Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Intensive Ski Instructor Courses

el deano
el deano
Hi,

Over the past few months, I have been researching and contacting a few companies who offer comprehensive Ski Instructor Courses. I am in the situation where I think I can turn my dream of training to become a Ski Instructor a reality..however I have some questions...

thought id post a few on here, to see what feedback I get..

1. Where is the best place to train?

Canada, Europe/France, U.S.A, etc..

2. Which qualification to attain?

BASI courses seem pretty good, offering experience working in ski schools and even have a pre-assesement to the course, but do not offer courses in Canada.

Where as other companies who offer Canadian Instructor Qualifications do not have a pre-assesement course, neither do they offer ski school experience...

I see the ski school experience as a big plus side to the course, as well as the pre-assesment, as to spend 6k I would want to know before hand if I was at the correct standard to go on and be successfull!

Anyone else have any opinons, or past experience of Ski Instructor courses?

thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From what I've read previously, Canadian qualifications are a tad eaier to attain and thus are not quite as highyl regarded until you start to get higher within the classification syste,

hope that helps, and apologiesif I'm wrong!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi el deano, welcome to Snowheads snowHead

There has been a lot of discussion about this on www.goneboarding.co.uk and www.adrenalintrip.net/forums/viewforum.php?siteid=1&topicdays=45&forum=1&54050. You can search those forums for some useful advice. There's lots of info about which ones are transferrable and can be used in different countries, costs, best places to do them from people who have recently gone through this process etc etc. I'm sure lots of useful advice will appear here as well.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
First of all a caveat - I know nothing. Seriously, I'm not qualified to really give an opinion, so I shall just ask some questions that may help others (with more knowledge and experience) better answer your questions:

1) Do you actually want to instruct? Which qualification is best can depend on whether you want to teach or just have the qualification as a means of proving to yourself you can do it (in which case, you must be very well off!!!)
2) Assuming you want to teach, whereabouts? Some resorts in some countries (Switzerland) may offer to take you on as an apprentice while you learn, in which case you actually get paid for the privilege! Others (such as France) have very tough requirements and you will not be allowed to teach until you have reached this very high level - requiring you to obviously fund it yourself
3) Do you speak any foreign languages / have any desire to learn? Again, some countries have strict requirements on your ability to speak in their native tongue before you can qualify
4) What level do you want to teach? Again, some countries will allow you to teach beginners with a lesser qualification than that required to teach more advanced skiers

Anyway, welcome to the site, and great first post!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
el deano, try looking into http://www.rookieacademy.com/rookieacademy/rookieusa/html/home.html
at Keystone (BASI 2 and PSIA 2 in 10 weeks).
snow conditions
 el deano
el deano
thanks for info all!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I too am very interested in one of these courses and have been eyeing up the International Academy (http://www.theinternationalacademy.com/). This year in Lake Louise I cornered several people involved to get the low down.

2 mature students (30 plus) were just doing 7 weeks (level 1, which allows you to teach children and absolute beginners). They said they didn't feel left out even though they were about the oldest on the course.

2 girls of about 18/19 on a gap year. One of whom had only skiied 2 weeks previously and I watched her ski, not bad indeed, but then they're being coached 5 hours a day by level 4 instructors! Both these girls thought they would pass Level I, but the less experienced doubted she would pass level II (12 weeks). level II allows you to teach intermediate adults including carving and mogul skills.

I also cornered Genevieve who is the co-ordinator for the IA for the Lake Louise area. She's been there for 5 years now and is originally from Quebec. She says that everything is taken care of and for example it's quite common for more "mature" people to want their own bedrooms and this can be arranged.

I'm planning to take this course (with a view to level II qualification) I Spring 2006, it's about 7.5k so I have to learn to stop spunking money on girly things... Very Happy I'm not sure I want to make a career out of teaching, the course for me is not just about the qualification but also the intense improvement for my own skiing and also there is an emphasis in Canada of "personal confidence" type stuff - and I'd love a piece of that North American self-confidence! I will probably work one season to put it all into practice, but it's more of a personal challenge to me in the same way that some choose to climb everest.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have spoken to friends in the Wengen Swiss Ski School and they have in the past taken on reasonably good skiers and boarders early in the season, initially as apprentice instructors and gradually upping the level to which they teach, the good thing about this method is that you get paid even as an apprentice plus they often help sort out accomodation, work permits and so on, I'm not sure however as to what if any qualifications you could get that way, however their staff have in the past included a number of very highly trained and qualified staff. I am not sure how many resorts would do this however it could save you a lot of money Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It might be worth looking at www.nonstopski.com where you'll also find info on getting a job later etc. This operation is located in Fernie, Canada but run by a UK based company. They routinly teach to CSIA level 1 and often 2 I think that you would need at least level 2 (4 being the highest in the CSIA) to guarantee a job somewhere else (apart from France of course where you would probably also need to be French !!!)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy