Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How New Zealand skiing works

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
One unusual aspect of New Zealand skiing is the many clubs which operate snowfields. They not only run the lifts, they provide simple accommodation where everyone chips in to run the places. It all adds up to affordable skiing tailored to the ski community, in a place which faces its own challenges - one of which is volcanic eruptions!

It all sounds very friendly and informal, as this interesting article from today's New Zealand Herald explains.

Do we have any Kiwi Snowheads, or anyone who's joined a NZ ski club or used its facilities?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, here's my experience from long ago - it picks up what I wrote earlier this year in the SCGB forum.

I first skied near Arthur's Pass in the 60s, with a school party. Had a great couple of weeks. Wooden skis. Hired ordinary worker's boots, with grooves gouged in the heels for the bindings. Single rope tow - with little clips tied to your belt. You flicked the clip over the rope, clutching the 2 halves together, and up you went - or didn't if you were a beginner. You fell over.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
P.S. I wouldn't want to imply that most NZ skiing is run as above. Quite a number of the ski areas are run commercially. Maybe one thing to explore here is the split between club and commercial operations. The article points out some concern among clubs that their membership numbers are declining.

New Zealand is, of course, a country of very low population compared to Europe or the US. So its ability to realise the potential of ski slopes in a European/US way is modest.

The Scottish experience (and, as reported by Peter on this forum, the current Pennines experience) - where ski slopes were originally used by clubs and then developed by lift companies - is interesting to compare.

As explored on the Australia thread, maybe climate change will force marginal ski areas back into club operation to survive. I guess the old rule applies - where there's a natural resource to expolit (not oil in this case) people will want to make money, and may operate better lifts than a club would risk investing in.

So it'll be interesting to see whether New Zealanders keep their ski clubs going.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 14-06-04 9:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In fact, I think my memory has been playing tricks. Digging around what information I still have, it looks as though I stayed in a club hut near the Hermitage hotel (then a much less swanky building than it is now) in the Mount Cook region - well away from Arthur's Pass (which I have also visited).

Beginnig to wish I had kept proper records. But I never have for skiing.

Skiing opportunities now seem to be heli-skiing (let's not thrash that one again!) or, I guess, ski touring.

I'd love to go back again.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy