Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap Skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Could anybody please tell me of any good cheap (or good value) skiing holiday operators / websites? Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Vicky, where were you thinking of going?

Oh, and WELCOME! Now, how did you hear of this place Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Vicky, cheap skiing-no such thing, welcome to a life of poverty and large credit card bills. Seriously though, some of us pride ourselves on getting those holidays cheap. The only thing you can't do too much about are the lift passes and ski hire. I ususally book a cheap flight (midweek if possible) and in FRance at least use independent hotels and apartments. www.logis-de-france.fr www.uptoyou.com and for Whistler we have booked accomodation from www.allura-direct.com. Hope this helps. I'm sure the rest of us will have some more suggestions. Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depending on the level of your skiing in Europe avoid the large French resorts that attract Brits/Dutch or Germans - there are (literally) hundreds of small ski stations in France that can offer good skiing and never reach the Cristal brochure that you will find cheap accom in. Ferry and Drive can be cheaper but research is required. After all this is said my best deal ever was been found on Teletext (millenium, New Year, 10 days Austria, record snow £340 - perfect). Welcome to Snowheads Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
www.iglu.com - look out for the last minute deals if you want "cheap".

If you actually want cheap then head to Bulgaria but don't expect too much and you wont get let down. Don't believe the "cheap" tag associated with Andorra, it's only slightly cheaper than resorts elsewhere.

Best value tends to be a half board type of holiday. Try arranging it yourself, you may find it a bit more difficult to hotels willing to do anything other than Sunday to Sunday (or Saturday to Saturday), but if you are hot on when the flights come out from EasyJet and Ryan Air then you can get a very cheap flight. I've not found too much difference between arranging it myself and going to Iglu or someone similar as you have to add in other things like transfers and your time spent arranging it etc.

Oh welcome by the way!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Vicky, another consideration is are you going solo or flying united ? Operators tend to whack ridiculous single room supplements on most places and even DIY you may have troubles except in very smallest hotels or chalets.
I've used Inghams last two seasons, hotel on HB with free evening wine and no single supplement. I was happy with the deal but it sure wasn't rock bottom. Crystal or Neilsons Club Hotels or Club Chalets keep the accommodation element of the total lower and often throw in unlimited standard booze so the overall cost can be attractive if you like a drop or two.
Operator's web sites frankly can be a bit of a pain designed mainly to make bookings and not ideal for browsing. The Inghams link I've given is about the best for general info about resorts etc. If you are going the package route, grab some brochures from a travel agent. Much easier for the early stages of planning. But if you really want lowest possible costs, DIY will usually beat all but some very rare late availability bargains.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

If you actually want cheap then head to Bulgaria but don't expect too much and you wont get let down.

Hi Vicky

Bulgaria is usually very economical and can I suppose be included within the 'Cheap' category, (and more so if booked independently instead of through tour operators who pile on their percentage). And it doesnt always follow that if you pay less you must expect poor service, our accommodation is four star at 2 star prices. Bansko (Bulgaria) has surpassed most peoples expectations, and more than half of all tourists that visit will book to return (which I think speaks volumes). A typical 3 course evening meal with wine & or beer usually adds up to about £6.00 per head. Food here is very pallatable and is always freshly cooked.

The ski area has just undergone extensive development with new pistes having been cut and a brand new Austrian gondola installed along with 3 new high speed chairlifts. For this summer the plan is to install another chairlift & create a halfpipe.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Vicky, skiing on the cheap is possible, however it does take a bit of effort, the first way is by using independant travel as described above, the other is last minute deals. You can get there almost any time of the year except new year. I booked a week in Mayrhofen at easter with Nielson for 4 for £230 each and have just booked another week for summer skiing in Hintertux in July with Thomson Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Vicky, If you want to go on a package then there's nothing to beat patience....plan which week you want to go, book the time off work then wait, wait, wait till the very last minute book. We've had great deals this way...the very best this year was £349 to Alpe D'Huez including food, lift pass, ski & boot hire, and an unlimited free bar! But in previous years we've managed to get similar deals for around the £250 mark. Check out the internet sites like www.iglu.com or www.teletext.co.uk but don't forget to check out all the smaller tour operators, we've got our best deals from them rather than the big names. Have a look at www.skitopia.com www.topstravel.co.uk www.skifrance.co.uk (u can get a discount from these with snowHeads) these can all turn up trumps with really good last minute deals. It takes a lot of time to search out the best deals but it can be done....and don't forget most of the big operators now give a discount for online booking so you can save a little bit more even on the offer prices!

If you want to DIY then follow the advice above and book a cheapie flight early - Easyjet normally release theirs in October.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Vicky, Welcome to Snowheads!
A bit of a plug, as its my own business, but have a look at
www.plan-peisey-accommodation.co.uk as we do an accommodation service in Paradiski, but we don't charge any commission, so you get the basic rental rate (ie, without the x% that most tour operators add!

We're based in Plan Peisey, part of Paradiski, so you'd have a huge ski area to play with!

To give you an example, a 4 person apartment (ie, advertised in french terms as 6 people, but really suited to 4!), 200m from the slopes would be around 300-400 euros for a week (depending on high/low season).
You would have to sort your own travel out, but you can get the train to Bourg-Saint-Maurice and a 20euro taxi to the resort. You probably know about cheap flights, so I won't bore you about that.

IMHO it gives you the same sort of skiing you can get in Val D'Isere, 3 Valleys etc, at half the price!

Please feel free to email me will@plan-peisey-accommodation.co.uk if you want to discuss further.

cheers
Will.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Vicky, thats 300-400 euros for the apartment, not per person, by the way!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Vivky - don't know where you are, but GlobeSpan are launching cheap flights from Scotland to Geneva on 6th July - £29 - check out www.flyglobespan.com. I think that they are doing holidays as well but no idea how much they are
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheap Skiing = CONTRADICTION IN TERMS rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Igluski is advertising a chalet in St.Anton for 10pound per person - and the only reason I've put it here and not booked it myself is because I can't make the dates (Mar 5th on)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
try UCPA , a French, non-profit making sports organisation (http://www.ucpa.co.uk)
They will do a full board package in February in major resorts for 340-400 Euros , everything except transort, included.

That price includes youth hostel style shared rooms, 3 full meals, tutition, equipment and lift pass. Very good for groups & singles as party size does not matter.

An option for cheap coach or train travel is also offered.

Note the advertises packages start on sunday morning, but you can often arrive on Saturday, by request.
I've used them for years for a cheap warmup trip.
ski holidays
greedy, I completely agree - UCPA are fantastic, and a complete bargain. Though if you don't speak french it's best if you go with a group. Many of their centres (throughout the French Alps) do have large parties of Scandanavians so you get to have lessons in english, but otherwise it can be tough
ski holidays
Bulgaria and Slovenia are the cheapest places to go skiing...great for beginners but more experienced people will get bored..where else can you get a weeks lift pass for £30?!!!
snow conditions
Hi, here are some more clues about bansko Bulgaria as well.
Accommodatiom from 12EUR and above in a nice family hotel.
A bottle of beer in a shop 50cents, a bottle of good Bulgarian wine 2EUR and above.
ski pass around 140EUR per week.
and lots of good skiing from December to end of April
www.banskotravel.com
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy