Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go for xmas?

Poster: A snowHead
Suggestions peeps, where's good to go skiing over xmas? I've not been away over xmas before so i'm not sure where to go. We've skiied serre chevalier, arinsal, cervinia and soldeu. we're a couple of good beginners / low intermediates. currently happy on all blues and most red runs that we've encountered. We both really liked soldeu and are tempted to go for somewhere similar, i.e. like to go to a pub at the end of the day, have a few beers / games of pool and maybe even do a bit of clubbing if still awake Wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Rosiere 1850, meets all your criteria.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For Christmassy atmosphere Austria takes some beating, and they usually have good snow early too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You beat me to it David. The_Mac_Daddy, that's a fine recommendation and the resort has a good snow record. There are loads of runs that are ideal for your skiing level and the village is quite charming with plenty of bars etc to choose from. There's also the opportunity to ski over to La Thuile in Italy which can be accomplished on blues and reds. Great fun!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ever eaten in the restaurant that goes by the innovative name of "Le Chalet", Mark? Had a great meal there the other day. Portuguese hostesse (I think), if that rings any bells.

Back to the thread, I'm not so sure about the clubbing scene in La Rosière!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris Bish wrote:
For Christmassy atmosphere Austria takes some beating, and they usually have good snow early too.

Excellent idea, we've been for the Christmass break a few times in good hotels in Austria and it's been just fantastic. For an actual Christmass break France just doesn't compare, as ski destinations there's pro's and con's for both though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I got PG's studio flat now for Christmas and will raid La Rosiere any time I want. It is a 10 miles drive from Bourg St. Maurice. Been there in two winters and two summers.

I am surprised that no taker on my Christmas meet at Bourg St Maurice. If one can't find good skiing in 3-Vallee/La Plagne/Les Arcs/Tignes/Val D I like to know where else. Rosiere is put on the back burn because even combined with La Thuile it is still a small fly among the big guns in Tarentaise.

I did Salzburg area (Zell am See/Kaprun/Saalbach-Hinterglemm/Bad Gastein) and Tirol (Kitzbuhel/Soll-Ellmau-Westendorf/Alpbach/St Johann) last Christmas. Like the Swiss resorts they are smaller and have their charm but going France save me half the accommodation cost. For Christmas it is a safe bet to stick with height or resorts with glaciers.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG, I don't recall having eaten there, but as we were half boarding most meals out tended to be lunchtime on the slopes somewhere. Whereabouts is the restaurant?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have to agree with Chris Bish and Ise that the Christmas atmosphere is better in Austria than France. Many people drink outside in streets. They may sing too but not always in English though.

Bourg St Maurice is a decent size villeage or town but didn't see much activities at night when I was there February/March this year. The restaurants and pubs were not busy at all. The train station was pretty deserted too. We are not the active type and didn't mind at all.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 28-05-04 15:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mark, it's right opposite our chalet. Definitely the one of the best restuarants in La Rosiere, Tony and Tati also run the Travasette.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you like andorra then you should try Les Deux Alpes- not the prettiest but hey - good skiing and loads of pubs!

Im also sending you secret mind control messages urging you to go back to Andorra- you know you love it!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saikee wrote:
I have to agree with Ise that the Christmas atmosphere is better in Austria than France. Many people drink outside in streets. They may sing too but not always in English though.

Our first Christmas in the Savoie and a band (accordeons, etc) started playing in our front garden one evening. We thought they were the Savoyard equivalent of carol singers, and tried to give them some money... until they told us that they were our neighbours, and that they do this every Christmas...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David, will have give it a try next time round in that case.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG

I know you would jump in if I say anything about Bourg St Maurice. I have a soft spot for it because I passed it every time I do the two St. Bernard passes on a motorbike. Your web can do with a page on the link with Italy. I know the Petit St Bernard pass is close in every winter (so is its twin Grand St Bernard pass) but in summer there is a lot of traffic between this important Italy/France link. It is a heaven for motorbikes. La Rosiere is one of the few outstanding points to stop and Bourg St Maurice is ideal to stay overnight coming from either directions.

In Austria people seem to do an outdoor market/display in some evening and you can buy a drink at a stall. There seems to be a lot of gethering around in some places and people having a drink in the evening outside same as the Frenchs or Italians having a coffee on the sidewalks in the day time. As it is miserably cold outside in Christmas so we find the atmosphere cheered up. The French restaurants can be very busy at night but Austrian food is always big and massive (to us) and the service is always up to the standard.

I am sure I shall enjoy an entertaining 2004 Christmas in Savoie. May be when you have a bit of time write something on your web on the Savoie food. Just like to know if there is more than just sauages.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ooo, theres also cheese.
Very Happy
snow report
saikee wrote:

In Austria people seem to do an outdoor market/display in some evening and you can buy a drink at a stall. There seems to be a lot of gethering around in some places and people having a drink in the evening outside same as the Frenchs or Italians having a coffee on the sidewalks in the day time. As it is miserably cold outside in Christmas so we find the atmosphere cheered up. The French restaurants can be very busy at night but Austrian food is always big and massive (to us) and the service is always up to the standard.

These markets are the common all over German speaking areas at that time of year and into areas like the Alsace such as Strasbourg. We had a lot near where we lived in Germany and if we go to the German speaking areas here they have them.
ski holidays
Try Austria or Switzerland for a real Christmassy feel. We were in Obergurgl over the New Year - it was lovely. Similarly we were in Saas Fee for carnival week in Feb - really lovely holiday spot. I went to Soldeu in March and whilst the pistes were very well groomed and wide etc., the place lacked any character. They've just bulldozed down all the mountain trees to make the pistes.
Although if you're young and want that party, boozy, trashy feel, it's fine. Also, watch the food. We stayed in the Village Sport and it was hideous. All jelly and chips with everything. We also had upset stomachs.
I'll have to disagree about the ski instruction. We had a young, show-off lad, who wasn't interested. It was very poor.
snow report
PG, ate at Le Chalet on our chalet hosts night off-excellent meal , very atmospheric, asit was snowing heavily outside, afterwards a major snowball fight with the Danes staying opposite made the night.
snow conditions
French resorts do have the upper hand when you are actually skiing simply because of their sizes and variety of possibilities. Decent French resorts also believe in chairlifts and are good for older skiers having a chance of sitting down and rest instead of being dragged along by a button or a T-bar.

Don't have the experience of the Spanish resorts but they seem to beat others on price. To me French is nearer and competitive in price enough.

If I have to choose charm and quality of the services my order would be Swiss/ Austrian, French. My personal experience with the Austrians is better with the Swiss

For pure enjoyment on the slopes I would put the French first. French can also offer quality services too but it does seem to be in their nature to put it as the top priority.

Christmas can be tricky because snow can be in short supply even in Canada or Scandinavia where the season starts earlier than the Alpes. Paying the peak rate for skiing carries a lot of risk at this time of the year.

Lets all report back after this Christmas.
ski holidays
Thanks for all your recommendations peeps, think i'll look into the France suggestions. I am a bit put off by Austria's low-ish altitude but will still consider it.

Nadenoodlee> I'll probably go back to soldeu at the end of season as a last minute cheapie seeing as we had such a good time there in march this year (first deep powder experience Wink)
ski holidays
The_Mac_Daddy wrote:
Thanks for all your recommendations peeps, think i'll look into the France suggestions. I am a bit put off by Austria's low-ish altitude but will still consider it.

It hardly matters if it's below sea level though does it? The early snow record for Austria's just as good as France, in fact in some recent years it's been much better. This was Lech in 2001 when there was hardly any snow in France at the time. Places like Obergurgl open in mid-November and look like this.
snow report
The_Mac_Daddy wrote:
(first deep powder experience Wink)
is that code for something? NehNeh

Ahh it may not be the prettiest but as my brother says.." you dont look at the mantle piece when you're stoking the fire" I guess it can be applied to ski resorts too!?!

Well im booked for Arinsal in march and getting ready to book Pas in January!
ski holidays
The_Mac_Daddy, I would agree with ise, Austrian resorts appear to lead the way for historic snow conditions in the 4th week of December. Here are the figures courtesy of weather.co.uk. The first figure is the lower slope and the second figure is the upper slope. Kaunertal and Obertauern beat all others on the list in terms of lower slopes.

Switzerland
Adelboden/Lenk 16 cm 60 cm Andermatt 30 cm 215 cm Arosa 52 cm 66 cm Champery 20 cm 51 cm Crans-Montana 9 cm 55 cm Davos 18 cm 98 cm Engadin/St. Moritz 35 cm 133 cm Engelberg - Titlis - Lochpass 19 cm 108 cm Flims-Laax-Falera 24 cm 105 cm Grachen 20 cm 46 cm Grimentz/Anniviers 21 cm 61 cm Grindelwald 49 cm 70 cm Gstaad 20 cm 121 cm Klosters Gotschune-Parsenn Madrisa 29 cm 98 cm Lenk-La-Lenk 20 cm 49 cm Lenzerheide/Valbella 24 cm 75 cm Les Diablerets 14 cm 55 cm Leysin 27 cm 74 cm Meiringen/Hasliberg 77 cm 113 cm Murren/Schilthorn 15 cm 92 cm Pontresina/Engadin 35 cm 133 cm Saas-Fee 31 cm 192 cm Samnaun 30 cm 70 cm Verbier/Val de Bagnes 34 cm 110 cm Villars 22 cm 64 cm Wengen 28 cm 58 cm Zermatt 15 cm 95 cm Zinal/Anniviers 30 cm 63 cm

Austria
Altenmarkt/Zauchensee 37 cm 55 cm Bad Kleinkerchheim 25 cm 48 cm Badgastein 16 cm 133 cm Hintertux 26 cm 115 cm Innsbruck-Igls 10 cm 50 cm Ischgl 10 cm 100 cm Kaunertal 100 cm 178 cm Kitzbuhel 22 cm 68 cm Lech-Zurs 59 cm 100 cm Mayrhofen/Ziller V 12 cm 79 cm Neustift/Stubaital 5 cm 70 cm Obertauern 84 cm 128 cm Pitztal 40 cm 163 cm Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang 35 cm 97 cm Schladming 45 cm 86 cm Seefeld Tirol 26 cm 79 cm Solden/ Otz Valley 5 cm 44 cm St Anton am Arlberg 30 cm 140 cm St Johann 37 cm 82 cm Zell am See/Kaprun 62 cm 178 cm

France
Alpe d'Huez 37 cm 123 cm Avoriaz 50 cm 101 cm Chamonix Mont-Blanc 29 cm 87 cm Chamrousse 26 cm 70 cm Chatel 22 cm 94 cm Courchevel 10 cm 65 cm Flaine 43 cm 102 cm La Clusaz 20 cm 110 cm La Mongie 25 cm 38 cm La Plagne 26 cm 75 cm Le Grand-Bornand 37 cm 72 cm Les 2 Alpes 29 cm 75 cm Les Gets 20 cm 46 cm Les Menuires 16 cm 61 cm Megeve 30 cm 65 cm Meribel 20 cm 64 cm Montgenevre 80 cm 115 cm Morzine 17 cm 115 cm Risoul 75 cm 130 cm Saint Gervais Mont Blanc 35 cm 75 cm Saint Martin De Belleville 19 cm 61 cm Samoens 41 cm 100 cm Serre-Chevalier 48 cm 176 cm Tignes 35 cm 114 cm Val D'Isere 28 cm 63 cm Val Thorens 31 cm 95 cm Valmorel 26 cm 62 cm Vars 36 cm 73 cm Vaujany 8 cm 101 cm

Italy
Arabba 26 cm 62 cm Bormio 2 cm 151 cm Cortina d'Ampezzo 17 cm 95 cm Courmeyeur 30 cm 75 cm Madonna Di Campiglio 29 cm 105 cm
latest report
Just one point here with respect to 'historic' levels. Although the above is true, and last year for example the impression was of a bumper year, the reality was that in many areas lower level resorts struggled and we are being told that this trend will reinforce itself with each successive season, and in the relatively short term. It doesn't snow down to the lower levels as it once did, winters are milder, and with the capricious conditions we're seeing at the moment I wouldn't take a chance and choose to go to a low altitude resort unless booking at the last minute when I know conditions are ok.
ski holidays
PG wrote:
Just one point here with respect to 'historic' levels. Although the above is true, and last year for example the impression was of a bumper year, the reality was that in many areas lower level resorts struggled and we are being told that this trend will reinforce itself with each successive season, and in the relatively short term. It doesn't snow down to the lower levels as it once did, winters are milder, and with the capricious conditions we're seeing at the moment I wouldn't take a chance and choose to go to a low altitude resort unless booking at the last minute when I know conditions are ok.

My impression was less that it didn't snow to lower levels but more that the temperatures were fluctulating so widely there was no real retention. My guess still is we had more snow actually fall last season than for a few years, in fact from the rain in the last few days I reckon precipitation this year is way up on last year.
latest report
At the start of this thread The_Mac_Daddy wrote:
We ... like to go to a pub at the end of the day, have a few beers / games of pool and maybe even do a bit of clubbing if still awake
but saikee wrote:
Christmas can be tricky because snow can be in short supply even in Canada or Scandinavia where the season starts earlier than the Alpes
You want pubs, you want snow: only one place to go:
I think you should go to Mille T'on Keinz .
Popular with skiers and boarders, very christmasy, plus good pubs and clubs for every taste.
snow report
point taken peeps, maybe i'll just hang on until nearer the time and see what is about. The only thing is i know it get's really busy over xmas and that's why i was going to book early. However it's only the 2 of us so there should be some last minute places i guess, and i won't exclude Austria (should try everything once i guess Wink)

Nad> do you work for the Andorran tourist board Very Happy
ski holidays
The_Mac_Daddy wrote:
point taken peeps, maybe i'll just hang on until nearer the time and see what is about. The only thing is i know it get's really busy over xmas and that's why i was going to book early. However it's only the 2 of us so there should be some last minute places i guess, and i won't exclude Austria (should try everything once i guess Wink)

The UK companies might be booked out but booking direct we didn't have a problem leaving it until a couple of weeks before. Obviously somewhat easier for us living in Germany for travel and always having the fallback of using one of own places in France Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's alright for some i guess Wink

I've always been tempted to buy myself a villa somewhere but a bit scared about investing lots of money abroad, dealing with foreign laws and processes, jealous locals (vandals etc) and not being there most of the time to look after it Sad
snow conditions
The_Mac_Daddy wrote:
It's alright for some i guess Wink

I've always been tempted to buy myself a villa somewhere but a bit scared about investing lots of money abroad, dealing with foreign laws and processes, jealous locals (vandals etc) and not being there most of the time to look after it Sad

oh boy... do I have a deal for you Very Happy For sale : two bedroom flat in St Gervais

No more worries booking Very Happy
snow report
The_Mac_Daddy, Nope but I should! I just love it there!- just booking my Jan trip to Pas at the moment! - never really got the whole Soldeu thing- seemed a bit quiet to me!?
snow conditions
Just in case any of you loath Christmas and want to ski somewhere completely different.
I spent Xmas in Japan last year and have for many years. Xmas day isnt even a holiday and there is noone around and usually buckets of snow! On top of that lift prices are dirty cheap, the food is fantastic and well, you get to sleep on a tatami mat.

Another plus is that ski equipment in Japan is much cheaper than in Europe since the major players dump lots of their products there. The Japanese often buy new skis every season, so you can get the latest models dirty cheap.

Nagano has many fabulous resorts and if you can afford a trip to Hokaido, the snow in January is similar to that in Alta. I stay in Hakuba just across from the Olympic downhill slope where Hermann took that famous fall.
No off-piste in Japan, but lots of moguls. There are no drag lifts or T-bars! Luxury Smile

Well, OK, some of you must think I am nuts but it beats skiing here on crowded slopes with little snow and as I said the food is great!

If anyway is interested, I can give you photos, contacts, advice.

No Xmas dinner but the sake for breakfast on New Year's Morning is a treat Razz
snow report
sparish,

Been to Japan twice in last couple of years but never managed to see the facilities there. There is a good possibility for me to hoop over it from Hong Kong in March 2005. How's the snow then? Just after something reasonable and avoiding going as far as Hokaido if that can be avoid but I know it is the place to be. Most feedback is Japan is a expensive place to ski! I am prepared to come back with an arm or a leg missing/

I certainly wouldn't be in my widest dream thinking you are nut. Don't like raw fish much but have no problem with the Japnese food.
ski holidays
In this site there is a wide range of possibilties of accommodations to suit all kind of tastes and depths of pockets. I have drawn up a list of possibilities to share with you. Please let me know if there are better deals around. Couldn't do this Christmas though as I have agreed to go with PG. Not after a night scene just some nice slopes for an intermediate weak in legs but strong in determination..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy