racers i know that use it refer to it as evola wax. but that def the website
it reference number is v8030
ski holidays
loooking on the website, it acyually has no record of it, but what i have ib front of me is the packaging and it says the ref and that it a specific dry slope wax. it does wprk well for a couple long runs of racing of training with ch4
ski holidays
ringaminga wrote:
loooking on the website, it acyually has no record of it, but what i have ib front of me is the packaging and it says the ref and that it a specific dry slope wax. it does wprk well for a couple long runs of racing of training with ch4

I thought it was called Evola for years as well, I'm not sure when I noticed it was really Vola. I'm not surprised their site doesn't have the product you're talking about, I noticed it doesn't have the Vola waxes I use either Very Happy
ski holidays
I do wonder about the wax market. I suffer from information overload whenever I start looking at all the brands and varieties, fluor accelerators, etc. I spend a fortune on the stuff, and that's with club discount, and buying bulk. There must be some pretty huge margins in it, seeing as you can get a big reduction from the Vola agent, who I suppose is on a pretty big commission himself.
ski holidays
PG, you buy bulk ? Very Happy you can guess where I'm heading here.......
snow report
Puzzled No idea Madeye-Smiley

Bought a ton of the stuff at the start of last year via our old club in Gap (who are tied up with Vola). Still managed to get through most of it. Haven't worked out whether I'd get a better deal carrying on with the old arrangement through Hannah's former trainer, or seeing what the options are at Les Arcs (who use several brands).

Either way, when I get some prices, if you're interested.... !
snow report
PG, I'm interested, there's a couple of mail order places I've found that have a a good product range and good prices but, as you say, it doesn't last long.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the advice, and welcome ringaminga - in answer to your earlier question, John Nike in Bracknell and possibly High Wycombe. Looks like shopping trip beckons to get the necessary gear.
snow report
well if you in that area i recommend going to bartletts at the wycombe slope or their ski emporium in hillingdon, which is well worth a visit. they sell ch4 in bulk boxs of 900grams at a good price and this wax will last for a good 6 months. I take it you have skied at both the slopes before. wycombe is good as even though its long the trees around it provide good shade, plus the sprinklers are good. bracknell is an ok slope, although like all jna slopes u can feel it burning a little more from about half way down
snow report
Again, many thanks ringaminga. So far I've only been to Bracknell, but am keen to get cracking on the new (ish) skis. As a guide, how frequently would you recommend waxing the skis?
snow conditions
before u use the skis, give them a good cycle of cycles of waxing and scraping with the waxes you choose to use. then wax them before everytime you go. just iron the ch4 on and leave it
your find that you get patches of ch4 at the tip n tail after you have had a couple of runs. you can then have a re wax halfway during the session or run straight the way through then when u finish just dump another load of wa on so it ready next time u use them. at the moment for a two hour training session, im rewaxing after about a hour, and touching the edges up with a finishing stone. but if you cant feel the skis getting sticky/smelly, then u dont need to bother. remember to use zardox before waxing and also mix in other waxes like ch3 and evola to give a bit more protection round the edges/extra speed. you have to have an experiment with what u use. i also try a lot of different additional things on the bases, but most of the time just waxing your skis properly will be best unless you looking for the ultimate start in a race. everything from ky jelly, shaving foam, wire pulling lubricant. you name it, it been tried
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy