Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The horror of lifts

Poster: A snowHead
Reading threads here and there I get the impression that most forms of uphill mountain transport are not suited to the snowboarder. I had quite a few problems with the simple tow rope.

The situation in general seems to be:
Poma - hell on earth
T-bar - Not quite so bad
Chairlift - not much control in the run out
Gondola, egg, pod thing - probably easier than for a skier

Are there nice quiet places to practise?

Any handy pointers for a beginner?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Given all the negative factors... how about not starting? Wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The traditional British way of sending a tea tray uphill is on a dumb waiter.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
'dumb waiter'? That would be the one sat in the middle of the piste then Wink Twisted Evil
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ian Hopkinson, you frapper le clou sur la tête!
Rule number one: go when it's quiet. Out of season, or during lunch.
Poma - use beginner drag and wear bright pink and blue one-piece. No one will notice your crap boarding as they make rude comments about your outfit.
T-bar - stick to France (no t-bars)
Chairlift - (see poma) avoid going up with skiers if at all possible. Skiers, as recent statistics show, have no sense of humour when it comes to lifts.
Gondola - excellent for getting whole of bubble to yourself as no slots left for skiers once you have put your boards in.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ian Hopkinson, don't believe all the bad press. If you can get up a drag lift on skis, then you can do it on a board. I'd heard many horror stories about drag lifts, struggled with the rope lift at SSV, and then went on the t-bar. I followed the instuctors directions and had no problem.....until I needed to get off (the instructor had "forgotton" to tell me how!). The only problem I had on the button at Castleford was getting off - but I think I've mastered that now.

Just don't believe the snowboarders when they say it's hard.....they just are no good on snow Wink Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elizabeth B wrote:
Just don't believe the snowboarders when they say it's hard.....they just are no good on snow Wink Wink

That's about right, either you can balance on a board or you can't Very Happy

It's ironic that, for me at least, the faster, steeper drags are easier on a board than the slow flat ones.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree that drag lifts get a lot of bad press, much of it exaggerated. This makes them intimidating and prevents people relaxing - thereby causing the problems that they were worried about.

However, that doesn't alter the fact that they can be painful on the inner thigh of the leading leg (t-bars seem to be worse than buttons in that respect I think)

I got used to drags when spending a week in July on the glacier at Les Deux Alpes. The drag went up beside the snowpark but actually started a long way below the park. Therefore, the accepted practice for those in the park was to form a "queue" at an unofficial mid station on a flat section.

When an empty T came along, you would hop forward (generally still strapped in with both feet) and time your jump to catch the T which was a passing overhead. In one smooth movement you would hopefully pull the T down, place it between your legs and ensure that your board was pointing the right way. You then pray that anyone that decides to jump onto the other half of the T does not knock you off in the process.

That was all very well, but the final section went beside the half pipe and was quite steep. Due to the summer temperatures the snow cover below the cables was lower than normal. Some of the Ts seemed to have shorter cords than others and if you were unlucky, you'd find yourself having to protect the family jewels as the ground and your board parted company....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
t-bars and poma's

Have your free hand outstretched kind of behind you. Like you are ready to ride a rodeo bull. Use it as a balance lever.

Ride on an edge. and plan your turns - eg swerves around bad bits of snow, rock, dead people, well ahead. As its like turning but in slloooowwww motion. So you have to intiate earlier

Wedge your back foot against the front of the back binding or even in it, if you can avoid stomping on the straps. It gives some leverage

Watch how others do it. Where they ride on the lift track, how far out they are. where there feet are.

It can be done. I can now tolerate a poma or T-bar. In fact, spent a day just riding one at Glencoe on the last day of the season.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So, my weight should be biased to my back foot and really I'm trying to achieve the feeling of 'normal' boarding facing, right angles to me direction of travel. The t-bar/poma is going to be pulling on the 'inside' thigh of my uphill leg (rather than the back of my thighs as it was designed to do!)...

I love this theoretical snowsport stuff Wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
So, my weight should be biased to my back foot

Your weight should be fairly even, but as you are travelling uphill, that usually falls slightly more on the back foot. Don't try and lean back though Skullie
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's all physics. If they'd got us out the classroom and on to the slopes, like the French do, I'd have done better at physics.

Yes, 'try' to achieve normal boarding.... but everything is super sensetive. Just be read for the unexpected to happen.

And, yes its going to be battering the inside of your uphill thigh. Grin and think of the powder you will access at the top - or engage in ten minutes of philosphical self-disuptation on the wisdom of 'no pain, no gain'
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SussexSnow, as a boarder of three hours experience "normal boarding" means charging off in an unexpected direction, with the clear understand that in something like 30 seconds I will have fallen on my ar$e!

The 10 minute t-bar on the glacier at Saas Fee had me (and Mrs H) cursing fluently - and we were on skis!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK. recommendations for Top Tows to Avoid.

1. Carpark T-bar at Hemsedal. Short but 1 in3 steep. A beginner I was with took over an hour to get up.

2. Signal at Courcheval. Tame but long, so late in the afternoon after ripping up and down the splendid pistes that accompany I ended up thumping a deadening thigh and screaming as I tried to stay on

Any other suggestions
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
use steps in or Flow bindings.................makes it a lot easier if your feet are in the bindings already. With straps it's a little bit more difficult (especially for beginners), even with the use of a stomp pad.

The worst bit of drag type lifts is the sudden jolt you get when you start, so make sure you are ready with plenty of time to pull the drag between your legs Wink and make sure the board is pointing forward, and lean back slightly. If you are "heavy" on the board you are more likely going to get jolted and thrown into the snow Laughing much to everyone's amusement and frustration.

The flats are also a pain as you can easily overtake the drag, just go with it. Don't try to fight the lift and definately don't try to make sudden movements, if you need to move slightly left or right, remember your heels and toes and use the pressure to gently and slowly move the board into hte correct position. It takes a while to crack drag lifts on a board, but keep going and you'll unlock even more piste/off-piste that the other boarders don't use...................unfortunately at MK or Castleford this wont mean much Ian! NehNeh
ski holidays
I used to sweat at the thought of poma lifts.

After 4 years decided to deal with it and went and had a lesson at Milton Keynes specifically to deal with it.

Problem now resolved!

Good luck.
latest report
The other choice is go to glacier in the summer, there's always drag lifts. A bit of practice before hitting the steep slopes in the winter.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy