Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry ski slope

Poster: A snowHead
Went skiing on the local dry slope this afternoon. I thought I'd try and practice and consolidate some things I'd picked up in VT last month.
Well......... I skied as though I'd never been on skis before Evil or Very Mad I just couldn't commit myself into the turns - it all felt awful.

It could be down to a few things.....poor technique, lousy hire boots and even lousier skis (or a combination of all three)
Well my technique served me relatively well on snow last month but obviously it's still work in progress, and I could take my own boots - I doubt whether they've got any good skis to try.

So, do I persevere and try to master the dry slope, which wasn't enjoyable today? I don't want to compensate and possibly compromise what I've learnt so far. Another alternative would be to stick to skiing on snow -albeit indoor or on the mountains?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hywel, I started dry slope skiing just about a year ago, and had a pretty similar experience - totally unable to make an effective turn. The surface (I assume it's Dendix) is incredibly unforgiving, and punishes you big time for any mistakes you make. However, precisely because of that it's very good for technique improvement, so if that's what you're trying to get out of it you'll really benefit. It may also be worth getting a lesson or so for someone else to point out to you what you're doing wrong. Don't worry that you'll pick up techniques inappropriate for piste skiing, quite the reverse (although my experience is that if you do much off-piste skiing it de-emphasises several techniques you need in soft snow). Take your own boots, but don't worry about own skis (unless you try doing any racing). If you have any knee/bum pads (from skateboarding etc) wear those as well, and always Always ALWAYS wear hardwearing trousers, longsleeves and gloves, as falls HURT!

If you just want a bit of a ski I'd forget it though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hywel, I started skiing on dry slope 1 month ago & had identical experience (as does everyone I have spoken to with similar past to me) I have skiied since I was a small child - however, my skiing radically improved from the dry slope lessons, I'm told this is because everything is much slower & correct technique is essential. I use my own boots and ski's (good ski's made a big difference to my skiing - but its not everyones choice.)

I am going to continue skiing on dry, because the instructors in norwich make it so interesting, I have learned loads of new stuff that I hadn't even heard of. good luck, I really hope you start to enjoy it soon - it took me 2 sessions to get used to it - and I love it now! rebecca Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hywel, Definitely stick with it. The previous 2 posts are spot on. On Dendix you just can't get away with things you get away with on piste. You'll learn better technique which will stand you in good stead when you get back to the snow. Where are you skiing? There's probably a club you can join with regular coaching sessions, a very good way to improve and be ready for your next trip to the snow.

BTW, very good skiers do adapt pretty quickly - when I was working at Sandown an instructor from ESF ValThorens came over. It took him 2 runs to "acclimatise"!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hywel, keep at it, when you get to the snow next season the transition is really easy, i grew up skiing on the plastic and got the same thing, you spend the season skiing on the real stuf then struggle for the first few turns on the plastic. the more you do the easier it gets Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hywel, As above, just stick with it fo the time being, you will get used to the surface pretty quickly. Take your own boots as they will be a much better fit and more comfortable.
Have they got any regular group sessions that you can join in with ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hywel, Ditto everyone else...boots will make the biggest difference. Was the slope misted ? If so, you can use your own skis without them coming to too much harm....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hywel, I went to the dry slope at Gloucester this week for the first time in ages and found it really difficult to begin with. The Dendix is very unforgiving and highlights all my errors. The long slope at Gloucester has Snowflex at the top for anyone who can do tricks on snow - definitely not me - and I found that even more difficult than the Dendix. It was almost impossible to get the edges to bite and I am too much of a coward to simply let the skis run. Towards the end of my session I moved over to the shorter slope which is all Dendix and found it almost enjoyable!. Own boots and skis make a big difference. I shall try to go fairly regularly over the summer to build up both skill and confidence.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for your unainmous advice!
I think I'll try and stick with it over the coming months. I'll definitely take my own boots and maybe take a lesson or two. snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hywel, I am in the 'ladies club' and as an example of lessons, for the next 3 weeks our instructor is dissecting turns, so first week we did leg rotational turns - coming down doing something like a windscreen wiper action with our skis about 1 foot apart and something called 'braccage' then next week is 'pressure turns' the third week 'edge turns' then we put it all together. after that it is steering corridors, then jumps & slalom. I really look forward to these lessons. I'm sure all the clubs around the country run similar courses - norwich also does 'fun park' stuff which I might try too!! good luck - & wear a helmet, that stuff is hard to land on! rebecca
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Braquage?
should pivot(steer) from middle of ski not push end around - hence not like a windscreen wiper turn at all if I understand both terms correctly...
ummm one instructor i know insists braquage means something like "twisting" and hence really is simply a name for steering the skis using rotary skill not the name of an exercise... but many use the name for what others call Pivot Slips... side slip down hill - so skis across fall line... turn them to fall line keeping body still travelling in straight line down fall line... then turn them back to the other direction across the fall line... then back again....so you leave a track like a bow tie in shape if you do it all right....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For some reason I have it in my head that I wouldn't want to use my own skis on a dry slope - can anyone remember why?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
little tiger, I meant 2 separate exercises - braquage, or however you spell it being different from the windscreen wiper exercise, there were actually 4 or 5 different exercises to get us to do leg rotational turns, can't remember the other names. Our instructor explained braquage in a similar way to your pivot slips.

Ian Hopkinson, I think it is possible to ruin your skis, but mr.rpft gallantly offered me his to use for my lessons (methinks he has his eyes on some new ones next year and me trashing his is a really good excuse)

personally I am skiing better on my own skis - maybe because the edges are better, I don't know.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rpft@rpft.co.uk, Mr rpft is clearly after a new pair of skis, I will learn from a master wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ian Hopkinson, think you're right, he sniggered when he read your post & looked very slightly embarrassed wink
snow conditions
I wonder if there is a psychological limit with dry slopes in that all the ones I've been on are not very long and you don't feel as though you can commit yourself to speed and turning before you think that you are going to run out of slope?
snow report
Ian Hopkinson, If the dendix is dry there is more friction between the slope and the soles of your skis and therefore the bases wear out more quickly. However if the slope is watered (misted), as ski, says and/or you wax your skis properly for dry slopes, then you should not have any problems. The slope will hate you for using sharp edges, but they won't stop you.

halfhand, The whole point is surely to learn skill - skill is to be able to do it slowly!
ski holidays
easiski, yes I didn't mean belting down hell for leather but if you are learning then the prospect of trying to turn slowly and confidently could be a little daunting on subconscious level. I'm sorry I'm not explaining myself very well. I'll leave it to you experts Blush
ski holidays
Ian Hopkinson, the major wear problem with dendix on skis is caused by the heat build up caused by the friction of the ski over the mat, this heat on the edges builds up and as the edges run under the base for a few mm, this heats the base from the inside. The soft base material now gets worn away very easily.

I remember racing at Hillend years ago, and the smell of burning P-Tex was quite disturbing.......on a dry day you could destroy a ski in one or two runs Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
CEM, Lol! The problem is even worse on Perma-snow!!! Especially in turns in a certain direction! Some JNL slopes are having to re-sole their rental stock. Allegedly.

I know several SSE coaches that are tearing their hair out at the unsuitability of Perma-snow. Race skis are "too sharp" and are cutting the matting.

From the "ESRA" forum:
++++++++++++
I tried 'PermaSnow' some months ago at Swad along with several other coaches at a revalidation course. It was only on the nursery slope but I soon formed an opinion. I must admit that I was so surprised that I continued to ski on it many more times than my fellow coaches in order to be sure mine was not a 'transitional' reaction. I should add that the course leaders left the slope after 1 go.

I found the surface 'unskiable' in any enjoyable or useful sense. In short I found there was little grip in the start of the turn and then the ski tracked when the edge finally bit. I would compare it to skiing on boilerplate ice after it had received 2 inches of fresh snow which had been brushed into clumps so that there is no grip on the ice followed by sudden grip in the clumps.

Possibly ok for beginners (lesson 1 & 2) and maybe for boarders (ask a boarder). I cannot envisage this surface being successful in its present form. Please note that all this assumes that the Swad nursery slope represents a typical representation of the surface. Even if there was a way of fixing poles I would not like to race on it.

It skis very differently to SnowFlex which I think will be raceable as soon as there is a way of fixing the poles.
+++++++++++++

From "MySnowSports.com":
+++++++++++++
The biggest problem was losing the abiltity to set courses. As well as this the surface was affecting the way in which the kids were skiing. One problem is that it is very difficult to add/remove pressure from the skis effectively. Most kids were just doing riding the edges top to bottom and not skiing effectively. It is also very difficult to skid the skis which again causes lots of problems.
Over time the kids have improved but I would say that the surface has slowed down there development as skiers.
We now train at Aldershot and Wycombe to give the guys a chance to run some gates and ski on dendix so that they have a chance in races.
+++++++++++++

The decision to lay the surface is a business and insurance one. The plus side is that snowboarders and freestyle skiers love the surface as it is much nicer to fall on so at least some people have benefited from it.

Interesting article from "Racer Ready":

http://www.mysnowsports.com/main_cpg/News/article/sid=278.html
latest report
hi all the dry slope is no substitute for snow,i ski it three times a week at ipswich,it all depends on the outside temperature the wind direction ,but as easiski says it still good to practice ,and with wax and mist it doesnt take long to get the skis on there edges,try taking to the slope when its raining theres not so much friction ,and wood core skis help as well,falling isnt reccomended though,so persivere and itll be worth it snowHead
latest report
If like me your skiing on your own skis on plastic each week, and have a shocking sence of smell. Make sure that a mate is looking out for the signs that your bases are getting too hot, (apperently it stinks, but ive never noticed it Confused)
really is so much more fun when its raining, particually when you local slope dosnt have misters Sad
snow conditions
hey I'm a mister Toofy Grin

but maybe you can tell me why Cardiff Uni make the environmentally unfriendly star trek to Pembrey every week instead of going to their "local slope" as they used to Puzzled
snow conditions
where on earth is pembery Puzzled

No idea about where the normal skiing happens, but the race training has been on the fairwater? slope in north cardiff this year
latest report
Pembrey is West of Llanelli, near Burry Port. Haven't seen the ski club at Fairwater for a couple of years - Monday night used to be the regular, before they turned to the Dark Side and went to Pembrey Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Alan Craggs wrote:
Pembrey is West of Llanelli, near Burry Port.

The thread has gone full circle as it was skiing at Pembrey last weekend that prompted me to enquire!
BTW, which club skis every week at Pembrey?
latest report
Hywel, I was feeling guilty thinking I'd hijacked the thread Smile Don't know the answer to your question but Cardiff Uni used to come to Fairwater until a couple of years ago. When they stopped coming we (the instructors who worked with them) were told that they were going to Pembrey instead - allegedly because as a Council subsidised slope they could offer a very cheap deal which made the trip worthwhile.
snow report
One summer years ago I completely ruined a new pair of skis at Hillend in Edinburgh. The skis got so hot I ended up with bases that had riples and ridges all over them - I was not a happy bunny!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga, You needed Back to Black!!!
latest report
How does playgrass compare to snowflex for wear on ski equipment and durability . Considering building a dry ski area in a climate of between 25-36 degrees Celsius ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy