Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

S is for Sunscreen

Poster: A snowHead
Essential for spring and late season skiing. The sun is strong in the mountains and will peel unprotected skin from your face within a week Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
...or perhaps even within a day. Embarassed
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer, and then be suffering for the next week or two Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In L2A last week...

Factor 40 applied in the morning - stupidly not repeated in the afternoon - painful red face that night Crying or Very sad and the next morning. Lovely peeling nose this week!! Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did the nose blister thing as a child in Passo Tonale,never again. Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
got burnt to bugg**y in VT on the first very cloudy day in late April..... I now will use at least factor 30 all summer
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Unless like me, you just tan.... didnt wear sunscreen all season!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nadenoodlee,

You should be taking care now as you don't ant to look like those sun-wizened crones in 20 years time Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Worse still, just because you don't burn, you're still at risk of skin cancer.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer, I've sometimes wondered about that. Is the probability of getting skin cancer just a function of the total number of photons you absorb (and your own characteristics) rather than anything to do with the intensity over short periods?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman, AFAIK, there are two factors at play. First is total exposure to sunlight, basically the more you have, even if you don't burn, the greater the risk. However on top of that, if you have enough exposure in any particular session that you burn (again mainly a function of total short term exposure rather than intensity per se, although a higher intensity shortens the time taken to reach that exposure), then at that point you have done extra damage above and beyond that which you would have got from that level of exposure, and which further increases your level of risk.

If you see what I mean, which I'm not even sure that I do. And I'm not a dermatologist. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer, I seem to recall reading somewhere that Australians seem to have a very incidence of skin cancer caused by sun-exposure. When one takes into account the fact that Austriaia is mainly made up of north europeans, of fair skin, coming from mcountries where there is mostly little sunshine, the conclusion one comes to is that northern europeans lack the necessary pigmentation in their skin cells that must exist in countries where there is constant exposure to the sun. It would be interesting to see how much skin cancer is africa for example - I bet it is very low.

[ is it called melomena ?( spel ) ]
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kramer, yep, I follow!

hibernia, I'm sure Kramer will correct me if necessary, but I think there are two main types: basal cell carcinoma which is not particularly dangerous (my mum's had some of those) and malignant melanoma, which is very nasty indeed. A couple of years ago, one of my employees and an acquaintance both died of it at age 36. Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hibernia, there are three main types of skin cancer, Melanomas, BCCs (Basal cell carcinoma), and SCCs (Squamous cell carcinomas).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, i'll get it all lasered and lifted or whatever! If I even make it to being old!
snow report
Nadenoodlee, how about the BCC that could appear on your nose?
ski holidays
Kramer, dont patronise me, save it for your patients Razz my choice.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, absolutely.
snow report
Kramer, are you a medic ?!

Nadenoodlee,
Quote:
I'll just get it lasered and lifted or whatever
Is that meant to be a humourous throwaway line, because if not, then it's just dumb.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 4-06-06 10:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Why are "we" obssesed with getting a tan. Has anone here ever used a sunbed?

Pale is good.

Nadenoodlee, Dont be expecting any sympathy when your snozzle drops off Very Happy
snow report
In the USA Melanoma is the leading cause of cancer death among women ages 25-29. Shocked
latest report
Nickski, You must be pretty dumb if you cant work that out NehNeh
snow conditions
Worst sunburn I ever had was in Obergurgl during a snowstorm! I just completely forgot to put any suncream on. Ended up with second degree burns all over my face, meaning blistering, peeling, sleepless nights, more blistering, cortisone, more peeling, more blistering and worst of all comments from friends who all knew better and couldn't believe that anyone could be so stupid rolling eyes
I learnt the lesson. Never go skiing with less that factor 20 now. Not even in a snowstorm in January.
snow report
Nickski, yes I am, I thought that you knew that? Puzzled
ski holidays
hibernia, I believe that the rate in South Africa is pretty high - but I speculate that that's only counting those of European descent. I was quite badly burned there on an overcast day a few years back. I fear that the statistics might show that many black africans don't live long enough to worry about skin cancer Crying or Very sad
(for those who actually know - note the use of speculate and might, I accept that I may be completely wrong).
ski holidays
The sunscreen is slapped on the face every day, Winter or Summer, home or abroad. Factor 15 here, at least factor 30 elsewhere.
snow report
Kramer, that was the joke. At Eosb you were initially trying to keep it quiet . . .
snow report
I have been using Factor 30 in Berwick !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee, and you must be pretty dumb if you can't come up with a better line. A good friend of mine had bowel and (secondary) lung cancer. I've seen the effect of cancer first hand. It's horrific.
snow report
Nickski, I think that might have been firefly, I take it as a given that most people on here know.

Sorry to hear about your friend.
ski holidays
Nickski, Whilst that is awful, dont assume to know everything. I too have seen loved ones suffer and eventually succumb to cancer. My laser and lifting comment was related to sun-ageing, wrinkly ladies getting face lifts after too many years in the sun, a comment JT made about looking like a sun wizened hag or something.

Dont take things out of context and try and portray me as somebody im not
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, if it was just a flippant comment, then I don't see much point in pursuing it. I won't even pursue your patronising line about assuming to know everything
snow report
Anyway, back to sunscreen, don't be daft people, slap it on Smile
snow conditions
And make sure you use one with a good star rating as well as a high SPF.
snow conditions
Middle of last year my Mum had a chunk of leg removed with a melanoma and after a lot of unpleasant medication has been just been pronounced clear. But it's taken a huge toll on her general health and vitality.

I'm sure that Kramer will agree that on top of the external triggers of exposure to radiation etc. there is also a genetic element. Some people are more at risk than others so be aware of your family history.

Slap it on.
ski holidays
S is for Sunscreen and possibly school boy error,
for not having read this thread before the EoSB
just ask Snakeskin Si
snow conditions
The sun melted my phone screen two weeks ago in Tignes, took a week for it to work again. I just burnt the top of my ears, but was nice to top up the van man tan.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy