Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many skiers and boarders are there in Britain?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Here are two rather different figures, from organisations professionally involved in our sliding pastimes:

"1.5 million of you the British public visit the mountains to ski & board each year. You spend over 1 billion pounds doing this." That's from the home page of Snow Awards, who are organising industry awards later this year (remember that snowHeads is a nominee.)

But, from the major tour operator Thomson, a friend of mine has found a figure of 1,011,000 from winter 2002/3. Thomson have been doing market research on this for quite a while, and I'm looking forward to seeing some of their raw data shortly.

Presumably some estimation is used in working out any figures like these, because how does one know who's off skiing or boarding every year? Of course you can add up all the package hols sold (but even here, companies can be secretive), but how do you know if an airline passenger is going skiing, or a cross-channel car is carrying boarders (especially if they're renting kit!).

Does anyone have any insights into these things, or any other figures they can quote?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The French Tourist Board says there were 921,000 skiers in the UK in 2000/2001, 335,000 holidayed in France. So Thomson sound a bit more reasonable.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But what about skiers taking mutiple holidays? I would guess the French see them as separate skiers.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I understood that skier visits passed the million mark for the first time last season.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From the Times last October a statement in para 1 that Brit skiing holidays now > 1M. Very close to the Thomson figure so they could be quoting the same source data.
Chalets ~ 250,000. Some other interesting %age increases in the article.

And a forecast that the linked Les Arcs and La Plagne Paradiski area would sell would sell 4.5 M lift passes. That statistic seems incredibly high to me. Something like 225,000 a week through the season if they were all weekly passes (I know some would be day passes) Any idea what the truth is PG ?
Do Les Arcs and La Plagne really cope with something like 100,000 each on the slopes at busy times ? I've only been to LP and it's never seemed that crowded. Fortunately. Is this a case of lies, damned lies and statistics ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One pretty reliable count on the number of holidays would be from resort accommodation room nights records but is that actually collated anywhere and broken back into nationalities ? Not every country is strict on registering and reporting guests to the authorities. I'd guess people like Intrawest planning new investments must do the research thoroughly before proceeding. I wonder how ......... Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy