Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to use a rope tow (1961 guidance)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I think that this link probably gives a good reason why drags are used on glaciers instead of chairs (normally or up 'til now). Can't think why it didn't occur to me (apart from my stupidity, of course).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The fastest surface pomas approach speeds of 4m per second which isn't much slower than a detachable quad. I think capacity is somewhere in the region of 1200 skiers per hour.

In comparison, the fastest T bars run up to only 2.4m per second. So an efficiently run fast double Poma wouldn't have a capacity significantly lower than a detachable quad.

Back on thread however the Kiwis reckon that some of their rope tows are amongst the fastest surface lifts in existence. Anyone ridden them ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I skied on a rope tow for one season until I was able to pass a proficiency test qualifying me to use the T-bar. Later we got a poma (or button, detachable-type) to access new gladed terrain.

Detachable chairlifts are faster than fixed-grip chairs because the cable moves faster. A feeder cable moves the chair through the loading area. Detachable poma clamps onto the cable immediately jerking the skier to full speed rapidly. The fixed-grip pomas have a long retractable cable that may ease the transition from standing better than the spring in the detachable type. Therefore enabling use of higher cable speed? The skiers will be spaced further apart if the lift is faster.

Surface lifts are not about speed though. Gets you uphill or (across the base of a hill) easier than walking... Thats good
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Once or twice a year however, the entire mast construction has to be shifted by means of an excavator.
That's a bit hectic!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not such an old timer, but old enough not to want to use them! The worst part of the Porte du Soleil circuit having to cross the village of Morgin to get to Chatel have to take skis off cross a road and then put them on for a 50m pull on a rope and off with the skis again!! 150m walk to next lift.

Cant stand the rope lifts. The beauty of skiings is that gravity is meant to do all the work for you Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, Quite right about the T bar at La Grave - an amazing cat's cradle of cables is attached to the cliff wall behind, there are pylons in the middle and at the top and bottom. The engineer responsible should have won a Nobel Prize.

Do any of you remember the old fixed rope T bar from Inner Wengen to Allmend before they put in the chair? That was unbelievable. You took the hook from the man, waited until the cable took up the slack and ......... wallop, you were off. At the top you handed the hook to the bloke there who hung it up on the cable for it's return journey. Sometimes they fell off; the track was about 2m wide and the forest on both sides was very thick. Getting back to the bottom after falling foul of a dragging hook was a lot of fun! Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
God easiski, that must have been a long time ago, that lift has been a chair for over 30 years, infact this year they are replacing it with a 4 person lift due to open next season
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
D G Orf, I started ski-ing in Wengen in 1955, and I can vividly remeber that lift (and falling off it) when I was a DHO trainee (oops, the cat's out of the bag) between the ages of 12 and 16, but I can't remember exactly which year they changed it - only that we all heaved a huge sigh of relief! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmm my mother started there in 1954 and my father before then unfortunately I don't remember that particular drag lift though I do remember the Lauberhorn and Mannlichen Drag lifts, both of which I'm happy to say have been transformed into chair lifts, mind you I did once have to be wound down the Innerwengen lift due to a power faliur then having to walk back to wengen in ski boots, not something I'd reccomend Embarassed
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy