Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche stats France 2003/4

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
2003/2004
• Total number of avalanche incidents recorded by ANENA: 51
• Number of avalanche incidents involving fatalities: 19
• Total number of deaths: 22
Last year over the same period, ANENA (National Association for Avalanche Study) recorded 41 avalanche incidents, 22 involving fatalities, with a total of 26 deaths.
None of the 16 incidents caused more than 2 deaths. However, two involving fatalities (one involving a party out walking and the other off-piste skiing) could have had more dramatic consequences. Indeed, during these two fatal accidents, 6 were caught up in the avalanche in the former and 4 in the latter.

In comparison to the 2002-2003 season, there was a significant drop in the number of fatal accidents (16 compared to 22) and less deaths (19 compared to 26).

When compared to the fourteen previous winters, without taking into account incidents involving four or more fatalities, it can be concluded that the 2003/4 winter was below average in the total number of incidents/victims. Indeed, over the 14 previous seasons, there was on average 17 incidents involving fatalities and 21 deaths per winter, compared to 16 and 19 last season.
The one ski patrol incident at Ste Foy on January 18th followed a controlled avalanche release. This was the fifth such fatal accident since 1990.

• Not all avalanches involve the intervention of the emergency services and as such are not reported to ANENA.
• The total number of visitors each season does not remain constant, and clearly this will affect the comparison to an extent.
• Accidents involving the deaths of four or more people have not been included, as this would distort the analysis of ‘usual’ incidents. Indeed, they only account for 4% of fatalities over the past 14 years.

2003 - 2004 FIGURES

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Facinating . . . although there is little detailed info for the stats, I’ll be interested to read the opinions of the skiers who take great rage (perhaps an inappropriate expression in the circumstances) and umbrage about the dangerous morons on snowboards who are putting ‘everyone’ at risk with their off-piste antics. Take a long look fellas, the shoe may just be on the other foot.

I still think that the differing techniques and physical dynamics of boards and skis on ‘steep & deep’ are part of the problem. You only have to see the deeper and more aggressive tracks of skis to conjecture that in identical snow circumstances a skier will be more likely to trigger a slide. Is or has there been any research into this?

I don’t want to awaken the Kraken of the Ski-v-board bollux, ‘cos there are idiots of both persuasions, I’d just like to know if it’s skiers who are the more foolhardy and dangerous to us Snowheads or is it simply a choice of weapon that determines the slide risk trigger ratio Puzzled
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh dear Masque, I am concerned that we're playing "let's jump over the sleeping dog" here but still:
although straight numbers show more incidents involving skiers than boarders (11:4), when u consider the ratio of skiers:boarders on the hill (about 5:1 i think) it would be easy to see an implication that boarders, proportionately, behave less responsibly.

However, these figures enhance my concerns over snow-shoers/walkers taking over, bombing around, causing avalanches all over the place. With 5 incidents they would appear to be the ones who proportionately pose the greatest danger Wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd argue that the proportion of boarders who go off-piste is much greater than skiers and might give even greater credence to my supposition. My query’s genuine, has there been any research or does anyone have any empirical evidence either way. My observation of boarding with mixed parties is that we boarders disturb the snow sheet far less and are usually travelling much closer to the fall line with less aggressive turns. Both of these characteristics put less stress into the snowpack.
I’d be interested to know the why where and how of the snowshoe incidents. My argument is that ‘shoeing’ has always (and documented – someone over on Septic had a doctorate thesis on how walkers were consistent authors of their own doom) had a very high death and slide trigger rate. I spent 25 years walking up hills before I figured it was kinda smart to start sliding down them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wonder how many mountain 'novices' hire snoeshoes - possibly quite a large proportion? And going off the beaten track, easy to do on snoeshoes, more trouble than it's worth when a beginner on skis.

As for disturbing the snow sheet less, the amount of times I've secretly cursed drifters sideslipping more or less straight down the fall line, seemingly taking half the mountain with them!

They may be a larger proportion of boarders off-piste, but I wonder which group puts in the biggest mileage?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PG, That's my point, there needs to be some detailed research.
And I agree boarders playing bulldozer is almost as irritating as skiers turning an unmarked pitch into crud and bumpfields.
But mutual loathing apart, you’re not gonna roll out that old chestnut about mileage (or ‘vert’) being an important part of the snow experience. That just takes you into the realm of shallow inanity that defines many of the pillocks over on septic ski. Just read some of Ott’s stories to understand just how short a measure of pleasure that is!

Back to the thread, I maintain that skiers put more stress into the snowpack and will be more likely to trigger a slide. Research please.
(and by implication . . . should be banned from off-piste . . . . he he he – knew I couldn’t keep it in forever!) Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I doubt if there's any significant difference between a skier and a boarder in disturbing the snowpack - riders of equivalent weight will displace the same mass of snow.

I've experience of a third way - the monoski, which I rode almost exclusively for 3 or 4 years. If you keep a mono close to the fall-line it'll cut a neat single track like a snowboard (stating the obvious).

If we're talking traversing - a classic cause of slab avalanches - then I doubt if it makes any difference what you ride. The side-slipping / snow sweeping tendency of the snowboard isn't really relevant to this thread, since it's essentially a piste problem.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just a point on the board/ski aspect of the above stats. The activity mentioned in each incident is presumably that of the person killed. This person may not be responsible for the avalanche (indeed, in some cases, it might be no one), and secondly non-fatal avalanches are not mentioned. Therefore the statistics really tell you nothing about the relative impact (for want of a better term) of the different disciplnes. For that you'd need specific research.

Anyone out there about to do a phd in some mountain or tourist related subject?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skanky, If you fund it i'll gladly do a "few" years investigation into it!! snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm sure you'd be able to get some funding from a board or ski manufacturer...just don't expect anyone to be surprised at your results. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David , by eck lad y’dunnu tak oota yer ginnel! From the man that brought us the ‘monoski’ (an act that you should have had the grace to ritually disembowel yourself for a long time ago), it’s a rare pair of ‘Phat’ skis that, combined, equal the square area of a board. Whatever the weight of the participant it’s the pressure per sq. cm. That determines the stress put into the snowpack – AND since part of the ski experience is weighting one ski over another then it’s self evident that in identical circumstances a skier is more likely to trigger a fall. This before we get to the way the two disciplines actually ride the snow. As you’d have found if you’d got yer finger outa yer ginnel and come on le Tour d’Abuse this year.
Next time? Let’s see how much physio will be needed to show you the way down the hill! Another bloody skier . . . all gob and no pTex.
Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque wrote:
PG.... you’re not gonna roll out that old chestnut about mileage (or ‘vert’) being an important part of the snow experience...

That wasn't what I was driving at, I was thinking about the original stats and your reply to U ... just that if you're trying to analyse the figures and point out that there are a larger proportion of boarders off-piste, this making the figures appear to reflect badly on boarders' attitudes and behaviour, then you have to consider how much ground is being covered by each group as well... if you see what I mean.

i.e. a ski tourer covering 20 miles during the day = 'X' snowboarders. ('X' marks the spot where they're sitting down off-piste Wink )
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just to update the original stats posted above for last season in France, davidof has added an updated and more detailed version here on PisteHors.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy