Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tributes paid to British ski instructor killed in Les Menuires avalanche

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The victim of an avalanche on 19 January above Les Menuires, France, is revealed today to have been British.

Robin Cane, a 48-year-old ski instructor from Norfolk, had settled in nearby Meribel and set up a chalet business there. He was in a group skiing off-piste with a guide, and - according to this report from EDP24 - he was taken by a slide triggered by a skier higher up the slope.

A multi-talented sportsman and musician - he played in the London Symphony Orchestra and Glyndebourne Opera - Robin Cane qualified as a ski instructor 15 years ago.

Anyone remember Robin Cane?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More about Robin Cane in this article from EADT24 today.
Quote:
He had been with the ski company Magic in Motion, an international ski and snowboard school, for more than 10 years before leaving last year to start work as a private instructor and guide.

Quote:
Skiers and snowboarders alike are planning to hold a torchlight descent down the mountainside in Meribel in tribute next week.

Last night, his friend Lulu Cottle said Mr Cane would be sorely missed by everyone who knew him.

Mrs Cottle, joint owner of Magic in Motion, said: “Robin was one of those men that couldn't fail to have an impression on you which was strange as he was a very quietly spoken, unassuming man.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I met Robin Cane six years ago. I was skiing with a friend in Vail, Colorado and Robin and his partner, Sally, were guests in the same chalet. Chalet buffs will know how you get together at mealtimes with other guests and chat over all sorts of subjects. Well Robin and Sally's wide range of interests and experiences made them absorbing company.

My friend, Laurance, and I had decided to have a day trip to Aspen and as we had two spare seats in the car we offered them to Robin and Sally. It was a wonderfull day! The drive to Aspen took us through beautiful Glenwood Canyon and when we reached Aspen, because it was late in the season, we virtually had the mountain (Snowmass) to ourselves. Robin, who by then had been a ski instructor for about nine years, said that he had never skiied on such lovely snow as we had that day. Under clear blue skies Robin conducted a day long ski lesson for us and I think it's fair to say that it was the best day's skiing that I have ever had and I have been skiing for over forty years now.

Sadly we never got to ski together again but in the last six years the four of us have met up in London on a number of occasions for a meal and a chat. Again, because of his and Sally's wide interests it was always a most stimulating evening.

It is ironic that this should have happened to such a meticulous and safety-conscious man and I just wish that I could wave a magic wand for Sally and turn it into just a bad dream, but life ain't like that is it!?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A lovely tribute/post Stephen, what else can I say.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks very much for that, Stephen. I was hoping that someone could pay a personal tribute to Robin Cane, who sounds like he was a rare and special ski instructor.

Welcome to snowHeads.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just seen this thread and am shocked and gutted.

Robin was a top all round good bloke and is the main reason that my wife and i and our friend Matt are mad keen skiiers now. He's taught us a couple of times a year for the past 4 or 5 years and we always had a great time and learnt loads.

To be honest the 3Vs without Robin wont be anywhere near the same.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I heard about Robin yesterday and was very shocked and saddened. My girlfriend and I met Robin last year in Meribel when we were there for a season and had a number of lessons with him.
He was an amazing and inspirational teacher, by far the best I have ever had. Always so patient and immensely positive, he transformed our skiing and gave us a confidence that we could ski anything. He taught technically, explaining the detail of 'why' and 'how' so that it all fitted together and made sense. At the same time he had great fun on the hill.
He was a lovely man, so gentle and polite with an amazing talent for so many things and yet quiet and modest with it.
He believed skiing was simple but not easy which allowed everyone to learn successfully from him.
He was the last person I would have expected to be killed in this way, he was so knowledgeable about the mountains and the weather and always showed them great respect, constantly teaching us and showing about the snow formations and danger spots so that we could make the best of the hill. He is the last person that this should happen to.
We only spent about 30 hours with him but he has left with us a skill and a memory that will never leave us. Since our first lesson we have always skiied thinking 'what would Robin being saying now? do I look like Robin?', and we will do so even more now.
Our thoughts and prayers are with Sally and his family. He will be hugley missed by all who spent any time with him. We have lost a truly lovely and great gentleman.
Mark Hayman
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have just read Mark Hayman's tribute to Robin Cane and found it very moving. You really summed Robin up beautifully, Mark.

The funeral last week was very emotional, of course, but uplifting as well with some very well chosen readings and hymns. I am not a believer myself, but I am glad I was there to honour his memory along with, according to the Vicar, some 200 other mourners. I am sure that the ceremony in Meribel tomorrow will also be an occasion to remember, with the torchlight descent. I am only sorry that I can't be there myself.

Stephen Hughes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi,

First post on this site! And unfortunately not a nice one. I found out about this the otherday through my parents. Robin was my first ski instructor when I went with magic a few years ago, and since then I often saw him out in Meribel sking around and he would always remember me and was one of those people who makes you feel like they were genuinely interested in what you were saying! Great guy, real shame to hear this happen, especially seeing as I saw him ski past me on a drag lift above Mottaret at Christmas time -at least I'm pretty sure it was him.

_phil
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would just like to say how warming it has been to read the wonderful, friendly tributes to my brother Robin Cane. A friend told me about the site and it has been comforting to know that not only will we miss dear Robin dreadfully, but that so many of his friends will treasure his memory also. As a family, we have had so many communications over the past weeks it has been impossible to answer them all until now. Like you, we will miss the good friend that we had in Robin, but also the amazingly supportive and loving brother and son. Of all people, Robin had so much more to do with his life. His many talents and skills, his interests and enthusiasm for so many things were inspiring. As a family we were always quite worried that Robin was often involved in activities that most of us would call risky, e.g. flying light aircraft, sailing, skiing, and climbing. But we never considered Robin to be the type of person who took risks. As has been said so many times since we lost Robin, he wasn’t a risk taker, he was very skilful and knowledgeable and would always consider every angle before making any decisions. It is especially hard for us now, as we would have Robin back in England with us after the ski season. We appreciate that so many of Robin’s skiing friends will think of him when they return to the slopes. As a family, we were not skiers, but my brother, his family, my husband and I plan a walking holiday in the Meribel region this summer. We have always wanted to see the mountains in summer, as Robin felt it was a lovely place to be at any time of the year. Hopefully we will soak up some of the atmosphere that Robin loved so much, but also have an opportunity to say goodbye to him in a place that he was truly happy.
Sue (Cane) Rouse.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sue A lovely tribute and post. A shame your first one should be in such sad circumstances. My deepest sympathies to you all.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sue - thank you for posting, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy